The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have another progress update. I finished all the hull planking and what you see is a first run sanding, probably have another few hours' fine sanding with 320 grit.
Try as I might to avoid open joints, I still get a few of em. Working up some sawdust and mixing a little glue in then sanding into the affected areas seems to help.
At this point once I finish sanding ill place a coat of clear matt poly on it and depending on how I like woodwork will determine the extent of painting on the solid color scheme. At least the matt poly will serve as a primer coat for the other colors.

IMG_2591.jpgIMG_2592.jpgIMG_2593.jpgIMG_2597.jpgIMG_2601.jpgIMG_2602.jpg

The plans say to remove the ship from the jig prior to hull planking, I found the jig to be very useful as a stable base for placing the hull planking and sanding.
Hope you find this interesting and enjoy the photos.
Till next time Happy modeling.

Nice planking Daniel. I always enjoy watching how other modellers go about this challenging phase of their build. It looks great Thumbsup
Thank you, Mark. Like you I like to watch how others go about planking, I still have a long way to go before I reach that level such as @Dean62 or Paul @dockattner with his amazing spilling technique.

Last edited:
I have another progress update. I finished all the hull planking and what you see is a first run sanding, probably have another few hours' fine sanding with 320 grit.
Try as I might to avoid open joints, I still get a few of em. Working up some sawdust and mixing a little glue in then sanding into the affected areas seems to help.
At this point once I finish sanding ill place a coat of clear matt poly on it and depending on how I like woodwork will determine the extent of painting on the solid color scheme. At least the matt poly will serve as a primer coat for the other colors.

View attachment 378451View attachment 378452View attachment 378453View attachment 378454View attachment 378455View attachment 378456

The plans say to remove the ship from the jig prior to hull planking, I found the jig to be very useful as a stable base for placing the hull planking and sanding.
Hope you find this interesting and enjoy the photos.
Till next time Happy modeling.
Nice to see you finished the planking, Daniel. The sanding of the hull with some steps of finer sandpaper gave me a lot of pleasure. You feel the smoothness growing under your fingertip. I am sure your time investment will pay off.
Regards, Peter

Nice to see you finished the planking, Daniel. The sanding of the hull with some steps of finer sandpaper gave me a lot of pleasure. You feel the smoothness growing under your fingertip. I am sure your time investment will pay off.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter. I do enjoy the sanding phase and the challenge of making the hull as smooth as possible. This is my first attempt at single planking on a hull, and it's not nearly as forgiving as double planking but a required skill non the less. I can only imagine how difficult single planking a 15 or 16th century square rigger would be.

Good morning, everyone.
A little bit of progress and a possibly a better mouse trap. I began placing the hull planking and decided that leaving the jig frame in place provides the best stable platform for this operation. Once completed I will remove it. I use my trusty plank bender (womans hair curler) which works really well. Just dip the end in water a minute or two then heat and bend.

View attachment 377462View attachment 377463

I tried several methods to hold some of the more argumentative planks fast to the frames and came up with this. It works great! Take a simple paperclip bend it as shown, insert between the ribs and turn it 90 deg then wedge it in place.

View attachment 377464View attachment 377465

Hope you enjoy, and happy modeling.
as simple as genius
great progress it's looks beautiful

Well now I'm in a quandary. To me the wood is beautiful and I'm not sure I can even make a decision to paint over it or not. Maybe a vote from all of you might help me decide. Most people paint the planked side with black and red and the minimal boards on the starboard side black. Your opinions would mean a lot to me.

IMG_2603.jpgIMG_2605.jpgIMG_2606.jpgIMG_2607.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Back