The Druid Build

finished up on the assembly of the cannons and carriages and have them installed and rigged, I used Birchwood Brass Black and the cannons and Tamiya hull red for the carriages, I have decided to use the Hull red for some of the parts to give the ship just a touch of color! the Brass black worked great. also used it on all the brass wire and firttings! Things are going along fairly well have run into a few issues but have been able to overcome most that is whats nice about working with wood. It is forgiving:) The ships Instructions just creates issues for me due to the lack of understandable measurment info, limited explaination written and photoed / english . It does make you think! I also decided to use Ulta Matt Varnish by Vallego for the finish. I do not care for the shinny look matt works good for me. the blue tape has helped me stop breaking that front piece I am a little slow took mke 3 times:rolleyes:View attachment 431815View attachment 431816View attachment 431817View attachment 431818
very nice Bandido

Progressing along! Building scale models is a matter of a Millimeter, 1/2 / 1 mm here one there, and then its modification time. some are easy to fix some are more complicated. and at times can be very distressful and annoying, but also rewarding when fixed! I believe design software does not provide any wiggle room in its calculations when scaling the original ship plans. I try to make all my calculations as close to the required specs but when dealing with scales of over 50 to 1 or more, or even less it's tough, mine has been the height and angle of each deck, and the deck truss placement with this model its 3 decks!! you figure a 1/2 mil to scale at 50 to 0ne is 25 millimeters that would be unacceptable tolerance when building the real ship!!, for me dealing with measurements of a 1/2 mil or less is tough :oops: . even when using a good digital caliper. the places on the model ship you need to try and get a measurement is even harder. I am not complaining as I enjoy all the aspects of the ups and downs of model ship building but as I said above, they can be distressing at times, especially when it is an MFG. design issue!! :(IMG_20240305_171225018.jpgIMG_20240305_171439457.jpgIMG_20240305_171219190.jpg

completed the planking on the forward and stern decks, I also decided to distress the decks using a dry brush technique with flat brown acrylic paint I think it looks pretty good, but I'm still thinking about doing the exterior Hull! IMG_20240307_180308373.jpgIMG_20240307_181056562.jpg

very good overall appearance - you are on a very good way :cool:

I really like how the model looks - I do realize that as with any kit, Unicorn is not perfect, but if I look at the quality of that Pear wood (evident by the extent to which it can be finely finished), it is just something else. Unicorn kits finish extremely well and present beautifully!

Henrich: I agree totally both kits I am working on, the Druid and the Le Soliel Royal have been a pleasure to work on like with all kits they have their good points. difficult ones!!

I decided to work on the dingy for the ship, I was not looking forward to assembling the small boat it usually turns out to be an issue for me, and as with the others, this one lived up to its predecessors. it took 3 days for me to complete, with some modification and imagination. I have a few more structural areas to complete and will be ready to finish the mast structures, and yards and prepare for the rigging. On this kit, I will be using the rigging line supplied with the kit, on the Le Soleil I purchased an upgraded line. IMG_20240318_175645112.jpgIMG_20240318_175542600.jpg00000000000000000000000000000000

Finally finished the long boat installed on the deck and tied down, glad that project is done, assembled the ladders and installed those and now working on the bow Sprint support area, and this has developed into a task, but worked through most of it might have to use my imagination on the vertical support beams as the ones supplied might not fit we will see?

IMG_20240322_175654243.jpg

IMG_20240322_175636570.jpg

IMG_20240322_175554097.jpg

IMG_20240322_175607454.jpg

looking for some feed back on my attempt to weather some surfaces of my ship? I did the main decks and the long boat using a dry brush technic I used on my formula one model race cars

Grant, Thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate it. I have witnessed some remarkable outcomes with this effect, but I believe in moderation. Subtlety can create a significant impact. is good

Back