The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

To me it all depends on if you are making a schooner or the Bluenose. If its the Bluenose I take it that she had a painted (colored) hull. If it's just a random schooner then I (personally) would let that wood show its natural beauty.
Oh, that's the brutal truth Paul! I'm going to put you down as no help!! ROTF Explosion

Well now I'm in a quandary. To me the wood is beautiful and I'm not sure I can even make a decision to paint over it or not. Maybe a vote from all of you might help me decide. Most people paint the planked side with black and red and the minimal boards on the starboard side black. Your opinions would mean a lot to me.

View attachment 378656View attachment 378658View attachment 378659View attachment 378660

Thanks for taking a look.
With a huge caveat I will offer my _opinion_; the caveat being that it be fully understood that this opinion comes from a modeler whose BN may never reach the stage that yours has.

That said, I liken a hull model with exposed framing to those ancient shipyard-built models seen in elegant old maritime museum settings. In my mind's eye open framing models require natural wood colorations. Full hull covered models on the other hand while no less beautiful, are just different in my view. and those call for coloration of the prototype as it was in service.
alf in Iowa

With a huge caveat I will offer my _opinion_; the caveat being that it be fully understood that this opinion comes from a modeler whose BN may never reach the stage that yours has.

That said, I liken a hull model with exposed framing to those ancient shipyard-built models seen in elegant old maritime museum settings. In my mind's eye open framing models require natural wood colorations. Full hull covered models on the other hand while no less beautiful, are just different in my view. and those call for coloration of the prototype as it was in service.
alf in Iowa
Alf, I love your response because it comes across with great wisdom. Thank you.

Well, you know what decision I made on mine. I chose to do the black above the water line and leave natural wood where the red would be. This I bordered with a white line. I then chose to add treenails to the natural wood because they would now be seen…
IMG_7682.jpeg
Now from a purist stand point, this is no longer a true representation of a BN, but since I used artistic license I chose not to care because it’s my ship and my build.
That said, even from a purist stand point, if you did the black and everything above like the original BN, then you could claim it is a representation of the ship being built and they have not painted the red yet! ROTF
At the end of the day, it’s your ship, and years after this build log is finished, you will be the one to see it daily! So follow your heart and do what is pleasing to your eye! That’s my opinion! ;)

Well, you know what decision I made on mine. I chose to do the black above the water line and leave natural wood where the red would be. This I bordered with a white line. I then chose to add treenails to the natural wood because they would now be seen…
View attachment 378662
Now from a purist stand point, this is no longer a true representation of a BN, but since I used artistic license I chose not to care because it’s my ship and my build.
That said, even from a purist stand point, if you did the black and everything above like the original BN, then you could claim it is a representation of the ship being built and they have not painted the red yet! ROTF
At the end of the day, it’s your ship, and years after this build log is finished, you will be the one to see it daily! So follow your heart and do what is pleasing to your eye! That’s my opinion! ;)
Very true words Dean, thank you. Since I've yet to build an exact representation of any ship I have no choice but to claim artistic license and that's ok, this hobby is to me a form of artwork.

Very true words Dean, thank you. Since I've yet to build an exact representation of any ship I have no choice but to claim artistic license and that's ok, this hobby is to me a form of artwork.
My thoughts exactly! It is a form of art work! Model building, like arts and crafts, involves many artistic skills.... which breeds artistic license. ;)
And as an artist, my models are my canvas. Therefore I do what is pleasing to my eye, but I don't abandon historic accuracy as far as the architecture and design goes, just on the design elements. That is where you can be creative, with color schemes and ornamentation or decorations.

My thoughts exactly! It is a form of art work! Model building, like arts and crafts, involves many artistic skills.... which breeds artistic license. ;)
And as an artist, my models are my canvas. Therefore I do what is pleasing to my eye, but I don't abandon historic accuracy as far as the architecture and design goes, just on the design elements. That is where you can be creative, with color schemes and ornamentation or decorations.
Bravo!

You could paint the side fully planked and leave the wood to shine its beauty on the open side.

Best of both worlds.
Hi Kurt, your idea would work if I was planking both sides fully. The starboard side only has 5 rows of bulwark strakes, and the rest is exposed ribs. I also have to decide what to do with those 5 boards.

Well now I'm in a quandary. To me the wood is beautiful and I'm not sure I can even make a decision to paint over it or not. Maybe a vote from all of you might help me decide. Most people paint the planked side with black and red and the minimal boards on the starboard side black. Your opinions would mean a lot to me.

View attachment 378656View attachment 378658View attachment 378659View attachment 378660

At first, Daniel, my compliments for your planking and final sanding result! A planked hull that shows her beautiful lines.
About painting of not, you can see and read in every build-log of the YQ-BN that every builder has his doubts.
And then shows there decisions in the already many forms.
The 5-row planking on the starboard side still can give a nice impression of the pearwood planking with a clear coat.
And on the fully planked side: it’s very personal. From glossy paint in different color tones to matted ink where the wood structure is still visible.
I hope you can make a choice that you can be satisfied with. But that is not easy, after that it is a ‘fait accompli’.
Regards, Peter

good morning Daniel. Wow. It looks stunning. I love the natural wood look. I wouldn’t want to be you. It will be hard to paint over that. I guess the decision is do you want to make a replica (paint) or a “Daniels Bluenose”. Cheers Grant

At first, Daniel, my compliments for your planking and final sanding result! A planked hull that shows her beautiful lines.
About painting of not, you can see and read in every build-log of the YQ-BN that every builder has his doubts.
And then shows there decisions in the already many forms.
The 5-row planking on the starboard side still can give a nice impression of the pearwood planking with a clear coat.
And on the fully planked side: it’s very personal. From glossy paint in different color tones to matted ink where the wood structure is still visible.
I hope you can make a choice that you can be satisfied with. But that is not easy, after that it is a ‘fait accompli’.
Regards, Peter
Thank you for your compliments, Peter, I shall hope for a solution here in the near future. In the meantime I will keep moving forward.

I guess the decision is do you want to make a replica (paint) or a “Daniels Bluenose”. Cheers Grant
That is a valid statement Grant that cuts right to the chase. I truly am not concerned with producing a correct replica, I'm just torn between having a beautiful wood look or an awesome looking black/ red color scheme. Thanks for your input, it means a lot.

Awesome planking job! Wish mine was as good as yours...
As far as your doubts regarding which finish to apply; it is very personal, essentially every advice you get is neither wrong nor good. After mulling around quite some time, I opted for the port (planked) side to be painted: very dark blue above- and red below the WL, all in satin. This led to a very satisfactory appearance, at least for me.
The stbd side, with five or six rows of planks, was finished with a cherry-colored stain. Again with a very satisfying result.
PS I had to completely remove my first attempt of painting the port side, it was a total disaster...

Last edited:
A reall

Awesome planking job! Wish mine was as good a yours...
As far as your doubts regarding which finish to apply; it is very personal, essentially every advice you get is neither wrong nor good. After mulling around quite some time, I opted for the port (planked) side to be painted: very dark blue above- and red below the WL, all in satin. This led to a very satisfactory appearance, at least for me.
The stbd side, with five or six rows of planks, was finished with a cherry-colored stain. Again with a very satisfying result.
PS I had to completely remove my first attempt of painting the port side, it was a total disaster...
If you first don't succeed, just due it over again when possible, we all learn from our mistakes.

A reall

Awesome planking job! Wish mine was as good a yours...
Thank you for the fine complement, Johan. I absolutely love the dark blue and red combo on your BN and the well-done stain on the other side. That is part of what I am battling in my mind, at this point full paint is losing ground though.

Back