The newbiest newb that ever newbed

MsL

I had a lifelong dream to build a ship. I am a teacher, teaching in the Middle East. I dabble in crafts and accepted a 100 day challenge, and this is it. I have never built anything like this before. They were just a little girl's wishes, in a land where girls, little or not, never built ships, little or not. And so, l shall. How, l don't know. I know it will materialise. That's all l know. Apart from that, l know nothing. I googled, and destiny led me here over the past two nights. And l find myself a little anxious, knowing that it would take the materials too long to get here, if l order online; and l find myself searching for the next best thing: cardstock. I must make do. I must save costs, till l actually accomplish something...and so many questions. The first one: could l print out the plan on A4 paper? This is all l need to know for now. It may be a silly question, but it's the starting point for me. I intend to make all the little attachments from clay and upcycled materials. I want to make this. No....l have to. Please understand. And thanks, admin, for the inclusion :) l must...Black Pearl. I just must.

Welcome to the forums Ms L ! :)

If you can get a set of plans fast enough, I'm sure you can copy it onto A4 paper. Depending on what size you want the model to be, you may need more than one sheet per component. Then you would have to be very careful in connecting them.

Reactions: MsL
Welcome to the forums Ms L ! :)

If you can get a set of plans fast enough, I'm sure you can copy it onto A4 paper. Depending on what size you want the model to be, you may need more than one sheet per component. Then you would have to be very careful in connecting them.
Thank you for the speedy response. I have the plans, but no instructions, and will be relying on watching others. Thanks to you, It's full steam ahead! I will start with this and see what happens. It's going to be a lot of trial and error, I'm guessing, but it's a start. I am excited.

So you only have a set of plans, that means you are going to build from scratch?
That will make it a lot more complex, but not impossible. :)
Take your time and go slow.
Your first lesson is to trial fit and adjust 80% of the time and only glue 20%. :)
Most common would be to build the hull structure first by building up the frame work then the deck and hull planks.
If you have questions, please ask here on the forums. :)
Who are the plans you have from?

Jeff

So you only have a set of plans, that means you are going to build from scratch?
Your first lesson is to trial fit and adjust 80% of the time and only glue 20%. :)
Most common would be to build the hull structure first by building up the frame work then the deck and hull planks.

Jeff
Correct! I will be scratching away. I got the plans from a Youtube video. He had adjusted Mellpapa's plans, who posted them for free. Adjust 80, glue 20. Useful advice. Got it. Any info is useful to me, to be honest. So thank you, kind Sir.

Correct! I will be scratching away. I got the plans from a Youtube video. He had adjusted Mellpapa's plans, who posted them for free. Adjust 80, glue 20. Useful advice. Got it. Any info is useful to me, to be honest. So thank you, kind Sir.
My pleasure. Always glad to help as are many of the others on here.

Jeff

Let's start at the beginning of your journey. Do you have a specific type of ship that you want to build? There are so many to choose from in different times period and from different nations. Gathering information and planning each step in building is 80% of what modelers to when building. First, you need to know what direction you want to go, then you start taking steps to get there.

Hallo @MsL
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
The Black Pearl in cardboard - a challenge, but I am sure a lot of members will try to help and assist.
Maybe you do not know, but @mellpapa is also a member here in our forum, you can find a building log of his actual project Silent Mary

but also his Black Pearl has a place here in our forum

Let's start at the beginning of your journey. Do you have a specific type of ship that you want to build? There are so many to choose from in different times period and from different nations. Gathering information and planning each step in building is 80% of what modelers to when building. First, you need to know what direction you want to go, then you start taking steps to get there.
Hi and thanks for the response. Yes. I am on a quest to sail away on the Black Pearl. So far, in the past couple of days, l have assembled my materials, prepared a surface, got the plans, and am trying very hard to find a video that will recommend a smple enough tool to print them out in A4 to scale. Today l tried 2 different applications but l couldn't get it to work. I want the skeleton base to be about 35-40 cm long. even bought a second-hand printer (this was pending, anyway), ink and paper, set it up, and tomorrow l would like to start cutting. There is progress:)) l will try to figure that out tomorrow. I am excited to actually. start it. However, l am well aware that l need to do my prep first, if l want to make it fabulous, especially as a total amateur. I have been reading blogs, watching videos, and the experts do their thing, and it's been quite a ride just watching, in awe. One-day soon, l hope to hoist my own sails.

Hallo @MsL
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
The Black Pearl in cardboard - a challenge, but I am sure a lot of members will try to help and assist.
Maybe you do not know, but @mellpapa is also a member here in our forum, you can find a building log of his actual project Silent Mary

but also his Black Pearl has a place here in our forum
Thank you so much for including me. I am surrounded by such a sea of information and people in the know. I am so happy to be here. It feels like the right place, and everyone is so nice.

OH Wow. I am humbled. I am a huge fan of his:) Today, l have been ogling his staircase and deck.
I shall post pics once l am on my way. The model plan hurdle will hopefully be overcome tomorrow.

I am going to look at the links you sent me now. Thank you

Hi and thanks for the response. Yes. I am on a quest to sail away on the Black Pearl. So far, in the past couple of days, l have assembled my materials, prepared a surface, got the plans, and am trying very hard to find a video that will recommend a smple enough tool to print them out in A4 to scale. Today l tried 2 different applications but l couldn't get it to work. I want the skeleton base to be about 35-40 cm long. even bought a second-hand printer (this was pending, anyway), ink and paper, set it up, and tomorrow l would like to start cutting. There is progress:)) l will try to figure that out tomorrow. I am excited to actually. start it. However, l am well aware that l need to do my prep first, if l want to make it fabulous, especially as a total amateur. I have been reading blogs, watching videos, and the experts do their thing, and it's been quite a ride just watching, in awe. One-day soon, l hope to hoist my own sails.
So, you said you want it to be 35-40 cm long. What size do the plans show it if you just print normally? My next question is what operating system do you have on your computer?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry for my delay. I have had endless issues trying to resize it. I suppose that was being a little too adventurous on my part. So l decided to play it safe and stickk with the dimensions of the original plan. It prints out to exactly 57cm for the keel. I have Windows 10 and l just printed it normally, but on A4. I had tried several ways to do this with various software, but the only thing that worked was Adobe Reader, free version. You convert the image into a PDF file, click poster, greyscale, and print. It prints the whole pic (each image needs to be printed separately) onto 8-13 A4 pages, depending on the size of the image. The setback is that you have to piece some sections together like a jigsaw puzzle, but the scale remains exactly the same. I have already pieced it together and got started. I know there will be bumps along the way but l will try my best to push through. Let me show you what I've done so far. I am not done with the cutting of these pieces yet. I will have to adjust the grooves depending on the width of the material l use.

20230413_233757.jpg

Jeff

Hi
Have you seen this channel? The guy is making ships out of plywood and ice cream sticks. He also adds plans to be printed straight in A4.

You're welcome. I suggest starting with Bellona video. He uses there no power tools

Back