Looking great Tom. Cheers Grant
![]() |
The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026! Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue. NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026 |
![]() |
![]() |
As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering. |
![]() |
That is a very nice base for the paint, Tom. It’s looking very promising.Post 31 - Bulwarks Painted
I painted the inner bulwarks by hand, using the recommended Model Expo white paint, thinned out with water.
View attachment 635346
View attachment 635347 View attachment 635348
We're off on vacation for 2 weeks, so I'll post again at the end of the month, hopefully with a copper and black hull.






That you is a true story.I'm overall very pleased with how she looks.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm mainly fussy and somewhat compulsive (like a a lot of doctors) which helps with model building. However, I'd never have the guts to kit bash like you have with your Harriet Lane!Yes your work is impeccable, You set a target that the rest of us try to achieve (but Don't)








This is only the second model I've used an airbrush on, but I really like the results, despite, as you say, the hassle of setting up and dismantling the spray booths. My work space is really small, so I have to clear out after painting. For some odd reason I really enjoy cleaning the airbrush! I ended up brush painting the damaged spots on the keel, however. I also use acrylic from the local craft store (DecoArt from Michael's). I dilute it and apply 4-6 coats. I haven't sanded between, but maybe I should.That's a bummer, I used an acrylic from our local craft store for the copper and it went on really well with brush, mistakes in the planking were filled quite nicely. I see you airbrushed, hopefully with some fine sanding you can repair the damage. I did a lot of airbrushing on my plastic models but I have been reluctant to try it on my wooden ships, also I am lazy and find setting up the booth, brush, and cleaning was a pain so I went for fine coats of acrylic and 2000 grit sanding and multiple coats.
David Antscherl was right - at the scale of this Harriet Lane model, copper plating is not a good idea, despite the beautiful job @The Gavel did plating his! The exception that proves the rule.I bought some tape with he intention of copper plating the bottom, used some on the rudder (for the hinges) and with the fiddley trouble I had with that ( I had to discard half the attempts) I abandoned that idea. I have seen one ship where this was applied and it looked brilliant but they did not tell us how long or how much tape was necessary to do it. I decided it was beyond me



