• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

USS Constitution - Model Shipways

The kit doesn't include these parts?

One of the challenges associated with scratch building (or kit-bashing) is that you need to purchase dimensional strips and sheets if you don't have the tooling (or inclination) to process wood yourself:


The problem is you will need to purchase lots of dimensional stock because you won't necessarily know up front what you will need. Of course if you had or made a thicknesser (thickness sander) that gives you more flexibility.

I suppose these particular parts could be made from basswood - but that would be pretty much my last choice
no the kit does not. you have to make them from scratch.
 
If you live in or close to a major city, you may have a Woodcraft store that will have dimensional lumber and wood blanks that may fit your needs. Whenever I am driving by my local store, I'll drop in to look at any of the specials they have going on. Wish I knew more about some of these wood species they sell... but they always have the basic cherry, maple, oak, walnut. The small carving stock they have are perfect sizes for our shipbuilding needs.
you are lucky to have that sort of service. THat sort of thing is not viable around here. We do have a Michaels though and a Walmart, lol
 
You can get rough cut (full size) boards (boxwood and virtually every other species) domestically, but not dimensional strips and sheets. My orders from Estonia have been large enough to make the shipping acceptable - but a small order would make no sense.

If Mark lived near me I could process material for him. Of course, that option is available to you as needed...
I have tried to get boxwood domestically, exhausting, if memory serves, the list of providers use specified some time ago. I certainly have a tools to be able to dimension just about anything from a large board, but struck out with US providers.

I'll give it another try when I get back to my office. I wouldn't mind loading up on a bunch of board feet just to have it.
 
Back
Top