Vintage Models

Pictures from the showcase of Peter Gutterman's aforementioned John W. Cannon and Young America from Showcase #12. The same showcase where my first build is located. (But not as well done as his.)
john-w-cannon05.jpg

young-america04.jpg

Alex, How did you do the hull planking above the water line? they look scribed. If so, what a demanding and unforgiving task! Really nice job. Flying Cloud has been a favorite of mine since I read about it and saw pictures of it as a kid. Made me fall in love with Clipper ships and ship models. I saw one when I was maybe four years old in the study of a family friend near the shore in Ellisville MA. I can see it in my mind like a photograph. I was hooked right then and there!
Victor, I just saw the pictures you added. Thanks ! I'm still learning to navigate this digital universe. I'm an old analog guy in a digital world.
Don't sell your work short! I'm duly impressed.
I hope I got everybody sorted. If not, you all deserve accolades!

Last edited:
Alex, How did you do the hull planking above the water line? they look scribed. If so, what a demanding and unforgiving task! Really nice job. Flying Cloud has been a favorite of mine since I read about it and saw pictures of it as a kid. Made me fall in love with Clipper ships and ship models. I saw one when I was maybe four years old in the study of a family friend near the shore in Ellisville MA. I can see it in my mind like a photograph. I was hooked right then and there!
Victor, I just saw the pictures you added. Thanks ! I'm still learning to navigate this digital universe. I'm an old analog guy in a digital world.
Don't sell your work short! I'm duly impressed.
I hope I got everybody sorted. If not, you all deserve accolades
Peter, I just went to the showcase and copied the pictures. Then I came back here and pasted them. I’m sure there are better ways.

The hull of Young America always looks lovely. I'm sorry I never got around to trying her.
The hull planking is simulated by giving the hull a number of coats of acrylic gesso, allowing them plenty of time to dry and sanding them well. The plank seams are scribed into the gesso with the point of a common pin held in a pin vise. It takes patience, but if you make mistake, you can simply gesso over the faulty area and try again. This is another idea I got from Erik Ronnberg.
Finding a picture where the planking effect shows wasn't easy. This may be the best I have. I also happened to find a picture of the box it came in.
Sadly. all I used from the kit was the hull, pedestals and base. At first I thought I could make something of the other materials and fittings, but when time came to use them, I'd think, "Maybe I can do better than this".

DSCF2345.JPG

Scientific Kit.jpg

Ok got some photos of wood parts and plans for the Dumas 21’ Criss Craft Express boat

Several sheets of wood with printed parts to be hand cut. Another patch of thin sheets for skin and some square stock for stringers in frames.

two pages of text instructions and a large plan sheet with assembly info and how to mount motor for RC model if desired

I had plan sheet copied which is why there are several sections as I moved big sheet to get it all copies

Should make a good build when time comes.

I have been thinking of getting a CNC cutter so I can program it to cut out the parts maybe.

Kurt K
The other Kurt!
46187C0B-5941-4F79-B304-2292D3A406F9.jpegBD4D1371-2C65-4545-ADC3-4685DA3793A1.jpegDCFEE4F1-3C80-4454-BB8D-0248C9A2434F.jpeg0B40CF5F-8FC4-4FC7-9070-137B420E55AF.jpeg106A490C-DE1D-4D58-9541-365B03582CF6.jpegD62E756E-768B-4862-AEC0-25C84FE387B0.jpeg6B0A06F9-EB47-4F47-9A67-0CE85108891D.jpeg4C94BBAE-4448-4467-B8AF-8CAF47199A4C.jpeg

Ok got some photos of wood parts and plans for the Dumas 21’ Criss Craft Express boat

Several sheets of wood with printed parts to be hand cut. Another patch of thin sheets for skin and some square stock for stringers in frames.

two pages of text instructions and a large plan sheet with assembly info and how to mount motor for RC model if desired

I had plan sheet copied which is why there are several sections as I moved big sheet to get it all copies

I have been thinking of getting a CNC cutter so I can program it to cut out the parts maybe.

Kurt K
The other Kurt!
View attachment 364308View attachment 364309View attachment 364310View attachment 364311View attachment 364312View attachment 364313View attachment 364314View attachment 364315
Seems like a fun build.

Kurt, you could possibly make some interesting substitutions with Mahogany veneer strips and sheet of the same thickness as supplied in the kit.
I believe Model Expo is one resource. I will look in my old catalog stash for others and let you know.
Bob Morgan Woodworking Supplies, Inc. Box35 Westport KY 40077 (502)265-0954
http://www.morganwood.com
If you call you get Bob himself on the phone (provided he's still alive). Good for everything veneer.

Last edited:

Kurt K
The other Kurt!
View attachment 364308View attachment 364309View attachment 364310View attachment 364311View attachment 364312View attachment 364313View attachment 364314View attachment 364315
The other Kurt? You don't have to be so kurt about it!

The copper plates were made by painting a piece of light weight paper with acrylic Iridescent Copper mixed unevenly with acrylic Green Oxide. Using a paper cutter I cut the painted paper into strips a little longer than the length of a single plate. Then these strips were glued together, with Elmer's, with a slight overlap. When dry, the sheet of glued up strips was turned 90 degrees and cut on the paper cutter into strips the height of a copper plate. These strips were then applied to the hull, again with Elmer's, in belts. In spite of using light weight paper, the final "plates" are still a little heavy for the scale (1/24" = 1' or 1/288) I learned this from Erik Ronnberg, who used this technique for applying copper plates on larger scale models, using actual copper foil and an appropriate adhesive.

View attachment 364001

View attachment 364002

View attachment 364003
If you hadn't told me how you made the plates... I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't metal. Excellent quality and look.

The hull of Young America always looks lovely. I'm sorry I never got around to trying her.
The hull planking is simulated by giving the hull a number of coats of acrylic gesso, allowing them plenty of time to dry and sanding them well. The plank seams are scribed into the gesso with the point of a common pin held in a pin vise. It takes patience, but if you make mistake, you can simply gesso over the faulty area and try again. This is another idea I got from Erik Ronnberg.
Finding a picture where the planking effect shows wasn't easy. This may be the best I have. I also happened to find a picture of the box it came in.
Sadly. all I used from the kit was the hull, pedestals and base. At first I thought I could make something of the other materials and fittings, but when time came to use them, I'd think, "Maybe I can do better than this".

View attachment 364082

View attachment 364083
Really beatifull! It is so good finished that it looks like a mcuh larger sclale. Excellent craftman

View attachment 364082

View attachment 364083
Excellent result, outstanding cargfmanship! It is so good finished that it looks like a much larger scale model!

Back