USS BONHOMME RICHARD - POF - Cross Section in Cherry - 1:48 - by neptune,

Hi John!

It is amazing what is possible today. A great upgrade for a basic kit. It still needs some rework. But in the final result for an everage model builder not to create by himself.
I am just thinking about my first model, which was built from a few boards and planks.

With best regards
Thomas

Question, cause after seeing this I have to have one...lol. Is the Pear wood version worth the extra $80 over the Cherry wood one??

thanks!

Question, cause after seeing this I have to have one...lol. Is the Pear wood version worth the extra $80 over the Cherry wood one??

thanks!
In my opinion yes!
But this is my subjective opinion based on the high quality timber I got in my pear version of the kit

A big difference in the ornament parts - from distance the laser is looking good, but the cnc carved are much better.
Dry assembled is the laser one, or?
Yes Uwe, I am using the laser one to establish the camber of the deck.
On one of the upgrades I only bought the carved belfry and the top and bottom rails, so I will be using one of the laser etched front rails on that section, on the Pear upgrade I got the belfry, top and bottom rails, and the carved front as well,

Best regards John,

Well with two identical kits, one is practice and the other is finished work maybe, but your two grandsons won't know which is which, as they both look grand!
You could say that Ken, but what I actually did, was to build so much on one section then do exactly the same on the second section, then on the second section I did some more building then repeated that work on the first section, so it's like a dog chasing his tail, the only thing is that when he wants to cock his leg you have to make sure he's outside in the garden,

Best regards John,

thanks!
G'day Gregory, it's up to you, I choose the cherry, because I was going to replace all the decking with ordinary pine wood, which I did by cutting it all on my Proxxon saw, there are some great deals out there, I bought my two kits off AliExpress, with postage and upgrades I got them both for approx $600 Australia,
Hope this helps you,

Best regards John,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Would the grandkids even know the difference or could they tell.

I am sure things might be different if Neptune was building for his personnel collection.

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and popped for the extra $$ and got the Pear. I ordered from AliExpress as well!!!

so, you know I’m watching this thread with great interest...lolol
Hopefully, we can see your crosssection in a build log soon... :)

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and popped for the extra $$ and got the Pear. I ordered from AliExpress as well!!!

and you should know, that we will follow your log also with big interest ;)
Would be great, if you start your building log

G'day Gregory, looking forward to your build, the more the merrier, every build has its own personality so to speak,

Best regards John,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Would the grandkids even know the difference or could they tell.

I am sure things might be different if Neptune was building for his personnel collection.

G'day Ken, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, especially the last sentence,

Best regards john,

375.jpg
I have started assembling the rails for the front of the quarter deck, this is the laser etched cherry rails with
the carved cherry belfry,

374.jpg
The belfries looked a little bit on the thin side so I decided to also use the kit ones as well to
go on the back of the carved ones, the carved ones only had a carving on the front, I had to
thin the kit ones down a bit and this is what I'm doing in the above pic,

376.jpg

379.jpg
the etched rail with the carved belfry after a coat of varnish, I still have the top rails to attach,

377.jpg
This is the carved pear wood rail and belfry with cherry stanchions,

378.jpg
and a view from the back with the etched piece of belfry added,

380.jpg
and after a coat of varnish,

381.jpg
another view from a distance,

383.jpg
and a close up,

384.jpg
and a view from the back,

385.jpg
and the two sections together, none of the rails are attached yet, I will leave that for later on,

thank you for looking,

best regards John,

Very good that you are showing us both versions to compare - good work my friend

IMG20201008190127.jpg
Well first off I had a bit of a cook up yesterday, for lunch I made Seafood Marinara with spiral pasta and
Tomato and basil sauce, that was really yummy.

IMG20201009140358.jpg
I also made a four litre bowl of beef casserole, just before it went in the oven,

IMG20201009170924.jpg
and when it came out, the potatoes and gravy on the top are nice and crunchy, this one is for lunch on Sunday,

IMG20201009140428.jpg

I also made a large wok full of beef curry, this one will be frozen down into meal size portions, I'm starting to feel hungry now,

Back