USS Arizona Memorial model - Revell 1/426 USS Arizona, Shapeways Memorial - by SigEp Ziggy

I have been slowly getting some work done. I am looking at replacing the three remaining guns with metal barrels. The plastic ones are not to scale. Working on both the rear deck and the main piece of the forward deck where the gun turrets are. Also, a fellow modeler sent me some photo etch to use for railings on the dock and memorial.

oct2019phonepics 005.jpgoct2019phonepics 006.jpg

Just found this very interesting project - I had not realised the extent of the damage to the ship.
The huge loss of life was tragic, as tended to happen when these large ships were destroyed. We had parallels in the British Navy, with HMS Hood (three survivors) blown up by the Bismark, and HMS Repulse and HMS Prince of Wales sunk by the Japanese.
Will follow the rest of this project with great interest.
Ted

Thank you for comment. You are correct about the history of these famous sinkings and interest in modeling the ships you mentioned. This build is a challenge because it is three fold, the ship, the memorial and the diorama itself. I would be proud to have you follow along.

Very nice work. Years ago, when I was really into aviation, I built plastic models. I forgot how much fun they were, and how well done they can be...like yours, Shane! Keep up the great work!
Same here, Dave.
A lot of the plastic and balsa aircraft models I built are still hanging from the ceiling of my workshop!
Great fun, and very absorbing.
My godson decided he would like to build a plastic Spitfire, so got a small Airfix for him and said we would build it together the next week.
He couldn't wait..........
Have you ever seen a Spitfire with the wings on back to front, a bent propeller, and a canopy totally ruined with glue?

Ted

Guys - let's don't spam Shane's Arizona project with stories about our airplane models. Although I will say that I have an old Monogram kit of the F-102 Delta Dagger under construction right now. :)

Very nice work. Years ago, when I was really into aviation, I built plastic models. I forgot how much fun they were, and how well done they can be...like yours, Shane! Keep up the great work!
Same here, Dave.
A lot of the plastic and balsa aircraft models I built are still hanging from the ceiling of my workshop!
Great fun, and very absorbing.
My godson decided he would like to build a plastic Spitfire, so got a small Airfix for him and said we would build it together the next week.
He couldn't wait..........
Have you ever seen a Spitfire with the wings on back to front, a bent propeller, and a canopy totally ruined with glue?

Ted

Guys, it's all about sharing our hobby with others. My three sons are in their late teens and early twenties, I look forward to glue tube models with my grandchildren.

Doc, I may need your help. I decided to PM Donnie about a 1/48 Blandford download. I have never done anything like this before and might need help with downloading and making copies.

No problems, Shane. As of today, Mike 41 and Don Farr have completed the build, and I am nearly done. There are also a few that are further behind, but progressing. We’re all here to help if we can. Go for it! Just make sure to start a build log. The most important part is the keel. Take your time with the backbone of your ship!

I will also followyour Blandford project Shane, my project is of the very slow type but it goes ahead, side by side with two other projects, good luck, greetings-

This is a great build Shane.I would be had pressed to think of a model that provokes as much emotion as this does.I have not visited the Arizona memorial.I have visited Scapa Flow where a green buoy marks the final resting place of HMS Royal Oak.She was torpedoed by U47 eighty years ago and the oil can still be seen seeping from the wreck to this day from the cliff tops.It is a very moving sight.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you Nigel for showing interest in my build and for sharing your experience at Scapa Flow.

It's a shame that this generation does not appreciate or even know about the sacrifice paid in the name of freedom. I raised my sons knowing about history, honor, sacrifice and hard work thru the Boy Scouts of America. I hope this model will educate some and honor the men and women who have served and are currently serving in the military.

Thanks John,
Well, I have a plan. I found that inexpensive picture frames at Wally World use very thin plexiglass or polystyrene. I plan to use that and stipple a gloss median on top. I will experiment and post my test results here before I commit to the diorama. I did buy some 1/2 MDF at Home Depot, hint... hint...

Ziggy,
You are doing some very outstanding work. It is really coming along.
Glad I found you over here. I can follow along on both your Threads and won't miss anything.

Your detailing of the stern area looks real good.

Keep the photos coming.

Nino

Back