The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hmmm, in my last post only one of the assemblies is incorrect. They should be mirror images of each other so here comes a quick redo.

View attachment 367849
Hi Daniel. The tops of those little parts must be shifting a bit upwards:
67EE3395-7C1A-477E-94F3-07FF1B0CA8F0.jpeg
The picture in the manual is not in line with the drawings.
Because the bow is going upwards. Please hold them on the keel agains the 1st frame and then you can also see the line you have to sand on the bottom in order to follow the rabbet in the keel.
The tops can eventually sanded later when you have the line of the railing.
Regard, Peter

Thanks Peter, I see what you mean when holding the assembly against the 1st frame. I was wondering about the 3mm slope so I shall wait later as you say and match the rail line.

This next update features the keelson installation. This amazing 3-piece notched stringer took me several hours to de-char and file to fit along the top side of the keel over the frames. Once properly fitted I removed them and placed the faux tree nails for effect then permanently glued them in.
IMG_2477.jpgIMG_2478.jpg

I laid a couple of strips of Obeche onto the cradle to help spread the load and have better support.
IMG_2476.jpg
I see hours and hours of sanding ahead, my little 2.5-gal shop vac is getting a workout.
Till next time,

This next update features the keelson installation. This amazing 3-piece notched stringer took me several hours to de-char and file to fit along the top side of the keel over the frames. Once properly fitted I removed them and placed the faux tree nails for effect then permanently glued them in.
View attachment 367980View attachment 367981

I laid a couple of strips of Obeche onto the cradle to help spread the load and have better support.
View attachment 367984
I see hours and hours of sanding ahead, my little 2.5-gal shop vac is getting a workout.
Till next time,
The keelson fits nicely, Daniel. Labour-intensive parts with those 55+ notches to slide with a 4-sided fit over and in those frames.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 367980View attachment 367981

View attachment 367984
Till next time,
Good morning Daniel. Wow. This is brilliant work. I am super impressed. Your first POF as well! Cheers Grant

Dear Daniel. My friend, please accept my apologies for my long absence. My heartiest congratulations for completing the hull frames (including those pesky ones at the stern)! The completed work looks superb even without any sanding or fairing. You are on a very good wicket here.

Dear Daniel. My friend, please accept my apologies for my long absence. My heartiest congratulations for completing the hull frames (including those pesky ones at the stern)! The completed work looks superb even without any sanding or fairing. You are on a very good wicket here.
Dear Heinrich, no apologies necessary my friend. Thank you for your observations. I hope you had a good visit to your heartland, and all is well. My progress from this point has been somewhat stalled as I have landed a nice mapping project, one of the largest of my little mapping company and it is consuming most of my time. I will be back on the BN soon though. It is great to see you back my friend.

Dear Heinrich, no apologies necessary my friend. Thank you for your observations. I hope you had a good visit to your heartland, and all is well. My progress from this point has been somewhat stalled as I have landed a nice mapping project, one of the largest of my little mapping company and it is consuming most of my time. I will be back on the BN soon though. It is great to see you back my friend.
Congratulations on landing one of your biggest projects! love the work on the keelson! :cool:

Good Sunday afternoon to all.
Finally finished my map project and am now back to work on the sleek beautiful Blue Nose. I have spent a few hours fairing the hull ribs, actually not near as many hours as I was anticipating. The interior fairing was made simple by covering some old flexible sanding sticks with some 220 and 320 grit paper plus a handle I made on it.
IMG_2501.jpgIMG_2503.jpg

Next are a few pics of the upper deck support whalers and the hardware I fabricated to hold everything in place. Once all four runners were glued in, I removed the thin spacers you see which will be installed permanently later on in the build.

IMG_2492.jpgIMG_2493.jpgIMG_2498.jpg

Next you will see the first half of the lower deck whaler beam support piece installed. Once I finish the other side and install the two sister keelsons, I'll go ahead, and clear coat mixed with a little stain everything before going any further.

IMG_2502.jpgIMG_2504.jpgIMG_2505.jpg

Before I forget, here is a shot of the laminated nose piece.

IMG_2506.jpg

That all for now, hope you all enjoy and happy modeling!

Back