Vintage Models

I was just recently inspired to break them out. I was in rehab after getting a new hip and there was one of the Scientific models of the Thermopylae in a display case in the patient lounge. Nobody there could identify the ship of the kit except for me. It was well-built and the Nursing Staff enjoyed my accounts of the ship's history.

I have no photos yet because I am still recovering at home from surgery. However, I am starting to get around painfully but steadily. I will get some photos soon. That begs the question; how does one post photos and build logs here?

Bill
I hope you recover quickly!

I was just recently inspired to break them out. I was in rehab after getting a new hip and there was one of the Scientific models of the Thermopylae in a display case in the patient lounge. Nobody there could identify the ship of the kit except for me. It was well-built and the Nursing Staff enjoyed my accounts of the ship's history.

I have no photos yet because I am still recovering at home from surgery. However, I am starting to get around painfully but steadily. I will get some photos soon. That begs the question; how does one post photos and build logs here?

Bill
Have a swift and full recovery. I hope your new hip gives you great service and mobility!
I have a similar Scientific Models stash.
I kit bashed their Robt. E. Lee into a model of a similar riverboat, The John W. Cannon (who was the builder of the R.E. Lee) based on period photographs of that boat. There are pictures in gallery12. Fun build, the kit provided a great resource for modification.

Pete

Have a swift and full recovery. I hope your new hip gives you great service and mobility!
I have a similar Scientific Models stash.
I kit bashed their Robt. E. Lee into a model of a similar riverboat, The John W. Cannon (who was the builder of the R.E. Lee) based on period photographs of that boat. There are pictures in gallery12. Fun build, the kit provided a great resource for modification.

Pete
Thank you! What do you have in your Scientific stash?

Bill

Bill
Bill, sorry to hear about your surgery. I just prayed for a quick recovery. When you post a reply, you have a button/box in the corner that reads „attach files.“ You can attach photos using that method. On the tool bar at the top, you can choose the start thread option. Just play around with the site and you’ll figure it out. Gute Besserung!

Bill, sorry to hear about your surgery. I just prayed for a quick recovery. When you post a reply, you have a button/box in the corner that reads „attach files.“ You can attach photos using that method. On the tool bar at the top, you can choose the start thread option. Just play around with the site and you’ll figure it out. Gute Besserung!
Thanks!

Bill

Thank you!

Bill

I'll do an inventory and let you know. I went crazy on EBAY and pulled the trigger on everything in sight. :rolleyes:
vintage Scientific kit inventory:
3 Cutty Sarks,2 Scientific in different scales; one Marine Models in a slightly larger scale
Sovereign of the Seas
2 Bluenoses (one I plan to kit bash into the Gertude L. Thebaud, for which I have plans)
Seawitch
Flying Cloud (miniature scale, which I've already started)

Now if I live long enough... :rolleyes:

vintage Scientific kit inventory:
3 Cutty Sarks,2 Scientific in different scales; one Marine Models in a slightly larger scale
Sovereign of the Seas
2 Bluenoses (one I plan to kit bash into the Gertude L. Thebaud, for which I have plans)
Seawitch
Flying Cloud (miniature scale, which I've already started)

Now if I live long enough... :rolleyes:
I'm glad that you mentioned a Marine Models kit. I also have their kit of the Swordfish, sister to Sea Witch. These kits can be fun!

Bill

Good afternoon Vic. How are you doing- good I hope Thumbsup. I was wondering- when is a model classified as Vintage? I’m busy giving a billings Bounty 1:50 kit a “make over”. The kit was produced in 1979. I guess that is pretty vintage;). Cheers Grant
Doing great, Grant! School’s out so I may have some time to work on models. I’d count the bounty as vintage. I’ve started two different Bountys. One was a solid hull. I got tired of sanding it. The other was built in two sides. I never was able to fit the two sides together, so I gave up.

Doing great, Grant! School’s out so I may have some time to work on models. I’d count the bounty as vintage. I’ve started two different Bountys. One was a solid hull. I got tired of sanding it. The other was built in two sides. I never was able to fit the two sides together, so I gave up.
Vic,

I assume that you are a teacher. I retired from teaching five years ago and have enjoyed retirement thoroughly! Yes, I have all the time I need every day to enjoy modelling! It is great . . .

Bill

Vic,

I assume that you are a teacher. I retired from teaching five years ago and have enjoyed retirement thoroughly! Yes, I have all the time I need every day to enjoy modelling! It is great . . .

Bill
I retired as a principal six years ago. I got bored and did some subbing last year at a local Christian school. They asked me to teach three classes of Bible this year. Next year I teach English 9 and 10 and one Bible. I start at 10:00 and end at 12:30. Then I go to the gym for a couple hours. It’s a great gig. I do what I love and have time for family.

I retired as a principal six years ago. I got bored and did some subbing last year at a local Christian school. They asked me to teach three classes of Bible this year. Next year I teach English 9 and 10 and one Bible. I start at 10:00 and end at 12:30. Then I go to the gym for a couple hours. It’s a great gig. I do what I love and have time for family.
I thoroughly enjoyed teaching, especially in an inner city where I felt genuinely needed. But I increasingly felt an imperative to retire when I did; my wife suffered a cardiac aneurism several weeks later. Given that my first career was as an independent duty Hospital Corpsman in submarines, I was able to successfully diagnose her condition and got her to the hospital. She is living strongly now. God works in mysterious ways!

Bill

I thoroughly enjoyed teaching, especially in an inner city where I felt genuinely needed. But I increasingly felt an imperative to retire when I did; my wife suffered a cardiac aneurism several weeks later. Given that my first career was as an independent duty Hospital Corpsman in submarines, I was able to successfully diagnose her condition and got her to the hospital. She is living strongly now. God works in mysterious ways!

Bill
Amen!

Back