USS Arizona Memorial model - Revell 1/426 USS Arizona, Shapeways Memorial - by SigEp Ziggy

I started by removing the decks from the sprues and assembling the basic model. Then I found a box of correct size that I saved for just such a purpose. I cut a piece from the box and inverted the dry fit model so I could trace the out line. I printed a copy of the Arizona as she is now with top, port and starboard images. I measured the outline both length and width.phone pics III 014.jpgphone pics III 015.jpgphone pics III 016.jpgphone pics III 017.jpgphone pics III 018.jpgphone pics III 019.jpg
Now it is just a matter of going to the copy shop and getting the correct size copies of my image.

Very interesting project...will love to see how you will tackle the challenging issue of reproducing the collapsed damage of the forward portions under both forward turrets. Sweet.

Rob

Uwe and Rob, thank you for showing interest. I have more photos and info. When the catastrophic explosion happen, it lifted the armored deck and when it came down, a lot of the ship wasn't there anymore. This explains the iconic picture of the forward mast bent the way it was. The port bow section is bowed outward and the deck forward of the superstructure is down quite a bit. Also, it looks like the keel was fractured because the line of the stern deck is off with the small portion of the bow that looks intact.

I had copies blown up to the correct size!
USSArizonaSinkingsimple.pngfig38a.jpgArizona build 001.jpg

Last edited:
Great drawing so utilize for the mods. Looks like you'll have to separate/cut the bow deck beginning at the forward conning to just before the prow and reattach the deck to the newly formed/deformed hull....replicating the damage. Looks fun...can't wait to see what you'll do. I can see this being a great diorama.

Rob

The bigger trick to pull-off is the water! 1/16 of inch is 26 scale inches! Any part of the ship that is above water, I have to remove a 1/16th of the model to keep it in perspective. I don't know what else I can use, that won't sag. Any ideas out there?

The bigger trick to pull-off is the water! 1/16 of inch is 26 scale inches! Any part of the ship that is above water, I have to remove a 1/16th of the model to keep it in perspective. I don't know what else I can use, that won't sag. Any ideas out there?

Well I used plxiglass for my water on my Ferreira build. I simply made sure any items above the water were cut to mimic what they would look like and any item below the water was also done in like manner. I suspect you can place the model under the plexi and only glue the items that actually stick above the water on the surface. I then laid a coat of resin on the surface and allowed it to get very stiff when it was drying and them forked the surface...this permitted the surface to slowly sag back and made the water surface ripply. I also painted the under surface to add color and depth detail. I wanted the water to look like a a backwater...murky and discolored with algae and surface yuk.

Here is a pic of what I did.887498_10200166628821593_2037723224_o.jpg1454583_10201589379469470_825845786_n.jpg

Last edited:
Shane,
An honorable project, and great planning. Will be watching your progress and tank you for sharing this with us!

Thanks Danno, I think I need to juggle projects to keep me sane. I need to get the Shapeways Memorial for this project soon and I may start a third project, so stay tuned.
Hi Shane. Would you get us to know, what is Shapeways Memorial and why would you need it for your project?

Many thanks for the detailed explanation. It is amazing how much you can make with modern technology. 3D printing....ask me about it 10 years ago...:eek:

I was going to build them from scratch and was not sure how well they would turn out. But when I saw that Shapeways made a scale model that matched the Revell box scale (they make 1/350; 1/429; 1/700 memorials) I was excited. I will order the memorial and moorings soon.

Back