Ulises - Occre by Bill C

I am building Ulises by Occre. This is my first venture into ship modelling, although I have been building model railroads on various scales for more than half a century. I am up to the hull painting phase. So far so good and great fun gas been had. There appears to be lots of useful advice here. Good to be aboard!!
Hallo @Bill L-C
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

First encounter with real water, in the bathtub, and she didn't sink! Nor did the paint come off the hull. However maintaining position of the battery is obviously key to holding the trim. There is no obvious way to fix the battery in position, the motor has a mounting plate, but we will make a plan! And the plan .... is to use velcro.

Just for information she is 33 inches long and, with motor and battery, weighs 7lbs.

She is, I think, floating a little high in the water, so may add some more ballast. I have little weights, designed to correct car wheel tracking, which I have used in my model railroad freight cars to improve the ride.

20230915_152849.jpg

20230915_152405.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bill,
What fun! I started my build of the OcCre Ulises Tug in May of 2023 as well. I'm glad someone is posting a build log. I'm too un conventual on my builds to post a log. I hop around and don't generally follow the instructions. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'll be following your posts closely. I've assembled my bulk heads and frames and engineered my RC stuff. I moved right onto the super structure thereafter since I was waiting for RC parts (not included in the original purchase). Attached are some pictures of the cabin before I enclose it. Currently working on outside finishes (stack, stairs, rails, etc).

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

Looks lovely, like the chart on the table. I still have to connect up the navigation lights and spot light. Then it's on to connecting up the motor and fitting the rudder controls. Sea trials later this year.

Its been an interesting experience, scary at times but very satisfying. Good to see no leakage through the prop shaft on the immersion test.

Enjoy!

First encounter with real water, in the bathtub, and she didn't sink! Nor did the paint come off the hull. However maintaining position of the battery is obviously key to holding the trim. There is no obvious way to fix the battery in position, the motor has a mounting plate, but we will make a plan! And the plan .... is to use velcro.

Just for information she is 33 inches long and, with motor and battery, weighs 7lbs.

She is, I think, floating a little high in the water, so may add some more ballast. I have little weights, designed to correct car wheel tracking, which I have used in my model railroad freight cars to improve the ride.

View attachment 394684

View attachment 394685
The cranes and the fire apparatus on the bow are awesome. It evokes a real working tug. Looks well balanced in the tub

More planking complete.

View attachment 388566Great job! The flood spotlight is awesome. It reminds me of a flying fish tour I once took at Catalina Island, California. The tour boat had just a light like that. It was a World War Two something or other and absolutely lit up the coast and the flying fish at night. Where did you get this gem? I don't expect to actually light it...but it does has an impact on the Tug.

View attachment 394684

View attachment 394685

After almost a year of great fun my model of Ulises by Occre is finished, well actually not quite as I still have to connect up the steaming and navigation lights.

I decided I would never get the linkage between the rudder and the servo fitted so went for help. Huge thanks to Big J. We now have a fully functioning ocean-going tug!! So now we are awaiting a break in the rain for a trip to the Redcar boating lake for sea trials.

20231104_161029.jpg

After almost a year of great fun my model of Ulises by Occre is finished, well actually not quite as I still have to connect up the steaming and navigation lights.

I decided I would never get the linkage between the rudder and the servo fitted so went for help. Huge thanks to Big J. We now have a fully functioning ocean-going tug!! So now we are awaiting a break in the rain for a trip to the Redcar boating lake for sea trials.

View attachment 404856

Here is the first trial in our bathtub. At that stage the rudder controls weren't fitted. I was concerned about the whine, actually turns out to be from the Viper controls not the motor, but apparently this is to be expected.

Attachments

• 20231024_162643.mp4
    9.1 MB
Stripping of my crabber "Debbie" currently paused as I have run out of sandpaper. I don't want to use wire wool as that can leave particles of rust in the wood grains. She may look like one of those sad and neglected boats you see lying on the mud in a Cornish Creek, but wait until you see her in her new blue, white and orange paint job. Time to go and assist the Bread Maker!!

20231119_112356.jpg

20231119_112936.jpg

20231116_120257.jpg

20231116_120008.jpg

Stripping of my crabber "Debbie" currently paused as I have run out of sandpaper. I don't want to use wire wool as that can leave particles of rust in the wood grains. She may look like one of those sad and neglected boats you see lying on the mud in a Cornish Creek, but wait until you see her in her new blue, white and orange paint job. Time to go and assist the Bread Maker!!

View attachment 407868

View attachment 407869

View attachment 407870

View attachment 407871
Been pulling together a shopping list. So on top of the boring bits; new motor, radio receiver and motor control plus battery, we have two crew to work with "Debbie", pink ball fenders, ship's horns fire extinguisher, thread to replace the rigging and make up ropes and radar.

Been pulling together a shopping list. So on top of the boring bits; new motor, radio receiver and motor control plus battery, we have two crew to work with "Debbie", pink ball fenders, ship's horns fire extinguisher, thread to replace the rigging and make up ropes and radar.
Wheelhouse for DC14 crabber Debbie. What a difference already!

20231129_110516.jpg

Hull will be sprayed with Jazz Blue acrylic car paint above the waterline.

Beautiful workmanship on your boats Bill. I'm building the Occre La Candelaria which is my 1st.
I'm also a model railroader. A section of my n scale layout also based on the D&RGW.View attachment 410555
Thanks for reaching out to me. N Gauge is fabulous. I used to have a very large British outline N Gauge model railway, but that now is history. We visited the Cumbres and Toltec and Durango and Silverton in September. Wonderful to see the real version of our Mudhen on our train from Osier to Antonito.

20230923_132145.jpg

20230923_091235.jpg

Green boat.jpg

My railway 4.jpg

Back