USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

Matte black would be a good choice. Get a small tin of CHALK BOARD BLACK from Bunnings. Those areas are small so a little matte in the gloss won't go astray.

Regards
Eric

Eric

Thanks for that advice and not a bad idea

I have some Tamiya Flat Black that I bought some time ago which I was going to use.

I have already dry fitted a couple of cannons in the gun ports that are not painted and by time the gun ports do get painted black that will make them to appear even tighter and really not seen. Decisions Decisions Decisions.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

It is nice to see you being able to work and enjoy your Old Ship Yard again if only for 1/2 hour per day. It all adds up to great results and also a lot of enjoyment. Great job you are doing on your Connie she is sure starting to look good, the planking sure goes a long way for looks.

Yes, I am enjoying the SOS Form, I have been looking around a bit and also posting just a bit, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Lawrence

I also see that you have a few old mates down here. I've also seen quite a few of your posts.

I feel the crowd down here are pretty friendly and will compliment and give advice.

I've done a little bit today like build my spreadsheet for the tapering measurements.

In my off season I have already made up treenails down to a size that I can now put through the Byrnes Draw plate. Made up the grating but have to still make the frames for them.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

I also see that you have a few old mates down here. I've also seen quite a few of your posts.

I feel the crowd down here are pretty friendly and will compliment and give advice.

I've done a little bit today like build my spreadsheet for the tapering measurements.

In my off season I have already made up treenails down to a size that I can now put through the Byrnes Draw plate. Made up the grating but have to still make the frames for them.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

It sounds like you are working much more than that 1/2 hour per day, or is it that you are very fast in your ship building. I tend to be very slow but put in many hours per day. Shipbuilding is a great hobby and along with many shipmates to help and encourage things along. You will have to take a few pictures of your tree nailing and how you finish them up, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence

The is a reconstructed build log from the original photos.

I bought the pensander on 23 May 2016 and so far have used it on one job and that was sanding down the lower gun ports.

That use of the pensander around the gun ports was down within a few days of the purchase

I joined SOS 28 Jun 2016 and started the build log on 12 Jul 2016. I found it hard to get back into it again

I decided that I would not start building until the build log was up to date which I have just got up to date. If you look at the last of the pictures you will see that the planking is just below the lower gun ports and up to where the top rail will sit eventually.

At this stage I have only made the treenails and need to complete them by pulling them down to the right size through the drawplate. I did this post on how I went about starting the treenails. The are pulled down to the size of the largest hole in the drawplate at this stage

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Hi Lawrence

The is a reconstructed build log from the original photos.

I bought the pensander on 23 May 2016 and so far have used it on one job and that was sanding down the lower gun ports.

That use of the pensander around the gun ports was down within a few days of the purchase

I joined SOS 28 Jun 2016 and started the build log on 12 Jul 2016. I found it hard to get back into it again

I decided that I would not start building until the build log was up to date which I have just got up to date. If you look at the last of the pictures you will see that the planking is just below the lower gun ports and up to where the top rail will sit eventually.

At this stage I have only made the treenails and need to complete them by pulling them down to the right size through the drawplate. I did this post on how I went about starting the treenails. The are pulled down to the size of the largest hole in the drawplate at this stage

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Nice to hear that you are all caught up in your build log on your Connie and are starting to move ahead with your great build. I will be looking for new updates very soon, wishing you all of the luck in the world, and all of the joys that goes along with model ship building.

Got a Question can you explain just what a pen sander is, got a few ideas bet just wanted to make sure? ENJOY

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Lawrence

Here is the link to the Proxxon Pen Sander

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=89&p=17771#p17771

Brian put me onto it. It is a great little sander with a head on it of about 10 mm * 10 mm square . I think there are about 8 different shaped heads. Good for getting in those tight spots. I will explain the options on the other web page.

Cheers
Geoff

I have been given some advice on Varnish. Thanks Dennis

I would varnish the decks before you fit the gratings.

1) You can varnish the decks with long brush strokes without stopping for the gratings.

2) You will not have a build up of varnish when you have to stop at the gratings and start again.

How I do it is this.

1) Varnish the decks without any fittings on them.

2) Varnish the fittings off the decks (but not the bottom of the fittings).

3) When it comes to glue the fittings on the decks, I get a number 11 blade and scrape the varnish off.

4) Then glue the fittings on the decks.

Hi Mike

I think it would be a brave effort using a Dremel.

It would most likely damage the deck or the fixture

What attachment were you thinking of using

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I really hadn't given the dremel that much thought. When I saw your tool I wondered what would be a comparable substitute. :text-lol:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Hi Mike

Have a read of this topic. The Pensander is like a miniature orbital sander. Good for getting into tight spots. It's motion I think is only sideways.

http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=1170

Cheers
Geoff

I declare that the surgery is now open for business again after a long break :D

But first I need to get the paperwork done for the Tapering

The patient awaits.P1010109D.jpgOpen again.png023D.jpg

Hi Geoff,
How do you set up your spread sheet to figure your tapper for planking? I have never done that. May be the reason I have so many problems when it comes to planking. :oops: :-?

Mike

It is probably easier to email you this one. We can probably do that through SOS

How many bulkhead frames are in your build.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff, it appears I have a problem with with contacting you through the forum on PM. Can you PM me and I will give you my email for your spreadshhet.
Thanks
Regards
Eric

Hi Geoff,
I have sent you a PM with my e-mail address and 10 bulkheads for my ship. :text-woo:

Hi Geoff

Looks like you are ready to go.

I will have to get my A into G and start my Revenge again :) .

Denis.

Back