USS Constitution 1:76 Scratch

Thank you Marc.

When making the details, I use the photos of the actual ship and US Navy Museum plans on the internet. As you know, many changes have been made on the ship over time. I am trying to make a model that is as representative of the current condition of the ship as possible.

Last edited:
I guessed that something was getting lost in translation from what you see in the photos of the actual guns, and how your eyes and your camera perceive the color of your paint.

You're probably asking the wrong guy. When they gave me those colorblindness tests that look like camouflage with the little polka dots of color to test my color perception during my pre-induction draft physical in '69, you were supposed to see either one number appear in the mass of dots or another which was supposed to determine whether you were color blind or not. I was able to see two different numbers (like 56 and 49) appear and change back and forth in each of at least two different charts. I probably would have been a good spotter identifying artillery hidden under camo nets flying around at low altitudes in a Birddog spotter plane. A unique visual acuity which could easily have gotten me killed!
But fortunately, flat feet kept me out of the army.
I agree with you. The cannon carriages in the photos from the actual ship look slightly more orangey beige. Yours in your photos taken by a different camera of your models look more pink. The one being lowered into the hold has a more neutral to pinkish cast. So, I think the perceived difference could be due to a number of factors. Perhaps a subtle thin wash of yellow might make up the difference. But don't trust my color perception!
Maybe it's time to look at one of those polka dot eye charts and find out if you too may be Birddog material! ;)

Pete

Could the cannons in the pictures on the real ship actually have some fading or patina from being exposed to the sun. I wonder how the colors look on the one below the main deck?
A reasonable assumption. UV does fade color and wood surfaces in pretty short order.

Could the cannons in the pictures on the real ship actually have some fading or patina from being exposed to the sun. I wonder how the colors look on the one below the main deck?
In the second photo, the gun carriage lowered by the crane belongs to the lower deck, and the color of the gun carriages on the spar deck is not much different (first photo).
By the way, I have never been on this ship, I am just commenting on the photos.

I'm really starting to suspect my eyes, Peter. Please what color do you see the gun carriages in the photos below?

View attachment 419566View attachment 419567
I think the color is distorted and somehow represents 'pinkish'. Just look at the bricks on the apartment building on the back, the bricks are almost the same color (a bit lighter) as the carriage gun. It is hard to believe,it was built using pink bricks, but... it is quite possible. Who knows...

Back