USS Constitution by Model Expo

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Is anyone building the USS Constitution by Model Expo? I have done a search, but to my surprise, I have yet to find anyone building this version.

Donald

I went looking and noticed they offer the Model Shipways USS Constitution. Does Model Expo have their own version? I am interested because the Constitution will be my next build once i complete the San Francisco II galleon. (I mentioned this to my wife and she said "Should I start saving for Christmas ?).

Screenshot_20210721-075827_Chrome.jpg

I will be starting it in a couple of months when the weather starts getting cooler. It's quite a build, though. I looked through the kit and there is a lot of fabrication that will be required. I also purchased the Tutorial from that guy at Lauck Shipyard. Was there a specific question that you had about the kit?

Truth be told the plans look intimidating as well. I hope there is extra lumber in the kit...

Last edited:
I know that Bluejacket also offers the USS Coney, but the Model Expo version is 48" long and is longer than the Bluejacket version. Both claim they have the best version. I am more inclined to the ME version. I am sure the BJ version is just as nice.

I do not have any specific question other than the fact that you answered most of it 'requires a lot of fabrication'. Interesting about the Lauckstreet Tutorial. I know that Bob Hunt of the LSSS puts out a lot of good stuff. I need to investigate that.

obsidean12, when you start, I would like to follow it. I am involved with my Druid right now at least until the end of the year. (or that is when I would like to finish it).

I know that Bluejacket also offers the USS Coney, but the Model Expo version is 48" long and is longer than the Bluejacket version. Both claim they have the best version. I am more inclined to the ME version. I am sure the BJ version is just as nice.

I do not have any specific question other than the fact that you answered most of it 'requires a lot of fabrication'. Interesting about the Lauckstreet Tutorial. I know that Bob Hunt of the LSSS puts out a lot of good stuff. I need to investigate that.

obsidean12, when you start, I would like to follow it. I am involved with my Druid right now at least until the end of the year. (or that is when I would like to finish it).
Ok. One major difference between Bluejacket and ME version is that the Bluejacket is a solid hull. I tried one of their kits before and I must confess that I don't like solid hulls. But that is just me.

Oh really. So, the BJ is a solid hull. Very interesting and thank you for pointing that out !!! Now, I would not think of a kit that size as being a solid hull.

Is the ME Coney kit available currently?

Last time I checked it was out of stock and waiting on some new castings or like items to be ready to produce completed kits.

Maybe our friend from the company can give some input on kit status.

on the Model Ship Builders site there is a build by Jonathan G on the Constitution from Model Expo

he also uses the Hunt course, great build with a great deal of research and detail
worth checking out of you are planning to build it

Ed

Ok. One major difference between Bluejacket and ME version is that the Bluejacket is a solid hull. I tried one of their kits before and I must confess that I don't like solid hulls. But that is just me.
I read that too. They indicated you still had two decks to complete and that some decking could be omitted to allow looking into the interior. I'm not sure I'd like solid hulls. I do like plank-on-bulkhead.

According to ME site:

MODEL SHIPWAYS USS CONSTITUTION 48" LONG 1:76 SCALE
$569.99
BACKORDERED - EXPECT 15-20 DAYS TO FUFILL YOUR OR

Last time I checked it was out of stock and waiting on some new castings or like items to be ready to produce completed kits.

I had to wait a few weeks too when I got mine. The guy that runs model expo should be able to give you a more precise date.

I'm currently building the Model Shipways kit, I looked at Blue Jackets it too is a very nice kit but also was not to crazy about the solid hull. It's has been a big challenge, I eventually had to purchase the Hunt practicum, worth every penny. Check out Micro Mark they have the kit in stock for 569.99.

I will check on Monday 26th about the existing quantity or when will it go out on production again.
Also I can supply photos of the builded version we have at the store.

on the Model Ship Builders site there is a build by Jonathan G on the Constitution from Model Expo

he also uses the Hunt course, great build with a great deal of research and detail

worth checking out of you are planning to build it”

Ed
Hi, I’m Jonathan G building Model Expo’s Model Shipway USS Constitution. My build log is not only on ModelShipWorld, which you need to join (no cost) in order to see the images or comment but mirrored on Model Ship Builder which you can see the images but can’t comment if not a member (also no cost).

There are numerous build logs both completed and ongoing on ModelShipWorld for both the Model Expo version and Bluejacket among others. If you look at them, you will notice this is not a build for the novice although it’s only my second build, I am using Robert Hunt’s practicum only as a guide. It’s a good guide but not perfect, which why I’ve checked out close to 50 build logs, be it cross-sections, solid hulls, bulkheads, or frames. I used Robert’s practicum for my Mamoli Rattlesnake build (my first build) religiously and could not have built it without him. Nobody builds ships the same way as each other. I try to take the best techniques for me and use them on my model.

