USS Enterprise

Hi Jodie,
Fantastic advise. Detailed explanation really helps.

Donnie

I have just joined this site in the hope of improving my modeling skills so my first buid is the tamiya enterprise can anyone point me in the right direction for a build on site hope i posted in the right place as I see that this thread is old well heres hoping
regards Keith

Changed my mind ---- I am thinking about the Enterprise for next build, but I don’t think I have the confidence and experience to be able to handle this. I would love to try it, but I am sure I would need help. I also would add the PE kits that go along w it. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

The problem is that finding the correct paints. I am completely lost when it comes to military colors (yes, I know it is gray -- but a lot of shades of gray )

Donnie

Maybe this one?Screenshot_20210807-151550_Chrome.jpg

Which Enterprise, the World War II Enterprise CV-6 or the modern nuclear Enterprise, CVN - 65? If you are building the World War II Enterprise you will need to tell me which year as she had several different camo schemes between 1940 and 1945.

Sorry for the delay I will be building CV65 already got a bit of after market photo etch for the elevators some xtra aircraft just waiting for the hanger deck from L/ARSENAL

OK, for CVN 65, let's try these. For the ship itself, neutral gray FS 36270 will work. For all decks except the flight deck, FS 36118, dark gray will work. The flight deck is very close to FS 36118 but a shade darker at FS 35076. Try this site to view the colors and order the colors if you desire https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/c/US+Navy/1262/1/#.YRZhD4hKiUk. The White Ensign paints are enamels but I am sure you can find the same FS colors in acrylics if desired.

I served aboard CVAN-65 from 72 to 75. Aviation Boatswains Mate Equipment 3. (Catapults and Arresting Gear) the guys in the green jerseys. I still remember my Top Side Safety PO almost getting sucked into an A-6 one night.

We went into dry dock in Bremerton Wa. in 73 I think it was, maybe 74, pretty impressive seeing her out of the water.

They sandblasted the hull and I remember there were 3 or 4 huge circles running down both sides of the hull below the waterline. I was told they were the blow out plates for the scuttle charges, but some said they were sonar receivers. Doesn't seem like it would be a very good idea to sandblast sonar receivers though.

We loaded the crews cars and dependents onboard for the trip up the coast from Alameda to Bremerton. We hit a really big storm a day or so in, took water over the bow a few times. Lots of sick civilians on that trip.

They shut down the reactors to change fuel rods. That was a cold winter.

They put in bigger jet blast deflectors and this huge avionics facility in the hanger deck because we were the first carrier on the west coast to get the F-14. That was a cool plane. As a test, we launched one in a crosswind, the only time I saw an F-14 go off under afterburners. The old F-4 was still a lot more fun to hook up and launch though, especially at night.

Good times.

I still have my Shellback Certificate from when I crossed the equator on "The Big E".

I'm sure I could Photoshop your name in the space where I blacked my name out. Would this be of interest on your project?

IMG_3018.JPG

Both carriers had active and cherished careers but look where they are now, shame at what it costs to keep one as museum unless in a super big city.

OK, the Tamiya 1/350 CVN 65 it is. Some choices:

Paint and colors.

I like Testors ModelMasters because you can usually find it anywhere so those are the colors I will reference. These are enamels and I will give you some acrylic choices at the end. The official hull and island colors are stated to be FS 26270 Neutral gray. Most sources state this is a bit dark and I agree so I mix one part white to two parts 26270 (btw, 26270 is a semi gloss. You will not find it. Use 36270 which is flat. Same color; different reflectance). For the flight deck a lot of people use FS 36081, Engine Prep Gray. A darker gray to give that "right out of the yard look." Some have tried FS 36183, Gunship gray for the flight deck and horizontal surfaces but I think this is too light for the flight deck. You can try a few mixes as a weathered flight deck does get lighter and "muddier" over time. For the other horizontal steel decals, Gunship Gray works fine. For the red portion of the hull below the waterline I like old Testors square bottle dark red, # 1104. Not as bright or vibrant as their 1103 red. Once again you can experiment as below the waterline red is generally a maroon/crimson / burgundy color of red.. Your choice. Flight deck insignias, markings etc are combinations of yellow, white, orange and red, depending on the marking. I do not know if Tamiya supplies flight deck marking decals so if you have to paint these are the colors. Conversely, an outfit known as Starfighter Decals provides a decal sheet for the flight deck. It is a bit expensive at $35 but worth it as he makes good stuff. Visit his site as he has lots of stuff. I will not comment on aircraft colors as I hate doing aircraft and best to follow the kit instructions, espec if they reference FS numbers.

I am not an acrylic guys, but here are some suggestions as to vendors; Vallejo, Life Color and a new firm called Tru Color as acrylic examples. There may be others.

Photo etch.

Three suppliers produce excellent sets: Gold Medal Models, Tom's Model Works and White Ensign Models. A side note, White Ensign Models went out of business several years ago but Tom's Model works has picked up their line. Tom has maintained the original White Ensign Models website so go there.. I would look at what is offered, decide what you plan to do and choose accordingly. No doubt some sets are more inclusive than others but then again you do not want to spend money on parts you will nor end up using.

Websites

Both Steelnavy.com and Modelwarships.com have galleries and featured articles involving the build of CVN 65 so you may want to visit these sites if you are not already familiar with them.

Hopefully this will get you up and running.

Scott.
Hallo @sgs351
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back