Tender Avos - Master Korabel 1:72

9. Once the wipe-on-poly covered hull was dry, I proceeded to the final stage of planking. The wales needed to be trimmed to they fit counter perfectly. The first layer of wales was easy to do, because it had already been glued and it would be hidden behind the second final layer:
1.jpg

2.jpg

The second layer was a lot more difficult. The manual simply said to carefully trim it, but I thought it was too easy to mess something up this way, so I cut a template plank from one of billets first:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

After all I was pretty happy how this difficult area turned out:

6.jpg
7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10. Next step was finishing up taffrail details and preparing bulwarks for gunwales:
1.jpg

The tops of the bulwarks needed to be sanded flat:
2.jpg

Finally gunwales could be glued. They consisted of two layers and gluing with hot iron was very useful here:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here is taffrail finally glued to the hull:

6.jpg

I want to repeat the words by Heinrich - very clean and accurate
Your wife can make photos only what is in front of the linse - and this is your model - very good

Thank you all for all kind word! They are very encouraging!

11. Before starting work on hatches I finished up some details on the keel.

In the stern:
7.jpg

And the horseshoe in the bow:
11.jpg

12. Once the hull was all done I switched to making all hatches, gratings and the companionway. I used an aftermarket lasercut grating instead of the kit provided one. I think they look much better at this scale:
1.jpg
2.jpg3.jpg

Once all these little parts were built I added hinges, handles and eyebolts:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

After that I attached all the cleats and the eyebolts to the hull (It is very important to secure all necessary blocks to the eyebolts before gluing them to the hull!) and added the binnacle:
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Great progress and big motivating for my project. Just a question: do you have any idea for a stand for the model?

I was under the impression that the Phoenix was Mr Korabel's flagship but after seeing this build I am not so sure anymore. :) Whichever it may be - your build is a great advertisement for them.
Thanks you! Interestingly, I notice that Tender Avos has been becoming more popular than other MK ships. Polotsk/Phoenix used to be most popular ones, but not anymore.

So clean and accurate - sometimes it is looking like a 3D-animation (I mean that you can not find any imperfection like scratches etc...)
Such photos are the best advertisement for a kit manufacturer (or retailer ;) )
It is also very good to see and recognize, that manufacturer like Master Korabel are not take rest on their success, they are not stopping the improvement of the quality within their new developments

Back