I also have an extensive photo library gleamed from Google searches, as well as the US Navy plans which I first got directly from the US Navy online (not available anymore) and the USS Constitution Museum which they sell on DVDs.

I did all of this because I am adding all the detail (scratch built) I can to the gun deck, which in the kit’s purest form, they don’t do. The kit does mention that’s an option, but provides no support for that endeavor. Because I am relying heavily on photos, my build is basically as the ship is today (minus tourist amenities e.g., loudspeakers, gun port netting, etc. Bluejacket’s build is based on its 1812 configuration as best as it’s known.

I started my build in Feb 2017 and have just finished planking the hull with a few side trips building the all the whale boats and gun deck accoutrements. As you can see, I am not the fastest build you will meet. It’s the journey I enjoy.

As far as purchasing the kit, Model Expo is always running a sale. Sign up so they send you sale notices. Some are one day sales; others last a month. I would wait for the right sale to get the better price. I bought mine on sale back 2016 sometime for $350 and I’ve seen it as high as $600

Jon

Is anyone building the USS Constitution by Model Expo? I have done a search, but to my surprise, I have yet to find anyone building this version.

Donald

Donald
I’m currently working on that kit. Great build but some of the wood leaves a lot to be desired. Using Bob’s practicum from Lauckstreet Shipyard and it’s so good that I’ve yet to even look at the instruction manual that comes with the kit.

6D363727-AAB5-4274-8412-284A24E8CA22.jpeg120DE728-851E-4BBC-AF86-C20172B63B71.jpeg

Hi, I’m Jonathan G building Model Expo’s Model Shipway USS Constitution. My build log is not only on ModelShipWorld, which you need to join (no cost) in order to see the images or comment but mirrored on Model Ship Builder which you can see the images but can’t comment if not a member (also no cost).

There are numerous build logs both completed and ongoing on ModelShipWorld for both the Model Expo version and Bluejacket among others. If you look at them, you will notice this is not a build for the novice although it’s only my second build, I am using Robert Hunt’s practicum only as a guide. It’s a good guide but not perfect, which why I’ve checked out close to 50 build logs, be it cross-sections, solid hulls, bulkheads, or frames. I used Robert’s practicum for my Mamoli Rattlesnake build (my first build) religiously and could not have built it without him. Nobody builds ships the same way as each other. I try to take the best techniques for me and use them on my model.

I also have an extensive photo library gleamed from Google searches, as well as the US Navy plans which I first got directly from the US Navy online (not available anymore) and the USS Constitution Museum which they sell on DVDs.

I did all of this because I am adding all the detail (scratch built) I can to the gun deck, which in the kit’s purest form, they don’t do. The kit does mention that’s an option, but provides no support for that endeavor. Because I am relying heavily on photos, my build is basically as the ship is today (minus tourist amenities e.g., loudspeakers, gun port netting, etc. Bluejacket’s build is based on its 1812 configuration as best as it’s known.

I started my build in Feb 2017 and have just finished planking the hull with a few side trips building the all the whale boats and gun deck accoutrements. As you can see, I am not the fastest build you will meet. It’s the journey I enjoy.

As far as purchasing the kit, Model Expo is always running a sale. Sign up so they send you sale notices. Some are one day sales; others last a month. I would wait for the right sale to get the better price. I bought mine on sale back 2016 sometime for $350 and I’ve seen it as high as $600

Jon
Hi, I had seen your build log and it's great! Was wondering about that extra wood kit you purchased. Is there any way for me to purchase it too?

I believe you are referring to the substitute wood package offered by Hobby Mill. Unfortunately Hobby Mills is no longer in business. I believed the owner retired. However I do have the pricing list which details of what he was selling and where in Mr. Hunt's Practicum it is suppose to be used. The list typical states that it replaces "X" with "Y". It does not however indicate how much wood or the sizes. That you have to figure out from Mr. Hunt's instructions.

I did buy extra basswood from my local hoppy store to help construct the gun deck furniture and what nots.

Attachments

• USS_Constitution_Wood_Supplement - HobbyMill.pdf
    115.2 KB · Views: 47
Hi this is Jedd
I completed the Model Expo kit of the USS Constitution on 12/29/20. It took me 2 1/2 years to finish. I used Bob Hunt's practicum which was invaluable! Two excellent build logs are by Xken and usedtosail on Model Ship World. I did use copper plates by Caldercraft (1:72 scale) instead of the foil tape that comes with the model. Because of my patience and eye sight, I omitted a small amount of detail here and there. It is a very rewarding build! Good luck!

IMG_20210121_115707.jpgIMG_20210110_130413063.jpgIMG_20210110_130115534.jpgIMG_20210102_110709005.jpg

Jedd:
You did a great job with your Connie.
She is simply a showpiece and an eyecatcher.
Do you have a building log with us?

Back