USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

386.jpg
Just a word of warning, these are the uprights for the rail that extends above the belfry rails,
the wooden rail that sits in these slots is slightly too large and the slots need filing out,
thaey are very delicate.

387.jpg
assembling the parts for the bell, I just used a pin and when i glued it in place I left enough
below for a hand hold, you could if you want to just glue a piece of rope in the bell,

388.jpg
The complete rail assembled but not yet glued in place, this is the carved pear version,

389.jpg
and this is the etched version with the carved cherry belfry,

390.jpg

the pin rail that goes behind the mast,

391.jpg
and a more informational view,

392.jpg
I was a little bit frightened coming to the end of the inside planking, I was not sure how
it was going to turn out, so this side came out OK,

393.jpg
and it turned out the other side was exactly the same, this was the same on both sections,

394.jpg
cutting out the upper port,

395.jpg
and the bitts glued in place,

396.jpg
a close up view,

Sorry that I am a bit long winded describing things, but I hope it helps the newer members, thanks for looking,

best regards John,

397.jpg
now for the out side planking, from these two ports up the planking is 7mm x 2mm, so I tack glued a
sacrificial plank across the bottom of the two ports to help in laying the planks above it, and also to
help when I am giving the final sanding to that section of planking so I do not round over the bottom
edges of the planks,

398.jpg
one side finished, just got to trim the ends,

399.jpg
close up,

400.jpg
both sections planked, and the sacraficial plank removed,

401.jpg
and a close up after sanding, still have to be trimmed yet,

Last edited:
It looks so tasty, John...but...wait, I didn't receive my invitation, yet!! ;) But I am not worried as you will keep the meals frozen

G'day Jim, the door is always open, and the Company is always nice, feel free to drop in any time, you will definitely have a welcome,

best regards John,

View attachment 185950
Well first off I had a bit of a cook up yesterday, for lunch I made Seafood Marinara with spiral pasta and
Tomato and basil sauce, that was really yummy.

View attachment 185951
I also made a four litre bowl of beef casserole, just before it went in the oven,

View attachment 185952
and when it came out, the potatoes and gravy on the top are nice and crunchy, this one is for lunch on Sunday,

View attachment 185953

I also made a large wok full of beef curry, this one will be frozen down into meal size portions, I'm starting to feel hungry now,

Do you do take away also? Can we order them in a special sos edition?
Starting to get hungry.

Btw your set of Bon Homme Richard looks perfect

Do you do take away also? Can we order them in a special sos edition?
Starting to get hungry.

Btw your set of Bon Homme Richard looks perfect
G'day Maarten, I would have to have special Thermo containers to keep them all warm, How about another great sugestion, you all come down under and enjoy the food fresh, now that would be a great party,

bets regards John.

404.jpg
For attaching the decorative cappings etc, I decided to add a piece through the middle of them so that they would
overhang the bulwarks inboard as well as outboard, as the tops of these parts are going to be painted black i decided
to use some good quality ply that I had handy, the above pic shows the scrolls being glued to the ply,

405.jpg
and the end parts glued up as well,

407.jpg
two of the scrolls after the top has been shaped,

408.jpg
The parts for one section ready for priming,

409.jpg
I primed them with some clear satin varnish, as the sides will be left as varnished and the tops painted black as
will the top rail,

410.jpg
another view,

416.jpg
I made up the channels and attached them as in the pics below,

417.jpg
drilled and fixed one pin, located this pin and then drilled the next one,

418.jpg
secured in place,

419.jpg
They supply a piece of craft blade in the kit with three profiles on it, here you can see I am using the middle profile
to shape the moulding for the side rail,

420.jpg
overall view of the rail after the moulding has been scrapped into it,

Had a little bit of a set back this last three months, Iv'e got a trapped nerve in my left shoulder, been having physio on and it is coming good slowly, then this last week the ring finger on my left hand has decided to curl under and lock in place, waiting to see the Doc about that, any way that is my
my whinge for the day,

421.jpg

422.jpg

423.jpg
I decided to have a go at making the chain plates, I had some nice 1mm copper wire so decided to use that,

424.jpg
Forming the rings for the dead eyes to sit in,

425.jpg
and making the chain loops,

426.jpg
and cutting them to shape,

427.jpg
Showing one made up and with the smaller loops for at the bottom of the chai plates,

428.jpg
I've finally got around to attaching the keels, a couple of pieces of copper wire just to keep everything in place,

429.jpg
a few planks attached each side,

430.jpg
another view,

431.jpg
This is one section sitting on top of the other,

432.jpg
and the pic tipped on its side to show as one section,

434.jpg

435.jpg
Thats all of the external planking finished,

Had a little bit of a set back this last three months, Iv'e got a trapped nerve in my left shoulder, been having physio on and it is coming good slowly, then this last week the ring finger on my left hand has decided to curl under and lock in place, waiting to see the Doc about that, any way that is my
my whinge for the day,
Get well soon, John!

thank you guys for all the likes and dislikes, much appreciated,
Get well soon, John!
Thank you Jim,

Hopefully you will be feeling better soon John.
See that your ship model production is not suffering from it, very nice work.

Thank you Maarten, luckily I am right handed and determined, and as they say, no pain no gain.

I see you guys all have new build logs with the Alert model, must get around to catching up on them, every time I log in there are more new members and posts, it's all fantastic and marvellous, great days,
.best regards John,

Back