USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

Hi Geoff,
I am curious about your use of rubber band for securing your deck. Do you get warping of your larger pieces when your release your bands?
:?: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike

As I have placed the rubber band as close to the frames as I could I don't think there is any warping. The rubber band where firm but not excesice Also on this kit there are also 10mm * 10mm structural beams going the length of the ship If you used the rubber band half bay between the frames then you might warp the false deck.

Cheers
Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I'm working on the Bounty right now. I doing the rigging. My next build will be the USS Constitution and I plan to use your technics.
:text-thankyouyellow: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Mike

Is that going to be a Model Shipways Uss Constitution. My Connie is a Mamoli and they were burn't down a few years back, but Dusek Ship Kits have bought the rights to Mamoli. I' pretty sure that they have not got to the Connie and are working on there Mini series. The MS Connie to totally different in the hull construction to the Mamoli Connie

Remember what works on one ship model may not work on another, but all you can do is try and see what works as tools in the Construction.

Cheers
Geoff

HI Geoff,
My version of "Old Ironsides" is Constructo. I bought it when I joined this club. Since it had been over twenty years since I had attempted to build a model I was waiting until my skills got a little better to start. I have finished one ship, HMS Endeavour, and Bounty's Jolly Boat. As I said I'm finishing a version of the Bounty that I got from a friend who gave up on it. I do hope to get started soon though.
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Mike

I bought my Mamoli USS Constitution of Model Expo eBay Website. I cannot remember the price I paid but it was less than half price including postage and I received it within about 2 weeks of the purchase. I know of one other Mamoli USS Constitution that was built on another Forum and I have and edited copy of the build log that was posted. The planking on the deck had not been started and that is basically where the build log starts.

I have seen plenty of MS USS Constitution but I do not recall seeing any other manufacturers USS Constitution kiits.

I am looking forward to see you start your build.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Sure is great to see you back at work again in your Old Ship Yard. Your hull planking sure does give your ship a lot of very nice flowing lines, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Geoff

Wow your Connie is coming along very nicely.
Good workmanship and nice and clean.

Denis.

It is amazing how things start to look good and take shape when the planking starts. By the way, are those gun ports like a Britannia metal ? I bet it took you a while to clean up all the flashing - or did it have any? I don't know how to explain flashing other than it is those "seams" that the motel metal overflows into like a cast that overflows and you have to scrape the excess off.
Also, I know of a company blue Jacket ( http://www.bluejacketinc.com/ ) that also makes the Constitution. Besides the one you are making, the only other left is Model Expo that does the Connie.

Donnie

Lawrence

I will be starting work on the Connie for the first time in about 6 to 9 months probably Wednesday or Thursday probably about half an hour ad day max.

It is good to see old mates down here on SOS and I see you are enjoying the site by posting your own ships a commenting on other builds.

Cheers
Geoff

Denis

It is probably up to you and Brian giving that little push and that was not of the wharf to get back into Ship Modeling again.

I have cleaned up my work bench this morning and put all my tools away. I will be starting to pull the tools back out as I need the them and not clutter up like they where getting

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff

I would never think of pushing you off the wharf ha-ha.

Hey mate as a good friend I don't want you to waste away into the ether, you have too much talent as a ship builder for that.

If it means pushing you sorry I prefer encouraging you to keep you building your ships then I will do, or help you in any way.

Denis.

Aussie048 said:
Denis

It is probably up to you and Brian giving that little push and that was not of the wharf to get back into Ship Modeling again.

I have cleaned up my work bench this morning and put all my tools away. I will be starting to pull the tools back out as I need the them and not clutter up like they where getting

Cheers
Geoff

I'm terrible for having a very messy work bench Geoff and always say I will improve, but do not! :D I compromise and tidy up after a given job, so everything got tidied up before I started my first planking. Now a month or so later it is in a right mess again, but the planking is done, so I will be good and spend a couple of hours on tidying up and putting tools back where they belong. I find it helps to focus the mind ;-)

Emma/Eric

Well at least I now know where there tools are. Nope not on the work table. They must be in the cupboard. OOPS. That could be scary.

You must remember that up to date this has been a reconstructed build log which I started on Tue Jul 12, 2016. It does look better than the table without the old bed sheet covering everything up.

So a fresh star later this week with taking measurements of the bulkhead frames and then start planking again. :DP1010001D.jpg

Hi Geoff,
I have been meaning to ask you do you put a coat of varnish or use furniture oil on your model during the build?
Your build log pictures look as though you are finishing the wood as you go. I like the look. :cool:
:handgestures-thumbup: :music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike

Up to date I have only done a bit of sanding around some of the lower gun ports to see what was the best way to go. I used my little Proxxon Pensander for this which worked well

All of the Mamoli Connie hull is painted. Even the faux copper tiles which are made of wood. I did a little bit of research a year or so ago on replacing the faux copper tiles and I think it was Amanti had the better solution. That is if I go down that track taking into account there are about 1500 tiles to put on. The other Mamoli Connie the faux copper tiles where used.

The first thing that would be varnished would be the deck after the grating etc have been glued down. I will be making a cardboard cutout to protect the deck until it is time to varnish to protect the replacement Cherry deck planking.

One thing to say about varnishing is look at the drying times.

I will also take on board any advice as to what to use when getting closer to finishing the deck which is a long way off.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Zoltan

Thanks for the suggestion

I check out prices on the JAX Pewter Blackener and there is nothing around here

eBay from the USA with free shipping comes in at AU $63.13

With the cannons in place I don't think much will be seen in the lower gun ports, so I think just painting them is the best option. I could not justify the cost

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff,did you try to order from the link I gave you? The 1 pint bottle is 21.90 canadian what is about the same in Au dollar.

Zoltan

It says select a country and the only country that comes up is Canada.They probably do not export to anywhere.

The Canadian Dollar to the The AUD is 21.49 to 21.28

Painting the inside of the gun ports is probably the best and cheapest option.

Cheers
Geoff

Back