USS Constitution from Scientific Models

I would have to use the Admiral’s green mat. I don’t think I’ll ask her.
...by using the 'Green Mat, you have already assigned yourself to a special 'UTGMG' group (Using The Green Mat Group); in such cases, permission from your Admiral is irrelevant. :p

I’m making all 20 something of them, Bill. Yes I thought about them briefly, but then I thought again.

There was an FSM article back in the early 2000s about making sails. I'll look for mine if you are interested.

Bill
Sewing on the bolt rope, which is actually a cloth-covered length of wire. It helps to form the sail to make it look like the wind is having an effect on it.

View attachment 451071View attachment 451072View attachment 451073View attachment 451074View attachment 451075
Beautifully done!

Bill

Where do you get your cloth covered wire from. That does make a nice looking sail for those who wish to have the ship under way.
The wire actually came with the kit. I was surprised at that level of detail with this kit. I wish I had a stock of it, but the manufacturer is no longer with us. I wonder if someone else makes it. Steve Miller, the maker of the Galilee Boat has some painted and plaited wire that looks kind of like rope. I used that for my bolt rope on that kit. I have some left over and might use it when I run out of the cloth covered stuff. I’m wondering how to make some. Any ideas, mates?

I still haven’t decided whether to add top and bottom bolt ropes and reef points yet. Reefers would be a challenge since I don’t smoke. I also don’t know how I’d put the horizontal reef lines in. Would I just sew two parallel lines across the sail and stitch the reef points in between them? On one ship, I glued a paper strip down and sewed the reefers through them. This is a really small scale. Would they add much to the look? I also don’t think I’ll add clues and cringles.

Back