Kit review Syren US Brig - Model Shipways Scale 1:64

Sure, non problem.
If they have one I’ll shoot it.
Model Expo is expanding now with more warehouses.

Thank you for the review and pictures. Just ordered the kit a few minuets ago.
First of all from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
A building log of this interesting kit model would be very interesting

@Bluebeard, thanks for doing a great review of the Syren. I started work on the ship a while ago and your close-up photos have already helped me. Being able to zoom in on a photo for detail using my iPad is an advantage too.
Thanks,
Roger

Roger, I glad you could use my pictures, that’s the whole idea.
I try to shoot sections of the model as close as possible as reference when it come to actually building the model.

Hi John, the Syren builds into a wonderful model. Enough to be challenging, perfect for a builder who wants to just build the kit as is but also excellent for those who want to go a little beyond the kit. I am sure you will enjoy it, as I do.

Yes, I think that I may go for a lot of the aftermarket stuff too. Up until a year ago when I started Endeavor and Terror I hadn't built a ship model other than those two which I turned into dioramas of ships undergoing construction with no masting or rigging because they were poor kits in my opinion and I didn't want to spend my time rigging them. In
1976 I started to build a scratch-built Victory and put it in its case in 2000 after about 5,500 shop time(plus research which was a big deal back then before the internet.) I was about to do another scratch-built model using Harold Haun's method and plans. Then I got an offer I couldn't refuse from a museum in Ottawa to build them aircraft dioramas for display. I have heard that the Confederacy and Syren were some of the best out there. I chose Syren because I feel that I can finish it hopefully before I go to "the happy hunting ground."

Last edited:
You probably know that if you ever misplace, brake or loose a part, feel free to ask the guys in Model Expo and they will send you a replacement free of charge.

I have built every one of their model airways wooden aircraft models, some of them twice for my dioramas and most of their model trailways old west models as well plus parts and pieces over the years. In fact, they once sent me an aircraft model for free for being a loyal customer. John is a super guy.

That’s all folks.
Let me know what would like to see next from Model Shipways and I will dedicate some time to go over and shoot more pictures.

I guess I’m improving on my pictures. But I’m working on a bigger and better Shot Box with the help and ideas from Donnie’s “Shot Box forum”.
Thank You Donnie.
Get well soon.
Thanks for the review this and a few YouTube videos helped me in making my decision to get this kit, which has now arrived.

20231019_203247.jpg

20231019_213708.jpg

20231019_213718.jpg

Back