The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Daniel. I may have missed it but what is next? We need to have a new log of something special from Daniel 20. Cheers Grant
Good morning Grant, I have not yet decided on my next build but I can tell you that CAF's La Requin Chebec is at the top of my list for the moment. You and Peter @Ptèr have certainly set the standard for this type of ship. So, what a challenge that would be.

Good morning Grant, I have not yet decided on my next build but I can tell you that CAF's La Requin Chebec is at the top of my list for the moment. You and Peter @Ptèr have certainly set the standard for this type of ship. So, what a challenge that would be.
I would love you to build that. It is an awesome kit and the best looking Xebec by far. You would certainly do something special here if you went down this path. Cheers Grant

Dear Daniel,

Sorry for my late reply, but I want to congratulate you on this extraordinairy and most beautifull built and result of your ship BlueNose. I’ve enjoyed your built very much and really appreciate all the details you put into her. I’m sure you can handle the ship Le Requin with ease after this one and you would have another museum piece in your collection. That type of ship (Xebec) has something special if you ask me and it would be such a fun built to do. Totally different hull shape and lateen rigging.

Again well done my friend and respect for the cleanness and detailled model. Just amazing!

Peter

Dear Daniel,

Sorry for my late reply, but I want to congratulate you on this extraordinairy and most beautifull built and result of your ship BlueNose. I’ve enjoyed your built very much and really appreciate all the details you put into her. I’m sure you can handle the ship Le Requin with ease after this one and you would have another museum piece in your collection. That type of ship (Xebec) has something special if you ask me and it would be such a fun built to do. Totally different hull shape and lateen rigging.

Again well done my friend and respect for the cleanness and detailled model. Just amazing!

Peter
Thank you for the kind words, Peter. The La Requin Chebec would truly test my skill set.

Good Saturday evening all.
My lower shrouds are screwed, glued and nailed so to speak. I know I've given a little too much exposure on this, but I made some small adjustments with the tie off by lowering them as close as I could get the horizontal shear pole. Strictly an appearance thing. The first photo is a closeup of the special tie off knot (one of those knots that I struggle with for some reason), in its loose position for clarity.

View attachment 397703

Next is my method of holding the shear pole in position just prior to tying in and gluing.

View attachment 397704

Next are various views of the finished result. I will use white touchup paint on the brass chain straps just below the lower dead eyes.

View attachment 397706View attachment 397707View attachment 397708

Thanks for looking in.
Bonjour Daniel,
Pouvez vous m'indiquer le diametre de vos cordages car je pense en commander. Le cordage fourni dans le kit n'est pas top.
Merco pour votre aide
Dominique

Hello Dom,
As a general rule I scale my rope work up by 2.7 to 3.0 times from what would be considered true 1:72 or 1:75 scale. There are several reasons I do this, but the primary reason is I like the look of the heavy rigging from a distance, it just seems to look better to me. So, if you're interested in holding your rigging at true scale you will need to divide the diameters I am about to give you by a factor of 2.7.

My shroud lines = 1.2mm dia.
My rat lines = 0.28mm dia.
Majority of my running rigging = 0.7mm dia.

Hello Dom,
As a general rule I scale my rope work up by 2.7 to 3.0 times from what would be considered true 1:72 or 1:75 scale. There are several reasons I do this, but the primary reason is I like the look of the heavy rigging from a distance, it just seems to look better to me. So, if you're interested in holding your rigging at true scale you will need to divide the diameters I am about to give you by a factor of 2.7.

My shroud lines = 1.2mm dia.
My rat lines = 0.28mm dia.
Majority of my running rigging = 0.7mm dia.
Merci pour vos infos ça va bien m'aider à choisir mes futurs cordages
bien cordialement, Dom

Hello Dom, if you're willing to spend some quality rigging time, Peter, @Peter Voogt, prepared a very helpful spreadsheet, containing amongst others block- and rope sizes. It's different from Dan's approach, but also gives a convincing look on your model: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...ements-by-jenson-lankford-and-chapelle.10917/
Merci beaucoup, je vais étudier votre tableau. Dans un premier temps j'ai commandé le cordage en Allemagne j'ai hate de vérifier si la qualité est au rendez vous

Vb
Good evening, everyone, I have been focused on the main mast crosstrees and fittings that will support the Main Sail Peak Halyard. We begin with the two drop rings at the front of and hang down from the crosstrees. Past experience has shown this to be a fitting that can pull out at the worst moment, so I extended it up through the member and bent it over into a little recess I created.

View attachment 394371View attachment 394372

After glue down of the crosstrees I placed the banding rings above and the throat Halyard Hanger. I started by just trying to glue and hold the bands in place but after curing all night then trimming them, they just came apart. So, to heck with that, I soldered them off mast then easily trimmed and drilled the holes for the rings.

View attachment 394373View attachment 394374

Next came stropping the 4.5mm blocks with 0.4mm wire and putting a hook on the end. I had to make a multi jig since all this is so small to work with.
I decided to go with the brass wire because, well I like the shine.

View attachment 394375View attachment 394376View attachment 394377View attachment 394378

And here is a partial finished product.

View attachment 394380

Since I will be adding sails there will be additional blocks and fittings, I'm sure so more studying is in store.
Hope you enjoy and happy modeling!
Bonjour Daniel,
Je cherche des blocks de 4,5 mm: les avez vous acheté chez Dry Dock Models ? Je n'ai pas trouvé de marchand français
Merci pour votre aide, Dom

Vb
Bonjour Daniel,
Je cherche des blocks de 4,5 mm: les avez vous acheté chez Dry Dock Models ? Je n'ai pas trouvé de marchand français
Hello Dom, I did purchase all the after-market blocks for this kit from Dry Dock. They have all the sizes including 4.5mm.

Vb
Bonjour Daniel,

Hello Dom, I did purchase all the after-market blocks for this kit from Dry Dock. They have all the sizes including 4.5mm.

Dom, you could also try Hismodel, might be a bit easier and quicker:

Good morning, everyone, after 12 months and 13 days I have a finished Bluenose Schooner I am proud to present for your review. Unfortunately, you will not see any rope hanks, I made up a dozen of them, but they all look really bad, for some reason I have never been able to produce decent ones. For the cable holding down the barrels I did add hold down hooks and the last item I installed was the ships wheel. For those of you currently working on this model, the wheel is very brittle so be cautious when handling it. So here it is.

View attachment 431668View attachment 431669View attachment 431670View attachment 431671View attachment 431672View attachment 431673View attachment 431674View attachment 431675View attachment 431676View attachment 431677

I thank everyone who joined me in building this ship, it would have been difficult beyond reason if not for your help. A special thanks to Johan @RDN1954 for sending me the sail templates which without I probably would have invented some never before heard curse words. And to Peter @Peter Voogt who I was able to gather so much wonderful technical data regarding all the pulleys and hardware needed to properly set the sails on. None of this type of information is available on the kit plans as they make no provisions for sails. Also, a special thank you to Heinrich @Heinrich who made this kit available to us and who moderates this branch of the forum, he makes this build possible through his connections with Yuanqing Models. I will submit these photos to Donnie through a PM and see if he will post it in the forum's gallery.

Until next time and as always Happy Modeling!

View attachment 431678

View attachment 431679
congratulations my friend, it's a beautiful model that you have created :) Okay

Back