The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello everyone, I hit a milestone, all frames are now in place. The transom frames were the most difficult, after dry fitting I had to glue up the end pieces then attach it as a unit to the frame support piece. Well, that required sanding the notches in various locations a little at a time until it slid into place.
IMG_2466.jpgIMG_2468.jpgIMG_2469.jpg

The transom section is not a perfect fit but close enough for final fairing along with the rest of the hull.
Hope you enjoy till next update.

Hello everyone, I hit a milestone, all frames are now in place. The transom frames were the most difficult, after dry fitting I had to glue up the end pieces then attach it as a unit to the frame support piece. Well, that required sanding the notches in various locations a little at a time until it slid into place.
View attachment 367737View attachment 367738View attachment 367739

The transom section is not a perfect fit but close enough for final fairing along with the rest of the hull.
Congratulations Daniel. That really looks wonderful! Have a great Easter!

Good morning once again everyone. Peter @Peter Voogt reminded me to take a look at the cathedral effect. To my eye I would say the alignments created are within an acceptable tolerance. This is about a third of the frames installed so hopefully this trend continues. Check it out.

View attachment 367647View attachment 367648View attachment 367649

More to follow.
Looks great Daniel! Fantastic job!
What is amazing in the cathedral view, is the deck beams are at the upper notch where the frames are doubled and the railing is at the lower part of the notch. The rest of the frame is cut off!
Makes you wonder why they made the frames so tall? It just makes it harder to work inside the hull. ;)

Congrats on the first milestone! She looks beautiful! Fun work ahead doing the sister keelson and lower beams! ;)

Good morning once again everyone. Peter @Peter Voogt reminded me to take a look at the cathedral effect. To my eye I would say the alignments created are within an acceptable tolerance. This is about a third of the frames installed so hopefully this trend continues. Check it out.

View attachment 367647View attachment 367648View attachment 367649

More to follow.
As always an impressive sight, even when partial.
When permanently attaching the frames, it might be useful to apply spacers to ensure correct frame pitches; it did wonders for my build.

Last edited:
When permanently attaching the frames, it might be useful to apply spacers to ensure correct frame pitches; it did wonders for my build.
Thanks for the advice, Johan, I think they would be required during the fairing process as well as installation of the lower longitudinal stiffeners in some locations. If there are sections where the spacing is very close to the plan distance, then shouldn't need them.

Thanks for the advice, Johan, I think they would be required during the fairing process as well as installation of the lower longitudinal stiffeners in some locations. If there are sections where the spacing is very close to the plan distance, then shouldn't need them.
Daniel,
Prior to adding the support planks for the deck beams (they run horizontal at the bottom of the notch, where frame thickness is doubled), You will add the waterway boards with all of the notches, it will not be glued, but just put in place as a spacer to ensure all frames are the correct width apart. While the waterway boards are temporarily in place, you will glue in the deck beam support planks to the frames. Hope that makes sense, it is in the instructions.
As Johan recommended, at glue up of the frames to the keel, I used spacer boards to ensure the frames could not get twisted. If there is a snug fit between frame and keel notch, and the keel notch is square to the keel, then we can assume the frames are reasonably square to the keel. The waterway board will ensure any deviance is corrected prior to installing the deck beam supports. So do not skip that, as it is a chore, due to possible adjustments of the notches in the waterway boards! ;)
By the time you think about fairing the hull, trust me... it will be rigid with beams!

add the waterway boards with all of the notches, it will not be glued, but just put in place as a spacer to ensure all frames are the correct width apart.
Thank you for the heads up, Dean. I just finished gluing in those tiny multibeveled wings #58 to the transom ribs. My next step is to read ahead before I do anything, and I will take special notice of your suggestion.

A very nice job, Daniel. And special the transom frames looks very very nice. It are parts that can give you a headache.
Regards, Peter

Back