The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Daniel, you did a fantastic job on the hullplanking. It's looks so good! I can't give you any good advice on the colorscheme of your BN. Paint, stain or oil the wood is completely up to you. If it was my BN, I'll go for natural look of the wood with a bit of oil so the wood really pops!

Again congrats on your planking job! Great skills!

Peter

Hi Daniel, you did a fantastic job on the hullplanking. It's looks so good! I can't give you any good advice on the colorscheme of your BN. Paint, stain or oil the wood is completely up to you. If it was my BN, I'll go for natural look of the wood with a bit of oil so the wood really pops!

Again congrats on your planking job! Great skills!

Peter
Thank you, Peter, I now know what I'm going to paint but will experiment with the colors first.

Good afternoon, I have a hull paint color picked out. It is a very dark blue "Night Blue" which I am more than satisfied with. The other sample you see is a "Dark Prussian Blue" which is just a couple shades lighter than what I really want. In the second photo looking straight on and neglecting any light glare the color appears almost black. The third photo I angled it with some light shine on it and you can see the blue tint. Ha! here I am almost color blind and describing colors and shades etc. I can only tell it like I see it. I'll have to improve my application technique, so the brush strokes don't show up as bad. Check it out.

IMG_2614.jpgIMG_2616.jpgIMG_2620.jpg

Next, I'll show the improvements to the transom pieces. And I've begun the whitewash treatment to the bulwarks.

IMG_2619.jpgIMG_2618.jpg

I will try and paint the drain scupper notch outs with the same dark blue.

Hope you all enjoy and thanks for checking in on me.

Good afternoon, I have a hull paint color picked out. It is a very dark blue "Night Blue" which I am more than satisfied with. The other sample you see is a "Dark Prussian Blue" which is just a couple shades lighter than what I really want. In the second photo looking straight on and neglecting any light glare the color appears almost black. The third photo I angled it with some light shine on it and you can see the blue tint. Ha! here I am almost color blind and describing colors and shades etc. I can only tell it like I see it. I'll have to improve my application technique, so the brush strokes don't show up as bad. Check it out.

View attachment 379483View attachment 379484View attachment 379485

Next, I'll show the improvements to the transom pieces. And I've begun the whitewash treatment to the bulwarks.

View attachment 379487View attachment 379486

Great tip Paul, thanks I will certainly try that.
WOW simple trick works great Paul!View attachment 379497

Thanks a million my friend.
It's good to see the you have made some samples, Daniel. Every type of wood has its own absorption and reflection of the applied color.
As mentioned before, it is difficult for someone else to judge how the color comes across. In particular due to the settings of the monitor with which we view your images. Color profiles, color temperature etc etc. And what you wrote, it starts with the way the light falls on the paint and then takes on different shades.
Based on your last 2 samples in the last photo, the bottom piece gets a nice deep dark color tone.
PS: Based on L.B. Jenson and the color scheme info from Smith&Rhuland: Gray waterways would stand out nicely against the white bulwarks.......
But ....... you are the captain!
Regards Peter

Last edited:
Based on L.B. Jenson and the color scheme info from Smith&Rhuland: Gray waterways would stand out nicely against the white bulwarks.......
Hi Peter, yes, I like the gray waterways myself and it's in the back of my mind to try it out. I have to balance the thought out if I really want to cut in the gray around all the frame tops.

View attachment 379483View attachment 379484View attachment 379485

View attachment 379487View attachment 379486

Good morning Daniel. On the BN the darker Blue is the only way…In my opinion. Seeing that beautiful pear wood planking it is almost a sacrilege to paint over. Cheers Grant

Good choice Daniel, the color and decision to keep the natural wood! :)
Paul @dockattner beat me to the solution with brush marks, always thin the paint and use multiple coats and also a fine hair brush. And if you keep it thin enough, you will still see some wood grain, similar to dye. Also be sure to use a synthetic brush with water based paints. ;)

Good choice Daniel, the color and decision to keep the natural wood! :)
Paul @dockattner beat me to the solution with brush marks, always thin the paint and use multiple coats and also a fine hair brush. And if you keep it thin enough, you will still see some wood grain, similar to dye. Also be sure to use a synthetic brush with water based paints. ;)
All great points Dean thanks, when it comes to painting I really am a novice.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Here is a do over that I am forcing on my self. On the deck planking from the get go I was messing up and knew it but kept thinking I can recover this to an acceptable appearance. Well after laying the fifth board, standing back took a picture and wow I had crap, 2nd joint gap way too wide, had a one board joint skip not two like the plans show. So, a do over is the result.

IMG_2629.jpgIMG_2630.jpg

I did get the captain's cabin framed up.

IMG_2627.jpg

Thanks for checking in. See you soon.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. Here is a do over that I am forcing on my self. On the deck planking from the get go I was messing up and knew it but kept thinking I can recover this to an acceptable appearance. Well after laying the fifth board, standing back took a picture and wow I had crap, 2nd joint gap way too wide, had a one board joint skip not two like the plans show. So, a do over is the result.

View attachment 380149View attachment 380150

I did get the captain's cabin framed up.

View attachment 380151

Thanks for checking in. See you soon.
Good morning Daniel. Always a good call to redo before it too late. I remember on my Victory deck I kept going thinking I could fix the slight variance as I went. It just gets worse ROTF.I did fix it but I have a wedge in one plank which I see all the time. I don’t know if you can salvage those Lovely pear planks? Hopefully the kit gave some spare. I’m with you worth the redo she’s to good not too. Cheers Grant

Back