Syren 1803 (Model Shipways) 1:64, by Will @ Trilogy

I've been working on the Syren since Christmas 2020 when my daughter gave me the kit as a present. Worked on it steadily until I thought I could make 2 model simultaneously. I found this hard to balance both so I decided to concentrate on Syren until finished. I think I should post a couple of pictures at the present state of completion.tempImage5Hj965.png

tempImage10amYi.jpg

tempImageCuf2Kt.jpg
So this is where the log starts. I have to finish the ratlines on main mast and the rig the topmast shrouds, backstays and forestays. Sorry the pictures got rotated no sure how but I'll work on posting.

Giving my eyes a break from tying ratline clove hitches and posting how I space them. I borrowed a method from a fellow modeler to use pieces of wood the width of the ratline spacing.
Below are the spacing boards cut to the spacing required minus the width of the ratline rope knot. In this case the spacing is .25 minus .01 times 2 or .02 so the board is .22 wide. 320 grit sandpaper was glued to the boards to keep them from slipping. I've found that using glue sticks work much better than rubber cement and there're easier to remove water dissolves the glue.
tempImageSQUkcm.jpg

I plane boards on each side of the shrouds and clip them together. I use alligator clips but anything will work. I find that another benefit of this method is keeping the shrouds from being pulled together also allows the knots to be pulled tight with misshaping the shrouds.
tempImageuBnr1C.jpg

Hope this helps. It really works for me, so now on to knots. Yippee ROTF

Looking at what you have impressively achieved Will, I can see I have much to learn. I will be watching this log with much interest, and although I have a few years before I start my rigging on the Fly, I do know there is much to learn, especially as I currently know nothing!

Lloyd

Beautiful work. I've been working on my Syren a little over 2 years now and really appreciate many fine details on your build.
Could you give us some tips on how your cannon blocks and tackles are so tight, straight and beautifully coiled?

Daju
I’m on a little holiday and won’t be home until the 17th and will gladly post how I used another’s method to make the coils. As to rigging I’ll have to go back and read my notes. Always glad to help that’s what the sites all about.

Back