The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I ended up using a Golden Oak stain and then used 0000 steel wool to age it a little. Than a matte clear coat to protect it. That way it looked a little used, being a fishing boat primarily. ;)

I am leaning towards the newer look such as the BN 2 has, with a clear poly finish. This will take some sample sections to try it on first.View attachment 380583
Yes, I looked at that while doing research , and I noticed it has a cherry stain with gloss finish. Definitely looks good! ;)
The original probably wouldn’t have been cherry, but who knows because all I ever found was black and white photos. And again, if you’re not concerned about historical accuracy, then make it your own! ;)

Good evening, all,
I'm back on track with my deck redo and am pleased. I still have a lot of sanding to do and some experimenting with some stains, but it feels good to have a method I can live with. Take a look.

View attachment 380577View attachment 380578

Till next time, thanks for watching.
Now that couldn't be anything else but an utterly satisfying deck re-do!

Bonjour,
J'ai hâte de voir le résultat final pour votre pont
Bien à vous, Dom

Last edited:
I finished planking the cabin deck level. I chose a theme for exposed crossbeam viewing where the cabin itself would be completely surrounded by the decking then hand sanded it with 220 and 320 grit paper.

IMG_2640.jpg

Next, I masked off critical areas prior to staining.

IMG_2641.jpg

I hesitate to show the next slide because I hate staining, I can NEVER get it looking even all over! You can see some sampling I did with some amaretto stain which had too much red for my taste, so I went with Golden Oak.

IMG_2642.jpg

And finally, after 3 coats of clear poly with a steel wool buffing in between each layer.

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

Depending how this shiny deck grows on me I may give it one more coat of matt finish poly, I have time to digest this for now. The addition of the deck fittings and being white may complement a shiny deck, we shall see.

Hope you enjoy.

I finished planking the cabin deck level. I chose a theme for exposed crossbeam viewing where the cabin itself would be completely surrounded by the decking then hand sanded it with 220 and 320 grit paper.

View attachment 381589

Next, I masked off critical areas prior to staining.

View attachment 381590

I hesitate to show the next slide because I hate staining, I can NEVER get it looking even all over! You can see some sampling I did with some amaretto stain which had too much red for my taste, so I went with Golden Oak.

View attachment 381591

And finally, after 3 coats of clear poly with a steel wool buffing in between each layer.

View attachment 381592

View attachment 381597

Depending how this shiny deck grows on me I may give it one more coat of matt finish poly, I have time to digest this for now. The addition of the deck fittings and being white may complement a shiny deck, we shall see.

Hope you enjoy.
Awesome job Daniel. I found the oak stain, on my cannon came out a little shinny as well. After a week or so this shinny effect reduced to almost zero. Perhaps your deck will have the same good fortune. My shinny issue is with my Matt ploy which is taking forever to dry. Weird. Cheers Grant

Awesome job Daniel. I found the oak stain, on my cannon came out a little shinny as well. After a week or so this shinny effect reduced to almost zero. Perhaps your deck will have the same good fortune. My shinny issue is with my Matt ploy which is taking forever to dry. Weird. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant, I was actually shooting for a shiny deck with clear gloss poly. I wanted to see what it looked like. The stains and poly coatings I am using are water based and dry to the touch in less than 30 minutes and can be recoated in one hour. Are you using oil based finishes which do take a long time to dry even in low humidity weather??

Back