USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

Started on USS Constitution (Mamoli kit MV31). This is an old kit (before laser cutting). Two photos show keel pieces laid out (notice the numbering on the bow piece is on the wrong side). It is not glue yet. Having to sand the connections until I get a good fit. I am suppose to layout the master drawing (36x48) and lay the pieces over it to ensure accurate alignment. I don't have a big enough table. All the drawings are yellowed with age and easy to tear. I really don't want to cut of the drawings. I think I will see if the drawings can be copied or maybe I can put a light under the drawings and trace what I need on another piece of paper.20191209_094622.jpg20191209_094622.jpg20191209_094633.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck John. I was a newbie only 6 months ago. You have selected a challenging kit for your first build. I was able to secure a bunch of "old kits" from a deceased acquaintance and was lucky enough to have a relatively easier kit for my first ship. If you have any experience in model construction of any type it goes a long way in navigating foreign language kits.

Challenging project - but you are not alone :cool:
here are a lot of experienced modelers ready for assistance and help if necessary and requested.
Very good, that you have started the building log...... We will follow with big interest

Perhaps someone can help me. The stern piece is not lining up. Up to the gap the main keel is slightly off the straight line slightly. Should I fill this in or attempt to sand the whole keel down.20191211_130156_HDR.jpg8

As long as the pieces are even at the bottom just glue it together and don't work about it. That entire seam will be covered by planking and the copper strip pieces. It just needs to be close.

If understand correctly as long as the bottom of keel is flush to the straight edge (all 4 sections) it's ok.
It was difficult to hold the keel, stern piece against the straight edge and focus my phone. Probably would help if I had 3 arms. Lol

Hi John,
You are off to a good start.
I have editted your pictures to full scale better for viewing. You can do this by pressing the button full image when inserting them.
I downloaded Donnie's YouTube videos on using SOS. I haven't been able to view them yet. Until I do, which button is the full image? I am using my phone to capture images. Usually use photoshop to resize images. Sorry, new to all this. Will work harder to get it right.

Just my thoughts, but the keel could have been cut as one piece. It would have fitted in the box easily and saved Mamoli some money.

Need help again. Bought Model Expo's FAIR-A-JIG Building Jig for aligning the bulkhead. The written instructions call for two parallel lines each 1-5/16" from a center line; however figure one shows the distance of the two lines being 1-3/8". If anyone has assembled this jig does it make a difference? I have glued them at 1-3/8". If it is critical that it be 1-5/16" then I will have to add 1/16" strip to both rails. I sent a request to Model Expo for clarification.

To the gentleman who sent me drawings. THANK YOU.
I can not find your post. I received the drawings and would like to reimburse you for your time and the postage.

12-14-2019 - placing bulkheads. Looks good so far except frame 18 which had a cracked tip. Used glue to fix.
Hey John,
Welcome and pleased to see we are both working similar builds. You can find my build log under ‘From scratch or plans. I can also send you digital plans is the Connie if you are interested.
Regards. Dan H

I take and make duplicates of all my plans at office max, staples, kinko's, etc... they only charge a couple. bucks per sheet. I make duplicates because they all seem to eventually get buggered up. Plus, I keep all my plans

Back