![]() |
The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026! Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue. NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026 |
![]() |
![]() |
As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering. |
![]() |

Dear Tom.Thanks for the kind words. The planking has taken far longer than I thought. I know the preformed planks are designed to make it easier, but after my 4th model with them, I think they just make it harder. Your idea of veneer is intriguing, but since I'm planning to copper plate the lower hull I'm hoping a good filling and sanding will make the rest look OK.
I think the info in Canney's book is incomplete (I have the book). Remember, the Harriet Lane was launched in 1857, not 1861. 1861 is when she became a US Navy vessel. The USCG History webpage on the Harriet Lane states she was launched on 19 November 1857 and comissioned on 28 February 1858. They list her armamanent as:
Armament:
1858: 1 x 32-pdr pivot gun; 4 x 24-pdrs; 1 x 12-pdr
1861 (1 June): 3 x 32-pdrs; 4 x 24pdrs
1862 (Feb): 3 x 9”; 1 x 30-pdr
However, the Harriet Lane is notorious for being poorly documented. I agree the published plans make it hard to see how a pivot gun fit on the deck.
Do you have a plan by Webb that shows the paddle wheels? The only plan of the Harriet Lane actually drawn by William Webb that I know of is this:
View attachment 626451
which obviously has no info about the paddle wheels. It would be great if you've found more detailed plans.
Hope you post a build log when you're ready to start.
Tom

Robert,Dear Tom.
I've seen a side view of HL which shows the paddles (in a NRG article and have been posted on internet images} and they number 20. This drawing is supposedly by Webb but it seems so refined. The formula for the number of blades is one for every foot in the wheel's diameter +2. The plan I looked at was about 22 ' in D which makes 24 but I think 20 is close. Looking at your plan you can get the diameter from the deck perspective and check out what number you get.....let me know. I agree his book is remiss about important details......Cheers....Robert





Dear Tom,Dear Tom,
I have a set of the NRG on disc....I'll look things up and let you know tomorrow about how good the research is....Robert

Robert,Dear Tom,
Looked at the plans.....fairly detailed but I think you might have seen something similar. No revealing text to go with drawings. Does show 4 lifeboats forward ones seem to be placed above the aft end of the paddlewheel. I could try to burn a disc and send it to you.......Robert
Roger,Warships’ boats, like the ships’ armament were “outfit;” something that could be changed over the vessel’s lifetime. They were not primarily lifeboats but workboats that allowed the mother ship to function efficiently. There were several distinctly different designs from burdensome launches intended to haul bulky cargo like barreled water to fine lined elegant craft for transporting senior officers. Boat outfit would, therefore, depend on the vessel’s mission and practices of the agency to which it was assigned. Navies have always modified their vessels over time and particularly prior to WWII ( when involved in vicious night fighting they realized that burning wooden boats were a problem) boat outfit seemed to grow.
I read John Tilly’s comments about Harriett Lane on the Fine Scale Modeler forum. He had researched the Coast Guard’s records and says that they are a mess. He also says that he knows of no contemporary paintings or photos that show her in enough detail to be useful. I also suggest that the Webb Portfolio is actually a type of catalog. The Revenue Cutter drawings show room for four boats; not the actual outfit for any actual vessel.
You want to build her “as commissioned” in 1857. I suggest the minimum boat outfit; two boats, a cutter and a whaler. These are both designed for use in open water, essential for boarding other vessels at sea.










Although he published it around 1895, long after he had given up ship building. He was a philanthropist at that point.I agree that many of the vessels in Webb’s portfolio are vessels that he actually built but what I meant was that it might have been a promotional tool to attract new business.
I have Webb Institute’s biography of him in my library. I’ll see what they have to say.
Roger
It belongs to my neighbor. The manufacturer is Topaz. We only have what my in-laws would call a stinkpot - a pontoon boat (aka floating patio)Very nice! What kind of small boat is that moored offshore?


Good morning Tom. Congrats- your planking came out fabulously. I love the views. Cheers GrantPost 23 - The Dusty Part
I applied way too much Durham's water putty to the hull yesterday. I followed the suggestion on the can and added a little vinegar to slow the drying time.
View attachment 627142
I took her outside on a beautiful summer's day today to sand her down. I found these square flexible sanding sponges on Amazon which I find very useful
View attachment 627150
Not sure what I will use most of them for, but I started with 120 grit, followed by 240 grit, and then a quick going over with 400 grit. At the end, she felt pretty smooth. I removed almost all of the Durham's, except for spaces between the planks, and at the stern where the counter meets the stern post. I need to do a little more filling there. Here's how she now looks on a glorious Berkshire afternnon:
View attachment 627143
View attachment 627144View attachment 627145 View attachment 627146
View attachment 627147
View attachment 627154
View attachment 627149
We'll see how I did when I apply the primer. Next up is adding the stem and keel, making sure they merge properly into the hull, and then shaving down the bulkhead extensions.
You work look wonderful!Post 23 - The Dusty Part
I applied way too much Durham's water putty to the hull yesterday. I followed the suggestion on the can and added a little vinegar to slow the drying time.
View attachment 627142
I took her outside on a beautiful summer's day today to sand her down. I found these square flexible sanding sponges on Amazon which I find very useful
View attachment 627150
Not sure what I will use most of them for, but I started with 120 grit, followed by 240 grit, and then a quick going over with 400 grit. At the end, she felt pretty smooth. I removed almost all of the Durham's, except for spaces between the planks, and at the stern where the counter meets the stern post. I need to do a little more filling there. Here's how she now looks on a glorious Berkshire afternnon:
View attachment 627143
View attachment 627144View attachment 627145 View attachment 627146
View attachment 627147
View attachment 627154
View attachment 627149
We'll see how I did when I apply the primer. Next up is adding the stem and keel, making sure they merge properly into the hull, and then shaving down the bulkhead extensions.

