Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Gentlemen, thank you for sharing your experiences with your own builds. I am satisfied knowing that I am not the only one who struggles with these sorts of decisions. The line I have used is quite thin - but not as thin as my ratlines (one size larger) so that is something worthy of trial. I am committed to the current size on the large sails - but I will switch to a smaller line for the topgallants, and we can see how it goes.

Oh, one more thing, I will be adding some (simplified) gaskets as well so that will also be adding to the overall appearance. Right now, I'm thinking a staple with a single ring. The problem, again, is making this look good at 1:64. Perhaps 5 or 6 per side on the main course? Fewer on the others?

It will look good, You could try making it in full construction - ring bolt + ring+ coiled gasket... in 1:64 , it could be done with no more than second try:)))!
Idea to add gaskets - very good! Like it...
Pay some attention for proportions of elements, when will making them...
ring bolt should be hard visible, ring quite bigger in size, than it will work good visualy...when ring bolt made too big in proportion to ring, common appearence of the unit, not so nice... visualy...
Could advise to use small drills of different diam and soft wire of proper thickness for fabricating spring, wrapingvaround drill... than made spring could be cutted in rings by nail cutters, each loop just need to be cutted one by one...it is quite a fast procedure, when making...
Ring bolts could be made with using small drill again, wraping wire around drill and squise it by long noise pleers, thus will have ring with two legs,than need to cutt off one leg and You will have ring bolt...
Rings and ring bolts could be blackened after production...

Last edited:
As I understood, most probably, many gaskets fitted on the main yards were used for main sails...
for the top sails, due to nature of their furlung, they used two ,
Fitted one per each side ofcthe yard, they were made from long rope...consider that main body of the top sails furled and secured partualy verticaly - see picture of Kalmar Nykel replica below...
and non were used for the top gallants...but here Im not sure...
there is good descriptoin of all this arrangements given in the book " Seamenship in the age of sail..."

Last edited:
For the gaskets - it looks like, there need to be installed one long bracket but not conventional ring bolt of round shape!!! , and two rings , for two gaskets / fwrd and aft side of the yard.... good pictures you could find in Wasa book( Mondfeld) or in Ab Hovin's pinace and flute drawings...

Studing foto I ve found some interesting things ,
when I attached my sails to the yards, I fitted them too tight... and now, surching ex8sting foto of replicas, Kalmar Nykel, Batavia...I think I did it wrong, sails shouldn't be fitted tight on the yard... looks like some small gap remains...
at least, sail fitted under yard , need to be placed along the middle line of the yard, and seized to the yard not very tightly, I could say, with some grade of loose...
And yards need to be positioned well below the mars, where I did mistake as well... I positioned yards on my model too close to the mars...and now I see that it looks wrong :(((

4e6cfc07b2aeda10cfb4094ec9fcdf27.jpg

Back to the question, how many robands/plate to show on the model ?! :)))
- answer - as many as you want! :)))
Ps
If seriously, as I know, rigging of this model was under big modern restoration , can't say it is original anymore and how far historically correctly it was done? - there is more information about this model could be found in german forum https://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/f766-Recherche.html
f1112t6795p147653n3_qgyiJZAp.jpg

f1112t6795p147653n14_ghirHbJN.jpg

Last edited:
You use a different style of robands than I have used. Very neat!
Hi Vic. Thanks for visiting. I have mostly seen 'running' robands on other ships, but I think what I did is defendable from both Anderson and Mondfeld. A vote against me comes from the Vasamuseet where the 1:10 was done with single robands. Whole thing is a guessing game for me.

For the record, what I am doing takes a really long time so I'm not necessarily endorsing it... Indeed, I have spent the past month questioning my decision to do sails. A LOT of work without even knowing if I can display them convincingly. But I am learning along the way so that's fun too.

Hi Vic. Thanks for visiting. I have mostly seen 'running' robands on other ships, but I think what I did is defendable from both Anderson and Mondfeld. A vote against me comes from the Vasamuseet where the 1:10 was done with single robands. Whole thing is a guessing game for me.

For the record, what I am doing takes a really long time so I'm not necessarily endorsing it... Indeed, I have spent the past month questioning my decision to do sails. A LOT of work without even knowing if I can display them convincingly. But I am learning along the way so that's fun too.
You’re on the right track Paul. Individual robands, and lots of them, were typical for the 1620’s,

Hello @dockattner great job on the robands. I have a quick question, what is the type of knot that you used? Is it like illustrated below?

View attachment 315430
Yes, Captain Sparrow. I have been calling them reef knots (but they're just square knots). They're a bit fiddly at first but you get good at them over time (like everything on these ships).

1656112101684.png

Back