Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Even the most revered, original dockyard models have flaws snd notable compromises to whatever was most expedient. I submit the relatively large scale model of the Royal James from the Kriegstein collection:

902084C8-B9AA-48FB-8F87-D2D36DB5015C.jpeg

The frieze is only approximately painted-on, in a manner that suggests the foliate motifs the day. The sides of the ship, between wales, are not planked, but sheathed.

These may be considered “flaws,” yet they magically dissipate into the ether, when the model is considered in its entirety. The overall sense of the thing is so magnificent that it hardly matters, if every detail is not perfectly rendered.

Consider, now, that the work you are doing is much more on par with this outstanding model of the Sophia Amalia:
0C15FFB6-BA38-450A-89F8-BFE768DF7673.jpeg

The particular OCD of ship modelers is always at odds with perceptible reality. Don’t sweat it - you are well on your way!

If You have some doubt, You could try other kind of paints... what people working with for painting miniatures figures - tempera paints?
Probably they have better covering characteristics...?

But I agree with all what Marc said , and for me personaly, I didn't see something catcheye wrongs in your paintings...
all looks very accurately and done on good Level!
But from other side , also need to be demand to yourself when you feel you could do it a little bit better...I think it s normal ...at least should give a try... :)

Last edited:
You could try other kind of paints... what people working with for painting miniatures figures - tempera paints?
Probably they have better covering characteristics...?
Thank you for your continuing interest in my project Kirill. As I understand it painters of miniatures generally use acrylics - but they also work at a much larger scale than we do in model ship-building. Or maybe I misunderstood the tutorials I looked at during my research.

In their defense, acrylics are easy to work with, easy to mix, easy to clean, fast to dry - all good reasons to select them.

Maybe for my next project I'll try something else (or better yet - find a nice wood model with no adornments on it!!!).

Paul, I really do not think that you have to worry for one about your painting. Sometimes we (I include myself 100%) really build with an unrealistic mindset. We seem to view our models as objects of perfection and strive so hard to achieve that perfection in our endeavours to build "historically accurate" models. And yet - in the "historical accuracy" part of the equation, lies the problem. The truth is that they were built to a budget, often with the aim of undercutting that budget, and viewed very much as disposable items. On the real ships, painters were by no means "artists" as the very size of the ship did not require that. At best, they could be called artisans (an that only for lack of a better word). In reality, you are doing a far more precise job than any of those painters did - so do not fret.

Paul, I really do not think that you have to worry for one about your painting. Sometimes we (I include myself 100%) really build with an unrealistic mindset. We seem to view our models as objects of perfection and strive so hard to achieve that perfection in our endeavours to build "historically accurate" models. And yet - in the "historical accuracy" part of the equation, lies the problem. The truth is that they were built to a budget, often with the aim of undercutting that budget, and viewed very much as disposable items. On the real ships, painters were by no means "artists" as the very size of the ship did not require that. At best, they could be called artisans (an that only for lack of a better word). In reality, you are doing a far more precise job than any of those painters did - so do not fret.
Your point is well taken Heinrich. Indeed, there is evidence that in the case of the Vasa it was the men doing the carving who were also doing the painting (a shipyard painter filed a formal complaint against the Vasa sculptors). With that said, the reconstruction of some of the carvings at the Vasamuseet shows some pretty nice work...

1627429936597.jpeg

Your point is well taken Heinrich. Indeed, there is evidence that in the case of the Vasa it was the men doing the carving who were also doing the painting (a shipyard painter filed a formal complaint against the Vasa sculptors). With that said, the reconstruction of some of the carvings at the Vasamuseet shows some pretty nice work...

View attachment 246456

Hi Paul

The diferences is that you are doing an austanding job with very ...very...very small sculptures. Those are big. The size that fit a gigantic ship. I few years back I attended a Scientific meeting at Stockholm. And had the magnificent opportunity to spend an afternoon at the museum. Unfortunately I lost all my digital pictures, that's why I kept silent.

Your painting job is really outstanding.

Best !!!
Daniel

Hi Paul

The diferences is that you are doing an austanding job with very ...very...very small sculptures. Those are big. The size that fit a gigantic ship. I few years back I attended a Scientific meeting at Stockholm. And had the magnificent opportunity to spend an afternoon at the museum. Unfortunately I lost all my digital pictures, that's why I kept silent.

Your painting job is really outstanding.

Best !!!
Daniel
Thank you Daniel. Given the wonderful job you are doing on your build(s) your comments are very encouraging. Of course you are correct - scale modeling demands a lot of us. I dream of traveling to the museum. Perhaps I will one day persuade my bride that this is something we should do... It would be a true boondoggle - but I have made worse decisions in my life!!!

Last edited:
Hello Friends,

Modeling time has been rare of late - and the prospects for more are not good in the short term. I have been reluctant to take on any significant portions of the build so I have been gluing on decorative bits when I have an hour to spare here and there.

The galleries are now nearly complete and I have partially decorated the stern - I need to paint more stuff before it can proceed any further.

The following photo essay documents the current state of things...

