USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

There has been a bit of discussion lately on bending planks.

One of my previous builds had a buff bow. In the DVD that I purchase had a suggestion of how to bend planks and this can was the solution, It was the same size as the buff bow. You could use the same can on lesser curvef plank bending by just reducing the number of clamps in a lot of cases or get a can closer to the size of the curve. I just soaked the planking in boiling water for about half an hour

Issues I found was that no Hobby store supplied this can, but a lot of Chemists and Golf Club Pro shops do.

Problem 1 sorted as I found a chemist with the right tin can.

Problem 2 was I could not start planking until I had eaten all the lollies.

I did eventually start plank bending

With soaking the whole planks on my Connie I have found so far that just some map pins holding the wet planking on the bow block fillers is enough to bend the planksP1010068D.jpg

Hi Geoff,
I have read allot about using tin cans for bending planks but I have not tried it yet. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Aussie048 said:
There has been a bit of discussion lately on bending planks.

One of my previous builds had a buff bow. In the DVD that I purchase had a suggestion of how to bend planks and this can was the solution, It was the same size as the buff bow. You could use the same can on lesser curvef plank bending by just reducing the number of clamps in a lot of cases or get a can closer to the size of the curve. I just soaked the planking in boiling water for about half an hour

Issues I found was that no Hobby store supplied this can, but a lot of Chemists and Golf Club Pro shops do.

Problem 1 sorted as I found a chemist with the right tin can.

Problem 2 was I could not start planking until I had eaten all the lollies.

I did eventually start plank bending

With soaking the whole planks on my Connie I have found so far that just some map pins holding the wet planking on the bow block fillers is enough to bend the planks

P1010068D.jpg

Hello Geoff

Golly, you ate the whole can and saved none for your shipmates. Yes, the tin can method of plank bending is very handy, the tin gives the plank a firm backing and reduces the chances of it breaking, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Lawrence

I offered them around at the time. You must have been in Canada :text-imsorry:

Cheers
Geoff

One of the challenges I find is either marking or cutting a taper for a plank. You just need one more hand to stop slipping.

This jig makes it a bit easier to do both

A scrap of wood, a nut and metal thread, a washer as a pacer and a steel ruler is all you should need to make the jig

Cheers
GeoffP1010008D.jpg

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

I offered them around at the time. You must have been in Canada :text-imsorry:

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

Well, I guess I missed out on that can of sweets as like you say I was up here in Canada. Great little idea for you have for your plank taper jig. I will have to keep it in mind for my next plank tapering job. No ship plans as yet, but they should be here any day now, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Thanks Pauly/Thanks Lawrence.

It is one of my better ideas, but you don't get to see the bad ones. It does make it a lot easier to mark the taper. I am then using the sander to take off the excess.

It would be better with two of the. One for bow and one for stern. A mechanism to adjust a slider so you are always going to get the same taper without measuring once set. That sounds like to much work though.

Cheers
Geoff

That is a great solution Geoff, been thinking of making something so this job is a bit easier and this is the best idea I have seen.

Great idea Geoff. I'm ready to give it a try. :handgestures-thumbup: :greetings-clapyellow:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Gemma

Thanks for visiting my build log.

Although this works well, I think I make an upgrade to this one. At the moment I would need to modify it for marking 2nd planking material.

Cheers
Geoff

Mike

It might pay to see what I am up to with the new board.

Cheers
Geoff

Useful jig Geoff, absolutely i will make and use this jig in my next build. Have a great day!

Mustafa

Mustafa

Thanks for visiting my build log. I think there is going to be quite a few making a jig so they can mark or cut the planks

Cheers
Geoff

I closing the gap slowly. Extra clamps arrived in the mail this morning which is making the line up of the planks easier.

The next step is to check the plans, remeasure all of the bulkhead frames, which I will enter into the spreadsheet which will give me updated taper measurements and also show that the gap between bulkhead frames getting closercomparing from frame to frameP4280002D.jpgP4280001D.jpg

After consulting the sketch plans I see I need to put one more plank above the keel before I start tapering both stern and bow. I also note from the sketch plan that there are 3 planks that start after the sixth on the stern

After the sixth plank is layed I will do the remeasure and determine tapering

I have to fix my little indiscretion getting the curve correct from the kee around the bow which should be pretty easy. That can wait until the rest of the planking is on though

Cheers
GeoffP1010003D.jpgHull.jpg

Hi Geoff

Your Connie is coming along very nicely.
Planking is looking A1, keep up the good work.

Denis.

Hi Denis

Nothing achieved today on the Connie.

Spent the afternoon at a friends place with 5 of us, going through a discussion, shown knots, making twisted eye bolts, tools for rigging, resource information.

It was a pleasant afternoon well spent.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

It sure is nice to see your ship the Connie starting to take shape and showing her very graceful lines. It is also nice to see that you are taking your time and doing an excellent job on your hull planking, keep up the great work, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence

Thanks for visiting my shipyard. Yes the shipyard is moving slowly. Checking. Doing other things that need to be done.

Just taking my time.

Cheers
Geoff

Back