U.S.S. CONSTITUTION, 1:82 SCALE, "OLD IRONSIDES"

Welcome back Mike, it will be good to see some more progress photos of your Constitution build.
Mike

Watching this build I like what's going on so far. I will be building the sister ship Constellation in the coming months God willing of course. I'm hoping to find someone to draw up POF plans from the drawings I have.

Ahoy Shipmates,
Another update to "Mike's Old Iron Sides" saga. As I had said before I was having some difficulty with my half frames I re attached Frame 14 on the port side. I then rebuilt frame 13 and frame 16. I had a near fatal accident with frame 6, a full frame, but managed to repair it and re attach same. I used Dave's suggestion used 5 minute epoxy. It is still slow going but it is going.

IMG_0401.JPGIMG_0402.JPGIMG_0404.JPGIMG_0406.JPG

Hey Mike,
I just stumbled onto your log and Brother, you're kicking ass and taking names. Now that you've come over to the dark side, it'll be tough getting back to the paint by numbers category of kit building.
Raymond

Hey Mike,
I just stumbled onto your log and Brother, you're kicking ass and taking names. Now that you've come over to the dark side, it'll be tough getting back to the paint by numbers category of kit building.
Raymond
Hi Raymond,
Thanks for your visit to my build log and for your kind comments.

Ahoy Shipmates,
Slow progress is being made. I think I would have gotten more uniformity in my frames if I hade used a spreader bar on the frame tops. Next build.

IMG_0412.JPG

There are 42 frames all total. This is from the stern 21 - 02.

IMG_0413.JPG

This is from the stem, frame w - m..

IMG_0414.JPG

This is where I am now. I need to build 4 more frames then I will have them all.

Hello Mike,
Your Frames are looking real good. It is not to late to add the spreader bars on top of your frames as it will help you in the long run once it comes time to start fairing your hull. As to the last sentence above, "This is where I am now. I need to build 4 more frames then I will have them all", I could not help but smile because it reminded me of Pinky and the Brain.
giphy.gif

Ray

Ahoy Shipmates,
I have run into a little problem with my build. My dead flat frame appears to be too big.

IMG_0435.JPG
When I substitute frame "a" for frame "X" it looks to be an acceptable substitutions.

IMG_0437.JPG

I have consulted my Chief Architect, Captain. Mike41, and he is examining the situation.

I have managed to finish construction of all but one frame and I am anxious to continue.

IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0416.JPGIMG_0417.JPGIMG_0419.JPGIMG_0420 (1).JPG
I bought some 1/16th X 0.014 brass tube to use as hinges for my Blandford project that I think will make good structural bolts for my full frames.
I haven't figured out what to do about the half frames.

IMG_0434.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 10
Ahoy Shipmates,
I have been cracking the whip in my ship yard working on getting all my frames installed.
IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0439.JPGIMG_0440.JPGIMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0443.JPGIMG_0444.JPG

When the dust settled I found that several of my frames will require some fine tuning and some need to be replaced.
Arrrg.. but that's froth in my builds wake.

IMG_0455.JPGIMG_0461.JPGIMG_0462.JPG

I taped together a fore and aft print of my frame profile and then placed it under glass. Fortunately my Admiral is allowing me to use the dining table for measurements.
I glued a ruler copy to my Gantry uprights and I'm read to mark my TOF's

IMG_0463.JPGIMG_0464.JPGIMG_0465.JPGIMG_0466.JPGIMG_0476.JPG

Before I start sanding and shaping my hull I will attach a temporary batten to give some strength to the frames.

Thanks for visiting my build log.

Attachments

• IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for a nice log MIKE, I will continue to follow.
I just saw your Blandford log, is it all done or just waiting?
Maybe you have some pictures of the finished result?

KNUT

Back