Ulises - Occre by Bill C

Hello Bill
Also from me a warm welcome to our forum. I really like what I've seen so far. I'll stick by and look over your shoulder.

Welcome Bill….Love the trains especially the rotary plow. Your Ulises is impressive. Trains, at 1:1 scale, are also a passion of mine.

Welcome Bill….Love the trains especially the rotary plow. Your Ulises is impressive. Trains, at 1:1 scale, are also a passion of mine.
In The Fall we will be travelling to New Mexico and Colorado to ride two scenic railroads. Uuum, don't get me started on trains!!

In preparation for constructing the Ulises wheelhouse my wife and I travelled to Grimsby, two hundred mile round trip to visit the Ross Tiger, a preserved 1956 side trawler. So the deal was, I want to visit this old trawler, if I can find a "nice" place to stay over, too far to go there and back in a day, will you come with? Having told her where I had booked, she looked it up and asked "do you realise how much this is going to cost"???? Have blonde, will travel!! It was well worth the money!!

20230708_104742.jpg

20230708_111148.jpg

20230708_113249.jpg

20230708_114326.jpg

20230708_114400.jpg

20230708_114701.jpg

Welcome. If you aren't already, you might like to follow the progress of the Arctic Corsair on the Hull Maritime site.

Having read Don's horror story about the paint job on his Pandemic I was keen to check the resilience of what I have done on my Ulises.

Having fibreglassed the hull I gave it several coats of Humbrol acrylic primer from a rattle can. Then, for the black and burgundy, below the waterline, I used Hycote double acrylic car paint, again from rattle cans. My wife, she of the steady hand, painted in the waterline and then I sprayed off the whole hull with acrylic matt varnish. So far so good but the concern concerned.

So I made up a test piece, using the same painting protocol, and carried out a full immersion test. After an hour in the water I subjected to the Mark 1 Finger Nail, scratch, Test and nothing moved. So I am now confident that Ulises is up to an ocean crossing without shedding its skin!

Today is a soggy wet day here in North Yorkshire so I decided to tackle rhe smoke stack for Ulises. The cardboard tube, described elsewhere as a "spent toilet roll", supplied by Occre was too large for the rings so I embarked on a sanding session. What a good thing I have such an understanding lady! Sanding is now complete and rings in position. I now plan to use rings of decal rivets, left from model railroad projects, to further de-toilet roll the stack.

20230723_110857.jpg

Back