Vintage Models

I’m building a wooden model of the Connie that was produced by Scientific Models and sold at the USS Constitution Museum in 1984. It’s got a solid hull, but it presents its own challenges since you have to cut everything out by hand—no laser cuts. Does anyone else have some old vintage kits? Donnie thought it might be fun to start a thread on it.
image.jpg

I once began to build the Golden Hind by the Czech manufacturer Igra. I bought it in 1983. The hull had to be built in bread and butter system and all wooden parts had to be cut from the printed plywood. Blocks, guns, carriages etc. were plastic parts.

Z Igra Golden Hind 2 (2).jpg Z Igra Golden Hind.jpg

The hull was not intended to be planked, so I added the planking (thin strips of wood) myself. The model remained unfinished, but for nostalgic reasons I have kept the model all these years. In 2015 I bought the same kit again on ebay ;).

06.jpg01.jpgModell 3.jpg

Another boat in the dockyard is the “handsome museum quality” Robert E. Lee by Scientific Models.
View attachment 363124
It’s another solid hull model. The copyright shows a 1972 design.
View attachment 363128
Hi Vic. Nice to see you have the Robert E. Lee on your dockyard. As I can see it is the original (I), like the drawings of Alan Bates.
Loved to see you upcoming build.
Regards, Peter

I have a couple old kits, let me get photos and I will post them.

One is an old Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser, parts printed in ink on wooden planks, all DIY for cutting out.

I have a couple old kits, let me get photos and I will post them.

One is an old Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser, parts printed in ink on wooden planks, all DIY for cutting out.
Cool. Cutting them out with that old wood can be a challenge! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got.
Hi Vic. Nice to see you have the Robert E. Lee on your dockyard. As I can see it is the original (I), like the drawings of Alan Bates.
Loved to see you upcoming build.
Regards, Peter
Peter, it will be a couple of months before I get to it. And when I do, it won’t compare to your wonderful model!

Another boat in the dockyard is the “handsome museum quality” Robert E. Lee by Scientific Models.
View attachment 363124
It’s another solid hull model. The copyright shows a 1972 design.
View attachment 363128
Good Morning Vic. When does a ship kit become Vintage. I have a MX bike from 1980 which is considered Vintage. My Victory Sergal plans are copy written 1973, while the kit it looks like it was produced in 1994. Maybe Grants Victory is Vintage ;) . Cheers Grant

I used to live around the corner from the original Model Shipways shop in Bogota, NJ. So I have an affinity to their solid hull models. I’ve built their Young America, America, Benjamin Latham, Newsboy, Whaleboat, and Flying Fish. Some of those more than once for customers and gifts. I still have kits of the original Rattlesnake, Mayflower, Newsboy and Benjamin Latham. I also started a model of Hanna using plans by Hahn. My wife wanted some small models to fit on some shelves so I purchased Model Expos three model set of the dory, Pram and smack. I’ve completed the dory and pram, but because I’m missing a sheet of parts the hull is on hold. I’m waiting for the replacement. I’ll post some pictures when I learn how to attach them.

I collected 6 Scientific Kits with great hopes - Sea Witch, the smaller USS Constitution, Charles W. Morgan, Cutty Sark, Sovereign of the Seas and Flying Cloud. Of these I only built Flying Cloud, which I' already posted here somewhere. It's very small, only about 14", 1/24" = 1' and my work with a clipper was not all it could have been, but I've enjoyed the result. I posted this somewhere here before.

IMG_5096.JPG

I have a vintage MS Newsboy (solid hull) in 1/8” scale. If I’m good enough to make a nice job of it it’ll make a very good looking model. It carried a lofty rig and was fast and clipper fashioned. Used partly in the fruit trade where fast passages were required.

Back