USS Constitution "Old Ironsides " 1:93 Scale Mamoli

We it was now onto the lower deck of my Connie. As I am going to make the hull sturdier once most of the first layer planking is dome I made modifications to the lower deck by enclosing the deck with walls and the main rails. The modifications will not be able to be seenP1010043D.jpgFoam.jpgP1010076D.jpgP1010082D.jpg

It seems that everything is nice and square.

Donnie

Hi Geoff

Nice to see my friend back building again.

Your Connie is looking great.

Denis.

Hi Geoff, those meringues look a bit lightweight for ballast, I think we should eat them and use leftover Christmas pud instead.
Enjoying your build, I don't catch up as often as I would like to at the moment.
Regards
Eric

Thanks for all the comments and I must get back to posting and getting the build log up to date. Then the most important thing. Start building again, making sawdust.

As some of you maybe aware that Mamoli was burnt down a few years back. Dusek Ship Kits bout the rights and are slowly geeting Mamoli backagain starting with the Mini Mamoli kits. http://www.dusekshipkits.com/

Eric the Christmas Pud might need to cut with a chain saw by now.

I am actually going to fill with the hull with expandable foam. Anyone trying this please take extreme care. One of my friends also fills his hulls with expandable foam. The expandable foam also helps bind the planking. This is a picture of my Norfolk sloop after filling with expandable foam.P1010090.JPG

The foam is a really cool idea. I think I will try that.
Thanks for sharing. :text-thankyouyellow:
:music-rockout: :handgestures-salute:

Eric
I can send you the left overs if you like.

Mike
As I said use with extreme care. Read the expansion rate on the can to give you an idea of how much to fill the cavity. I think I used a little to much but there was no damage done.

By the way the expanable foam was not my idea.

Cheers
Geoff

Now that the main beams are glues in it is time to get on with faring both the main beams and the frames. I used a combination of a half round file and a ruler with sand paper attached

The faring has now been completed.P1010083D.jpgP1010084D.jpgP1010085D.jpgP1010086D.jpgP1010087D.jpg

Well now I am on a role I thought we might get onto making the bow block fillers

Cutting out the bow blocks and shaping

Dry fitting the bow blocks

Fitting the bow blocks. I find rubber bands are grat the you don't have a flat surface to clamp with

Finally the bow block have been fitted and the faring on them is completeP1010088D.jpgP1010089D.jpgP1010091D.jpgP1010092D.jpg

Hull is shaping up great Geoff. Expanding foam looks like a good idea. Is it the stuff that comes in a can or the version that is separate chemicals that need to be mixed?

Aussie048 said:
Well now I am on a role I thought we might get onto making the bow block fillers

Cutting out the bow blocks and shaping
P1010088D.jpg

Dry fitting the bow blocks
P1010089D.jpg

Fitting the bow blocks. I find rubber bands are grat the you don't have a flat surface to clamp with
P1010091D.jpg

Finally the bow block have been fitted and the faring on them is complete
P1010092D.jpg

Hello Geoff

Nice to see that your Connie is back in your Old Ship Yard and that you are making great progress, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence

Nice to see an old buddy down here. The Connie is much further advanced and I am still catching up on the build log, very slowly.

You will find a loot of members down here that you probably know

Cheers
Geoff

Back