• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Syren 1803 1:64 Model Shipways

Bowsprit stain colour

I am in the very early stages of the partially constructed bowsprit. Before staining all the masts I decided to go ahead with a stain for the bowsprit to see how it looks, which I am now hesitant about. (Yes, I previously made some samples :)).

The feedback on this forum is always excellent so I am soliciting opinions on the actual stain colour I used. Too harsh for the model size, not realistic, go for a more pine colour and so on? I will if necessary, depending on feedback, remake the bowsprit - yikes!

(Please note, the stubby dowel in the foremast position is just a holding piece so discount that).

Any feedback, opinions, constructive criticism (or even deconstructive criticism :D) will be well received. Thanks for your help, always appreciated.

View attachment 641252
Can you show the whole ship with sprit mast in place? How does the color fit with the overall look and not just the decking?
 
Bowsprit stain colour

I am in the very early stages of the partially constructed bowsprit. Before staining all the masts I decided to go ahead with a stain for the bowsprit to see how it looks, which I am now hesitant about. (Yes, I previously made some samples :)).

The feedback on this forum is always excellent so I am soliciting opinions on the actual stain colour I used. Too harsh for the model size, not realistic, go for a more pine colour and so on? I will if necessary, depending on feedback, remake the bowsprit - yikes!

(Please note, the stubby dowel in the foremast position is just a holding piece so discount that).

Any feedback, opinions, constructive criticism (or even deconstructive criticism :D) will be well received. Thanks for your help, always appreciated.

View attachment 641252
Good evening Roger. You got the consistency of the stain really good. It is difficult for me to judge as the bowsprit is very lonely at the moment ROTF so it “jumps” out at me. I think with the masts done that colour will work on your Syren. The real ships mostly used pine, fir or spruce but as you know they treated these with all sorts tar, fat oils etc ……freak a long way of saying I think your stain colour is mighty fine. ROTF. Cheers Grant
 
Good evening Roger. You got the consistency of the stain really good. It is difficult for me to judge as the bowsprit is very lonely at the moment ROTF so it “jumps” out at me. I think with the masts done that colour will work on your Syren. The real ships mostly used pine, fir or spruce but as you know they treated these with all sorts tar, fat oils etc ……freak a long way of saying I think your stain colour is mighty fine. ROTF. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant thanks for the feedback. As you can see I just posted a couple of photos following Paul’s post. Initially I leaned towards simulated pine masts then went with simulated fir, which meant a deeper colour as shown. That lonely bowsprit does indeed jump out at you ROTF. Trying to visualize all the same coloured masts and, as Erik mentioned, all the rigging in place it might work. I’m a little reluctant to redo that as yet unfinished bowsprit, with all the tiny fiddly parts, but if the general consensus leans towards a lighter stain then so be it, I will. Your comments about tar, fat oils and the like do give me an escape route though ROTF.
 
Good thinking Paul, I’ve attached a couple photos. Shadows and lighting are a little deceiving with tone variations on the bowsprit. Ignore the untreated stubby placeholder dowels.

View attachment 641322

View attachment 641323
I'd run with it. A nice contrast with the remainder of the ship that will look more cohesive when the rests of the masts are in place.
 
Back
Top