Steam powered wooden Drifter trawler, Formidable LT100, 1/20 scale by neptune

Looking forward to watching this develop. My grandfather was the Chief Engineer on one of the old steam drifters off the East Coast of the UK, he/we are from Scarborough. I have a photo of him somewhere during WW1, he would be around 15yrs old then, when the fishing vessel he was on stopped by a German U Boat, and he with other crews had to abandon ship and the fishing boats were sunk. They landed in Whitby, hence the "survivors" photograph.
Thank you for visiting my build, thats a nice bit of Family History you have about your Grandfather, I was born right up the top of the country in County Durham, then lived in Southampton right down the South where i was in the Merchant Navy before emigrating with my family to South Australia 46 years ago, I hope you enjoy my log as much as I enjoy cutting the wood,

best regards john.

Nice progress John,

It is interesting to see how you approach your build, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Steve for the encouragement and all the comments, however i dont think that I will be able to match your engineering skills, it is fantastic work that you are doing on your Steam Drifter,

best regards john,

94.jpg
Next up was a choice of propeller, I nearly bought a left handed propeller but when checking the book for details
I found out that they used a right handed propeller, I cannot find any explanation, the only thing I can think of is
it might be something to do with the gear boxes they were using,

93.jpg

so this is what i bought, it is a Raboesch 80mm right handed brass propeller with a 5mm thread, and the shaft
and tube is 300mm long stainless steel with a 5mm shaft threaded at both ends,

View attachment 203727
Next up was a choice of propeller, I nearly bought a left handed propeller but when checking the book for details
I found out that they used a right handed propeller, I cannot find any explanation, the only thing I can think of is
it might be something to do with the gear boxes they were using,

View attachment 203728

so this is what i bought, it is a Raboesch 80mm right handed brass propeller with a 5mm thread, and the shaft
and tube is 300mm long stainless steel with a 5mm shaft threaded at both ends,

Hi John,

Looking great.

Well spotted that is something that I didn't notice, O well bit late for my build. :oops:

If you are feeling like spending some money the Prop Shop UK have beautifully cast props.

I now have one of each a Raboesch and a prop shop one, it wasn't planned that way just the way it turned out.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great build so far with a lot of interesting details!
Looking forward to see how the ship will be in the end
Also you give me a lot of ideas for the next model ( very hard to implement now on Janet)
Good luck and full Speed Ahead!
Kind regards,Daniel

Great build so far with a lot of interesting details!
Looking forward to see how the ship will be in the end
Also you give me a lot of ideas for the next model ( very hard to implement now on Janet)
Good luck and full Speed Ahead!
Kind regards,Daniel
Thank you Daniel, sorry i have taken so long to reply, thank you for your nice comments,

best regards John.

Well the weather cooled has eased up a little bit, so i took advantage of the cool spell and cut some
wood for my first frame,

100.jpg
I am building her with the double frame over lapping timbers system,this shows the first two timbers,

101.jpg
and how they will sit on top of each other,

102.jpg
This frame is an experimental frame so That I can work out the best way to cut the frames,

103.jpg
and with all the timbers just sitting in place,

104.jpg
The full frame, just has to be cut back to the inside lines, from this frame I will work out how to use less
wood per frame,

105.jpg
and the frame sitting in place on the keel,

106.jpg
and a close up, these mid ship frames are pretty square forward and aft, once you start building the the more forward
frames you have to leave more wood on the front half of the frame to allow for the bevel and with the aft frames you
have to leave more on the back half of the frame, you will see what I mean later on,

10.jpg
This is how I cut the frames for my Fredreich Wilhelm Zu Perde, the above timbers are enough to build four
frames, I will probably end doing the same with the LT 100, see link below,
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...helm-zu-pferde-1-48-scale-by-euro-model.1322/

Last edited:
Back