Tieing off rigging help

Any suggestions on best way to tie off rigging so that line stays taunt. Currently I put a drop of adhesive on the eyelet or bollard, cleat etc. This works OK unless it is necessary to pass a second thread through the previously glued eyelet .
sideliner
Ph21 bow.jpg

G'day sidelined what I like is just to put the line under a belaying pin then just twist the line over once and put it over the top like on a real ship it ties itself off
Cheers snowy
View media item 1267

Hi Bob,
Clear Nail Polish. Very interesting. I will have to try this out next time. I have always used 'very thin' CA glue. (Cynoacrylate). Problem is that it is somewhat permanent.

Donnie

A trick I like to use where applicable and a line needs to be secured to a belaying pin, thread the line through the hole used by the pin and then reinsert the belaying pin to secure the line. This keeps the line at any tension you require, can be readjusted by removal and reinserting the pin, and can be secured permanently by adding a drop of CA later when the tension is correct. A coil or hank can also be made with excess rope to lay over the belaying pin as a final detail.

Thanks to all. I have been using clear nail polish for the last week or so and find it works great for me on my 1:96 scale build. It leaves no residue like Cyrano and can be released later if necessary. Some of the bollards cleats and eye bolts are so small on this build that I find it nearly impossible to manually tie off. Also reduces the number of foul language expletives from me as I rig this build ;)
Mel

Thanks to all. I have been using clear nail polish for the last week or so and find it works great for me on my 1:96 scale build. It leaves no residue like Cyrano and can be released later if necessary. Some of the bollards cleats and eye bolts are so small on this build that I find it nearly impossible to manually tie off. Also reduces the number of foul language expletives from me as I rig this build ;)
Mel
Learned something new. I’ll have to try the nail polish.

I've always used diluted PVA to tie off knots as it leaves no residue and dries clear and without shine.
How do you go about 'releasing' the Nail polish knot- do you apply acetone?

I've always used diluted PVA to tie off knots as it leaves no residue and dries clear and without shine.
How do you go about 'releasing' the Nail polish knot- do you apply acetone?
No need, just use a sharp pointed instrument, like a dental pick, to loosen the knot and it will give with little effort. To retie and fix, just add another drop of nail polish when ready to fix the knot.

Bob

Another, similar to nail polish but more acceptable for us chaps to order, is clear cellulose varnish applied using a pointed stick. Cellulose thinners will loosen the tie if necessary. This is what was used in days of yore....

Back