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6966.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6969.JPG

IMG_6970.JPG

I had an interesting experience with my ship model last night. A professional colleague stopped by for a visit and he noticed my ship sitting on my work table. I fully expected him to focus in on all the colored decorations (full disclosure: I expected him to ooh and ahh and fawn over the micro-painting). Instead, he ignored all that and gave his attention to the hull, decking, and bulwark details. I thought about that for a while and when I sat back and looked at the ship from across the room I realized that the decorations actually take up only a small portion of the ship:

IMG_6972 (2).JPG

By the time I add masts and yards and rigging the decorative parts will fade even more into the background.

I'm actually quite happy with this - I was starting to be concerned that this ship was going to end up looking like a clown ship or a caricature of what should be a grand and royal warship. I have now been relieved of that concern.

Thanks for stopping by. I have been watching your work with admiration. You are a talented bunch!

Hello Friends,

Modeling time has been rare of late - and the prospects for more are not good in the short term. I have been reluctant to take on any significant portions of the build so I have been gluing on decorative bits when I have an hour to spare here and there.

The galleries are now nearly complete and I have partially decorated the stern - I need to paint more stuff before it can proceed any further.

The following photo essay documents the current state of things...

View attachment 248188

View attachment 248189

View attachment 248190

View attachment 248191

View attachment 248193

View attachment 248194

I had an interesting experience with my ship model last night. A professional colleague stopped by for a visit and he noticed my ship sitting on my work table. I fully expected him to focus in on all the colored decorations (full disclosure: I expected him to ooh and ahh and fawn over the micro-painting). Instead, he ignored all that and gave his attention to the hull, decking, and bulwark details. I thought about that for a while and when I sat back and looked at the ship from across the room I realized that the decorations actually take up only a small portion of the ship:

View attachment 248195

By the time I add masts and yards and rigging the decorative parts will fade even more into the background.

I'm actually quite happy with this - I was starting to be concerned that this ship was going to end up looking like a clown ship or a caricature of what should be a grand and royal warship. I have now been relieved of that concern.

Thanks for stopping by. I have been watching your work with admiration. You are a talented bunch!
Thanks for the time you do have for sharing. It's a blessing to my sore eyes.

When viewed with magnifiers the work still looks great, but as you have stated, they are a small part of a large ship.

When you ask if they are correct, you almost have to specify a date in time for that question.

How many have full color photos of original decorations and ornaments from ships centuries in the past.

Its like I have learned when rigging a specific ship, say the USS Constitution, the rigging varied everytime a new Captain took command, or after a major refit in dry dock.

I love the very fine attention to detail you have put in, keep it up with other parts as you move to armament and masts and rigging.

Lets hope it doesn't drive you nuts!

Kurt

Thanks, everyone, for your kind assessment of my work - it is much appreciated. Of course, there is very little here that is new - just an exercise in fitting and gluing. I did run into a few problem areas - some of the castings were distorted and pot metal is difficult to reshape (especially after it has been painted!). I also had to grind a number of the pieces to improve the fit.

Marc - you are mostly correct; I'm simply not done with that area yet. But I do have a problem. Ten months ago (when I was building the stern) things weren't fitting very well (there was a vertical asymmetry) but I failed to fully correct it. At that time my goals for this build were quite different than they are today and frankly I didn't think it would matter all that much. WRONG! Anyway, the stern castle is too short by about 1.5 mm.

The net result is that there should be a wide piece of trim separating the lions & crest from the 'masks' and I have run out of room.

I am contemplating several solutions but the leader in the clubhouse is moving the lions. This will require some metal grinding to put them in a different spot but appears to be the most expedient solution (assuming I can get them off with the taffrail left intact). For the record I did consider a Viking funeral...

Once that is sorted then I will figure out what to do with the area below the trim. On the museum ship those framed areas are open but on the 1:10 model they are closed. I also need to create round openings lower down.

She's a work in progress (all the time)...

gIMG_6287.jpg Stockholm-180323_8864.jpg

Thanks Vic,

In one of my photos it does look like there is room - but in reality there is not. The lion is literally in contact with the mask.
Looks great Paul!
If it were me, I would take a small liberty …and remove what looks like a thumb protruding from the top of the lions lower paw. If you grind those off you, and make the paw thinner…you will have room to move the lions up and add the piece between the lions and masks. It may have to be thinner than actual, but is doable!
So lift the lower paw up to touch the shield, after making it thinner. Then rotate the lion, so upper paw touches the crown. Both of these things will give you more room at the bottom, as there is plenty of room above their heads, and should not be. Hope that makes sense. One last thing…when rotating the lions, that should make the lower tail horizontal (it is not now). In addition, you can grind a little off the bottom of the lion where it sits on the horizontal board. Remember these little adjustments will never be noticed. What will be noticed is how it all fits together. And I also realize the length of the curtains may hinder the horizontal board placement above the masks. Unless you carved the end of the horizontal board to merge into the curtains? I know this would not be exact, but would help unless you are willing to shorten the curtains some? Just throwing out ideas…

Last edited:
Back