US Brig Syren MS: # 2260 by NovaStorm

As my Syren is from the first production my rope are not those for the gun
They are of a regular tan color
Nice build Robin nice buildThumbsup

As my Syren is from the first production my rope are not those for the gun
They are of a regular tan color
Nice build Robin nice buildThumbsup
Charles is great to hear from you :) I heard a rumor you may be starting in again on your Syren and I hope that is true I would enjoy following along with you. Glad to hear your rope is not the same as what they are supplying now. I have now replaced all the rope!

Here are a couple of pics of my test carronade done up with rope from Syren Ship Model Co. The rope is a breeze to work with and the Admiral has given her seal of approval on the difference between the two. I have been using my worst carronade and sled for test purposes and it has taken a bit of a beating.

IMG_5250.jpgIMG_5254.jpg

Yes Robin I have start to build her but really sloly.
But after the R.L. got like a small indigestion about wood ship so doing mainly figurine (finishing the last 3 regiments of War Hammer high Elves army) did a small dio of WWII and a 1/48 plane for the time being, and enjoying my back yard but the hull is now almost finish the sanding is done just a few thing to do to complete the chapter five and will post in a few days:)

Made a decision finally on how I wanted to handle the battery on the port side. Got through doing the tackles on 5 carronades then decided to take a break and redo the grates which will be my third time doing them lol. This time I went with boxwood and I am much happier with the way they came out this time.
Few pics for your consideration :)
IMG_5389.jpgIMG_5439.jpgIMG_5443.jpgIMG_5456.jpg

Absolutely wonderful! I love the color.
Kurt thank you. That was the whole thing with the grates to find something that would fit in color wise with the rest of the ship. The basswood was to stark white, so I did them again and tried staining them. Again not happy so I tried the boxwood and it is much better. Toned down with a slightly yellow glow from the tung oil. The photo makes it look brighter than it is too. Cheers ~

The gun tackles is looking very good - very accurate!
And I can confirm your words about the gratings - better -> looking very good
Very good work my friend Thumbsup

This remains one of my all-time favourite builds. Keep going Robin.

Beer Man these carronades are a ton of work. I`ve only got four more tackles to go to finish rigging them up. Hopefully be able to complete them tomorrow :)
I decided not to do the perfect job cheesing the ropes. I think it gives them a little more character with some variations showing. Some are not glued yet as I have yet to fit the ladders up to the rail port and starboard. Cheers ~

IMG_5539.jpgIMG_5549.jpgIMG_5549a.jpg

I finally finished up the tackles for the carronades. Phew! I know I've made a couple of newbie mistakes on the carronade rigging. The blocks are not actually oriented the same way as in some of the illustration's I have seen and possibly the windings on the cheesed ropes should go the opposite way. It is a learning experience though and one I will take forward for future builds. In the end I kinda wanted to mix it up a little anyway and feel pretty happy now with the result.
Here is a final pic with them finished! I can move on now to some more relaxing things like the bowsprit and furniture :) Cheers ~

IMG_5569.jpg

Man oh man! Why did you have to do such a good job on this ship. The more I see her, the more I want to build her some day! Sigh!

In the last pic posted above you can see the wimpy capstan at the back of the deck. Although I followed the instructions in making it looking at the plans would have had it wider. So I decided to make my own. While I was at it I finished off adding the doors onto the companionway, made a binnacle proto, ladders up to the rails and a few other bits here and there. Some pics of such...

IMG_5602.jpgIMG_5621a.jpgIMG_5718.jpgIMG_5722.jpgIMG_5715.jpg

Very nice. Love it. What happened to the officer on the last picture. He went to the lower deck? :)

Nice !!!!!

Daniel

Back