The "Chinese" Harvey

The thing that is scratch built which I've lost the most of is euphroes. They are so tricky to make without splitting the wood while you drill hole out that you make 4 of them before you get 2 which look decent at 1:100 scale. Thin walnut sticks like to split, so I've learned to drill the holes first, then whittle or sand the wood away to shape the part around the holes. Euphroes are those two brown things at the top of the crows feet below.

1713058388967.png

Good morning. Just caught up with your build. You are going a fantastic job for your first ship. Having Kurt ( who really knows his stuff) is a huge benefit. Kudo Kurt on this . For me the most important thing is the fun factor…..enjoy. Cheers Grant

Good morning. Just caught up with your build. You are going a fantastic job for your first ship. Having Kurt ( who really knows his stuff) is a huge benefit. Kudo Kurt on this . For me the most important thing is the fun factor…..enjoy. Cheers Grant
Thanks! And yeah, Kurt has been a GOD SEND for me on this. I probably could have finished my build by now but his prompts have caused a LOT of re-work and a slower pace. All of which I am truly grateful for!

Looks like you and Kurt are still on the bikes?

M.

Always willing to help when I can.

I still ride the BMW and the Yamaha T-Dub (TW-200). Motorcycling is fun!
Gosh I wish I could still ride! Unfortunately, I have degenerative disk disease (which just means you are getting old). But it started to affect me back in my jet ski days about twenty years ago.

I SOOO would like to get a Royal Enfield just to tool around on (no long trips). But I fear it would sit in the garage much like the Super Jets did as I learned about my physical limitations.

Always willing to help when I can.

I still ride the BMW and the Yamaha T-Dub (TW-200). Motorcycling is fun!
Gosh I wish I could still ride! Unfortunately, I have degenerative disk disease (which just means you are getting old). But it started to affect me back in my jet ski days about twenty years ago.

I SOOO would like to get a Royal Enfield just to tool around on (no long trips). But I fear it would sit in the garage much like the Super Jets did as I learned about my physical limitations.
There is nothing like riding a bike-freedom. I have joined you, for a while, with a back injury. I had an “off” on a mountain trial on my Husqvarna a while ago and have a crack in my vertebrae. Lucky nothing serious but riding is out- plenty drugs and ship building time tho. Cheers Grant

Holly S**T, dude! I'm glad you are still with us!!!! How did you make it back from the "off"?!?

And thanks for the bike and boats info.

M.

Holly S**T, dude! I'm glad you are still with us!!!! How did you make it back from the "off"?!?

And thanks for the bike and boats info.

M.
Laid down my street bike (SRX600) once or twice in Japan while exploring the winding mountain roads. Sometimes those roads just STOPPED being pavement around a corner and then were just dirt or pea gravel! And I was on street tires and so would FREAK OUT and bail. And my riding partner (who did MX since, like, age 6) would stop beside me and laugh, and laugh, and laugh!

There is nothing like riding a bike-freedom. I have joined you, for a while, with a back injury. I had an “off” on a mountain trial on my Husqvarna a while ago and have a crack in my vertebrae. Lucky nothing serious but riding is out- plenty drugs and ship building time tho. Cheers Grant
OUCH. I have L4 and L5 discs damaged but can still ride pain free and for over 15 hours. Question is, for how many more years? Back to the model though...
Mondrasek, are you planning making sails for your schooner?

Last edited:
OUCH. I have L4 and L5 discs damaged but can still ride pain free and for over 15 hours. Question is, for how many more years? Back to the model though...
Mondrasek, are you planning making sails for your schooner?
The "kit" actually came with sails. But I doubt I will set them. They appear to be laser cut and still attached to a piece of striped cloth of some synthetic material. Not sure it would take to being threaded to near an edge without breaking out easily. And with the difficulty I am having even rigging the stays at 1:96 I would think sails should just not even be considered!

The "kit" actually came with sails. But I doubt I will set them. They appear to be laser cut and still attached to a piece of striped cloth of some synthetic material. Not sure it would take to being threaded to near an edge without breaking out easily. And with the difficulty I am having even rigging the stays at 1:96 I would think sails should just not even be considered!
I made sails for a man-of-war at 1:100 scale, but those sails were much larger and easier to set. Instead of sewing the bolt rope on the edges of the sail cloth, PVA glue was used to actually glue the bolt rope around the edge of each sail. That strengthened the sail considerably and lines tied to the clues and cringles didn't tear out. With this tiny schooner making sails and fitting them and their running rigging into such small spaces was more of a challenge that I was willing to take on for a $12 boat kit. There are better models to devote that sort of work to.

Not too bad. They simulated both edges of the cloth panels for the sail seams.
Is there any reason not to begin roping the horizontals into the rats before finishing the other vertical stays? I'd like to do that as I think it would be a low-level stress reliever during the week. I have some black thread on the way for that and the seizing. The stuff that came with the 'kit' is very lousy. But since I started with it I will stick with it for the uprights of the stays I think.

Also, EVERYTHING about the stays/deadeyes went to sh** over the past week! I mean, it was going smooth as butter when I started (what, a couple months ago?) but then started to fall apart as I continued. I've had to re-do several of the lower deadeyes. It is almost as if when I learn a better technique, anything I accomplished (with apparent ease) before that will explode and demand I re-do it with the new and improved tech!

IMG_0412.jpeg

Is there any reason not to begin roping the horizontals into the rats before finishing the other vertical stays? I'd like to do that as I think it would be a low-level stress reliever during the week. I have some black thread on the way for that and the seizing. The stuff that came with the 'kit' is very lousy. But since I started with it I will stick with it for the uprights of the stays I think.

Also, EVERYTHING about the stays/deadeyes went to sh** over the past week! I mean, it was going smooth as butter when I started (what, a couple months ago?) but then started to fall apart as I continued. I've had to re-do several of the lower deadeyes. It is almost as if when I learn a better technique, anything I accomplished (with apparent ease) before that will explode and demand I re-do it with the new and improved tech!

View attachment 443191
Part of the process of building these models is coming up with better ways to do things like ratlining and shroud rigging than we previously used. You did note that the second time you rigged a shroud it got a bit easier and you came up with a different and better approach to doing it. That goes for every mode you do. They get easier and you improve your techniques. All you need is the patience to keep building and the compassion to forgive yourself for previous work that either had mistakes or didn't turn out as well. NO ONE can make any model 100% perfect the first time, or even the 100th time. They do get better as you go, though, and that's a great comfort.

Back