USS Bonhomme Richard 1779 1:48 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Due to the high quality of your kit and built, I decided to buy the pear version of the section.
I started also a building log of the section model, so if you are interested go to

Great looking details of the hull

Only to mention this once more:

THIS IS A KIT Model !!!

Look at this:
IMG_20190526_174700.jpg

I checked in your older posts the construction of the second planking, and realized, that you did not simulate the caulking between the planks somehow.
Now, looking at your last close-up photo, we get an impression of caulking between the planks (red arrows)

111.jpg

How you get this impression - some kind of weathering?
BTW the treenails made with your birch toothpicks are looking very good. Usually birch is very light, but now, I have to state, that they are looking very good

For the caulking: the secret is in bithumen varnish. First of all, I slightly open the seams either with a needle from a compass, or I make a small chamfer on the edges before putting the planks. Then, when I use the varnish, I apply it with a brush a wipe it with a cloth straight away. Varnish goes inside the cavities, creating a darker colour.

Thanks a lot Uwe!
Well no, these are all old photos. I finished the hull at the end of July and I'm posting the photos of 1.5 years of work, I haven't posted all of them yet. I'm working on the shrouds now

Back