USS Constitution - very old Mamoli kit - by first time builder - build log

It looks like part 32 is slightly below frame one.
Part 28 is supposed to go under part 32, by mine doesn't. I need to figure out how to pull it down. There is nothing I can glue it to in order to get it under. I will keep working to figure out something. This whole project is both fun and frustrating.

Part 28 on your model is in the correct location. Part 32 has to be moved above part 28. You can see the ears on part 1 just above part 28 in the photo you posted above. Part 32 should be glued above those ears where it attaches to part 1.

Just above the false deck in this photo you can see the shadow on part 1 of what I am calling the ears. The bottom of part 32 should basically match the location of the top of part 28 in this photo. Not the other way around. Hopefully that makes sense.

1577411187330.png

Last edited:
Jimsky have you installed metal canon ports? Did you have to break a tab off to get it attached to frame 12?

My kit contains 1700 green pieces of wood that are to be add to simulate copper plates. After gluing each of these then I have to paint each copper. In another Group someone mentioned that there was a copper tape that could be substituted for the 1700 green plates. Unfortunately, I did not get the ordering information. Is anyone familiar with any possible substitute for the 1700 pieces.

My kit contains 1700 green pieces of wood that are to be add to simulate copper plates. After gluing each of these then I have to paint each copper. In another Group someone mentioned that there was a copper tape that could be substituted for the 1700 green plates. Unfortunately, I did not get the ordering information. Is anyone familiar with any possible substitute for the 1700 pieces.
Take a look at this very good tutorial, maybe this is an alternative solution for you

Attachments

• hull_coppering.pdf
    418.5 KB · Views: 17
John,

I think you need to make a change before it's too late. Took me a while but just figured out a way to add arrows etc to a photo is why I didn't do this earlier.

You need to make an adjustment to part 32. If you look at the green arrows below part 32 needs to be adjusted to where the green solid box is on part 1. The planking goes under the green solid box where the blue arrow is. Also I'm guessing part 32 will lay flat or very close to flat the stem where the red arrow is. This will put part 32 above part 28 like I was trying to explain in post #64.

TryAgainl-X2.jpg

Last edited:
John,

I think you need to make a change before it's too late. Took me a while but just figured out a way to add arrows etc to a photo is why I didn't do this earlier.

You need to make an adjustment to part 32. If you look at the green arrows below part 32 needs to be adjusted to where the green solid box is on part 1. The planking goes under the green solid box where the blue arrow is. Also I'm guessing part 32 will lay flat or very close to flat the stem where the red arrow is. This will put part 32 above part 28 like I was trying to explain in post #64.

TryAgainl-X2.jpg
Thank you. I am in the process of un-gluing part 32.

Here are some photos of the metal gun ports. Notice the the first two and last two on both sides are almost parallel to the desk. The others have a slanted configuration, but the bottom is roughly parallel to the deck. I hope this is correct. I have loosened parts 32, 33, 34. I will now try to re-install so that part 32 is above the false deck. I appreciate the help I have received.20200104_212352.jpg20200104_212419_HDR.jpg20200104_212433_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20200104_212352.jpg
    20200104_212352.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 6
Back