USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

John, I feel like we let you down. Did you figure it out?
Anyhow, Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too. Yes, if my mind was working I should have looked at the smaller blueprints where it shows how the part goes. As you know I am totally new to this ( plus, this model is poorly cut. You didn't let me down, I let myself down. Hope everyone is having a great day.

I like your cardboard reinforcement. I just cut up a business card and made little "stitches". Once the deck was all put together, I marked a perfect line through the mast holes and measured the shape of the deck. I tried my best to get the centerline to line up with the keel and then make the frames square and even. Nothing came out perfect, but I distributed all the flaws as evenly as possible. If you don't have digital calipers, harbor freight has some for $10 that measure to the hundredth of an inch or tenth of a millimeter. More than good enough to uncover all the warts so you can sand off the high spots. The result was a balanced construction that looks good to the eye. Measure everything and make it as good as you can. Then put the measuring tools away and admire the results :) Merry Christmas!

I like your cardboard reinforcement. I just cut up a business card and made little "stitches". Once the deck was all put together, I marked a perfect line through the mast holes and measured the shape of the deck. I tried my best to get the centerline to line up with the keel and then make the frames square and even. Nothing came out perfect, but I distributed all the flaws as evenly as possible. If you don't have digital calipers, harbor freight has some for $10 that measure to the hundredth of an inch or tenth of a millimeter. More than good enough to uncover all the warts so you can sand off the high spots. The result was a balanced construction that looks good to the eye. Measure everything and make it as good as you can. Then put the measuring tools away and admire the results :) Merry Christmas!
Sounds great. I hope mine is aligned, but if is not - well it is my first build. If I live long enough I hope to do the HMS Victory. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sounds great. I hope mine is aligned, but if is not - well it is my first build. If I live long enough I hope to do the HMS Victory. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Question: is part 32 (fore platform) suppose to be level with the false deck or at a slight angle? I can not get parts 33, 34 ( forward parts for the planking) the ends of part 32 are supposed to be flush against the keep part, but mine lack about 3/16" and 1/8". I plan to add small pieces of wood to get 32 flush. Also, small pieces to give support to part 32.

Hi John, I am not familiar with this specific model but do you have a picture of the drawing for this part? Then we should be able to figure it out.

I think part 32 should be higher in the back, like lined up with the bottom of the ears on part one, to allow the planking to go under the ears, but I"m not at home. I'll look at the plans when I get home and verify it.

Added extension to part 34 which is used to form the planking at the stem. There are actually 4 parts (33 two, 34 two). All will have to have extensions in order to meet the keel. It is necessary because of the poor part cutting.20191226_100144.jpg
I think part 32 should be higher in the back, like lined up with the bottom of the ears on part one, to allow the planking to go under the ears, but I"m not at home. I'll look at the plans when I get home and verify it.
Thank you. I was about to glue it until I saw your post.

Added extension to part 34 which is used to form the planking at the stem. There are actually 4 parts (33 two, 34 two). All will have to have extensions in order to meet the keel. It is necessary because of the poor part cutting.View attachment 125367

Added extension to part 34 which is used to form the planking at the stem. There are actually 4 parts (33 two, 34 two). All will have to have extensions in order to meet the keel. It is necessary because of the poor part cutting.View attachment 125367

This is the what the drawing shows. It looks like false deck goes below part 32.20191226_181023.jpg20191226_180613.jpg

Back