The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I finished planking the cabin deck level. I chose a theme for exposed crossbeam viewing where the cabin itself would be completely surrounded by the decking then hand sanded it with 220 and 320 grit paper.

View attachment 381589

Next, I masked off critical areas prior to staining.

View attachment 381590

I hesitate to show the next slide because I hate staining, I can NEVER get it looking even all over! You can see some sampling I did with some amaretto stain which had too much red for my taste, so I went with Golden Oak.

View attachment 381591

And finally, after 3 coats of clear poly with a steel wool buffing in between each layer.

View attachment 381592

View attachment 381597

Depending how this shiny deck grows on me I may give it one more coat of matt finish poly, I have time to digest this for now. The addition of the deck fittings and being white may complement a shiny deck, we shall see.

Hope you enjoy.
Great job, Dan.
The glossy stain; what I experienced with the spars was that after applying a first coat of grey oak the finish was matt. After the second coat of a cherry colored stain the finish turned into gloss, with hardly a tendency to change into a more semi-gloss or satin finish. So when all is said and done I'll apply a clear coat of semi-gloss poly.
Looking forward to your experiences and your way forward.

I finished planking the cabin deck level. I chose a theme for exposed crossbeam viewing where the cabin itself would be completely surrounded by the decking then hand sanded it with 220 and 320 grit paper.

View attachment 381589

Next, I masked off critical areas prior to staining.

View attachment 381590

I hesitate to show the next slide because I hate staining, I can NEVER get it looking even all over! You can see some sampling I did with some amaretto stain which had too much red for my taste, so I went with Golden Oak.

View attachment 381591

And finally, after 3 coats of clear poly with a steel wool buffing in between each layer.

View attachment 381592

View attachment 381597

Depending how this shiny deck grows on me I may give it one more coat of matt finish poly, I have time to digest this for now. The addition of the deck fittings and being white may complement a shiny deck, we shall see.

Hope you enjoy.
Hi Daniel. You made a nice personal deck planking pattern on you BN. The warm stain gives a nice contrast with the waterways and will do with the deck fittings. Looking forward to you interpretations on the fore deck.
Regards, Peter

Great job, Dan.
The glossy stain; what I experienced with the spars was that after applying a first coat of grey oak the finish was matt. After the second coat of a cherry colored stain the finish turned into gloss, with hardly a tendency to change into a more semi-gloss or satin finish. So when all is said and done I'll apply a clear coat of semi-gloss poly.
Looking forward to your experiences and your way forward.
Thanks Johan, there are so many combinations one can choose from with stains and finishes. I'm just glad that there is an option to overlay a matte finish if the gloss turns out to be less than desirable with the deck furnishings in place.

Hi Daniel. You made a nice personal deck planking pattern on you BN. The warm stain gives a nice contrast with the waterways and will do with the deck fittings. Looking forward to you interpretations on the fore deck.
Regards, Peter
Thank you, Peter, I sometimes think I'm wondering off the reservation with this project, that's part of what makes this a challenge though.

Good afternoon everyone. I finished the lower fore deck planking. I will be going after the same finish as the upper deck once I finish out the sanding.
The first couple pictures show the various blockouts for the deck fittings, then shown with the deck fittings dry fitted.

IMG_2657.jpgIMG_2658.jpg

At this point I'm 90% sure I'll stay with the gloss clear coat because I'm beginning to see the reflection effect it offers from the captain's cabin onto the deck which I really like. This ship will in effect be just a fishing vessel that happens to resemble the Bluenose (I'm still calling her Bluenose though) as I have a few other departures from the original planned for her in the coming months.

IMG_2660.jpg.

I sure thank you all for checking in and hope you all have a great and safe 4th.

Très beau ce pont ! Quel bois avez vous utilisé ? Je commence à réfléchir sur le bois à choisir en fonction des disponibilités dans nos magasins français
Bien à vous, Dom

Good afternoon everyone. I finished the lower fore deck planking. I will be going after the same finish as the upper deck once I finish out the sanding.
The first couple pictures show the various blockouts for the deck fittings, then shown with the deck fittings dry fitted.

View attachment 382124View attachment 382125

At this point I'm 90% sure I'll stay with the gloss clear coat because I'm beginning to see the reflection effect it offers from the captain's cabin onto the deck which I really like. This ship will in effect be just a fishing vessel that happens to resemble the Bluenose (I'm still calling her Bluenose though) as I have a few other departures from the original planned for her in the coming months.

View attachment 382126.

I sure thank you all for checking in and hope you all have a great and safe 4th.
I do like the glossy deck to, Daniel. I've considered that too. It exudes a certain luxury.
Looking forward to you ‘departures’, a personal approach is always nice and interesting.
Regards, Peter

Très beau ce pont ! Quel bois avez vous utilisé ? Je commence à réfléchir sur le bois à choisir en fonction des disponibilités dans nos magasins français
Bien à vous, Dom
Thank you, Dom, I purchased Tanganika strips 1x3mm from Age of Sail out of California USA. It is a fairly tight grained wood that I have worked with several times before and was available in the size I needed to fit the precut notches of the pearwood deck sheet supplied with the kit.

I do like the glossy deck to, Daniel. I've considered that too.
I'm a little apprehensive about applying gloss finishes on ships like these; one has to find a balance between reflecting the ship's original use and an appealing appearance in our showcases.
Thank you for your comments and complements gentlemen. I must admit I am quite taken with the looks of the newer BN II, and I find myself wanting to replicate her features as an ambassadorial ship rather than an original working vessel. Not to worry though, I have no intention of adding diesel engines and propeller which the BN II does have.:)

Thanks Grant, I was actually shooting for a shiny deck with clear gloss poly. I wanted to see what it looked like. The stains and poly coatings I am using are water based and dry to the touch in less than 30 minutes and can be recoated in one hour. Are you using oil based finishes which do take a long time to dry even in low humidity weather??
Good morning Daniel. Eish. I’m not a fan of gloss after doing my Victory lower hull with gloss poly. (Just a personal thing). I use water base poly which normal dries in about 12 hours. For some reason it is just taking longer. It is all dry now tho. Cheers Grant

Not to worry though, I have no intention of adding diesel engines and propeller which the BN II does have.
Whew…. ROTF

View attachment 382124View attachment 382125

View attachment 382126.

Good morning Daniel. Awesome deck! The gloss looks good and considering the look you want to achieve it is the way to go - IMHO. :DCheers Grant

Back