Tieing off rigging help

sideliner

Any suggestions on best way to tie off rigging so that line stays taunt. Currently I put a drop of adhesive on the eyelet or bollard, cleat etc. This works OK unless it is necessary to pass a second thread through the previously glued eyelet .
sideliner
Ph21 bow.jpg

Snowy

G'day sidelined what I like is just to put the line under a belaying pin then just twist the line over once and put it over the top like on a real ship it ties itself off
Cheers snowy

Donnie

Admin
Staff member
Administrative

Hi Bob,
Clear Nail Polish. Very interesting. I will have to try this out next time. I have always used 'very thin' CA glue. (Cynoacrylate). Problem is that it is somewhat permanent.

Donnie

PeterG

A trick I like to use where applicable and a line needs to be secured to a belaying pin, thread the line through the hole used by the pin and then reinsert the belaying pin to secure the line. This keeps the line at any tension you require, can be readjusted by removal and reinserting the pin, and can be secured permanently by adding a drop of CA later when the tension is correct. A coil or hank can also be made with excess rope to lay over the belaying pin as a final detail.

Squarebriggs

I find nail polish works much better than CA glue, and it doesn't dry out in the package either. You can untie and retie as often as required with just a drop of new polish to firm up the knot again. I'm surprised more folks haven't been using it, glad I am able to help out.

Bob