VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a few advancements here to comment on. Was able to finish port side gallery carvings which (save for the lantern) completes the stern decorations, for me a milestone in itself.

IMG_1403.jpgIMG_1408.jpg

I managed to install all the deck bollards. The midship bollards required me to build a drill template where the drill angle becomes critical for insertion through the rail element.

IMG_1372.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1417.jpg

I also began erecting the skeleton for the beakhead which included setting the hawsepipe hole. I'm having to improvise the vertical position of the assembly because of an error I made early on placing the bow section bulwark too high by about 8mm. I'm dead reckoning in a stormy ocean here so hopefully I can make it look ok.

IMG_1416.jpgIMG_1418.jpgIMG_1419.jpgIMG_1420.jpg

I sure thank you all for stopping by and as always Happy Modeling!

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a few advancements here to comment on. Was able to finish port side gallery carvings which (save for the lantern) completes the stern decorations, for me a milestone in itself.

View attachment 269869View attachment 269870

I managed to install all the deck bollards. The midship bollards required me to build a drill template where the drill angle becomes critical for insertion through the rail element.

View attachment 269871View attachment 269872View attachment 269873

I also began erecting the skeleton for the beakhead which included setting the hawsepipe hole. I'm having to improvise the vertical position of the assembly because of an error I made early on placing the bow section bulwark too high by about 8mm. I'm dead reckoning in a stormy ocean here so hopefully I can make it look ok.

View attachment 269881View attachment 269882View attachment 269883View attachment 269884

I sure thank you all for stopping by and as always Happy Modeling!
Looking great! Nice progress Daniel! The bow looks time consuming! ;)

You are making excellent progress Daniel. I have to reiterate how much I like the authentic "wooden"-look of the model.

You are making excellent progress Daniel. I have to reiterate how much I like the authentic "wooden"-look of the model.
Thank you Heinrich. I've found some modelers on this forum who use no or very little paint but different types of wood for contrasting. I've become very curious about that style, if done right can be breathtakingly beautiful.

For sure Daniel. That is high-class model building. On my future build of the Willem Barentsz, I intend to use no paint - sans for a little red door in the stern and the emblem of the Admiralty of Amsterdam.

Well @Kurt Konrath , @GAStan if we ever get together and go bear hunting in a mine field I know what you two are going to try and do! I'll have my trusty 30.06 which I know a bear can't outrun and the mine field, well that's just too much pressure, how could you ever hold your rifle steady enough?ROTF

Daniel,

Very nice update - Gold gilding looks great - beakshead custom work is excellent indeed. All looking very good!!

Cheers,

Back