VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

I like it! Without paint, it looks more like a carving, though. But that's me, I don't have painting skills.

The problem is that the ship was painted already. My next ship will all be wood colour. I love that too. And with a good finish you can ad in that case also dept. But I'm glad I can paint it now, because of the polymer clay I ad sometimes. Paint is a good camouflage in that way.

@All thanks for visit my log, kind words and the likes

I ewould not say "ugly" - maybe "simplier"
You're right. They're indeed not very detailed. And I can transform them to more detail.

This one I did at the moment and took me 7 hours to redo

IMG_2929.JPG

It was nerve breaking, it is small but I think I did a good job on it.

IMG_2930.JPGIMG_2931.JPGIMG_2932.JPGIMG_2933.JPG

A little adjustments on the base and paint of course. But before painting I go for the other one in front of the first one. I go for 2 at a time. So I don't mess them up.

IMG_2935.JPG

@All thanks for visit my log, kind words and the likes

You're right. They're indeed not very detailed. And I can transform them to more detail.

This one I did at the moment and took me 7 hours to redo

View attachment 337508

It was nerve breaking, it is small but I think I did a good job on it.

View attachment 337509View attachment 337510View attachment 337511View attachment 337512

A little adjustments on the base and paint of course. But before painting I go for the other one in front of the first one. I go for 2 at a time. So I don't mess them up.

View attachment 337513
TOTALLY WORTH IT. Beautiful carving!

TOTALLY WORTH IT. Beautiful carving!

Thanks Kurt.
You have remarkable talent Stephan. It is a joy to see your work.
Thanks Paul.

I'm surprised by myself. I discover that "no rush" is the key by using the cutter and drilling machine. Just touching the wood with the mill and take away max. 0,1 mm wood at once. Better is less.

@All Thanks again for visiting my thread.
what is the key word, mon ami? The answer is - I Redo" :) it is proven that spending 7hours on version 2 is well worth the time spent. Much more details and look extremely awesome.
Thanks Jim, very kind words you say. You know I didn't make the first version? These where made by Jan. He started the build of the ship back in 2009, he didn't finish the build and asked on modelbouwforum if someone liked to go further on the build. I decided to volunteer and to redo a lot of parts. Most of the carvings I already did. But there where also a lot to make.

Back to this set of Romans
The second one is ready to paint to. More difficult? Yes in one way it was, but less time I put in it. It goes on some way faster. I think I do know better how to use the drills and when I have to change to a sphere, triangle or straight one. But the cutters I use are very small, but sometime still to big. The smallest sphere is 0,3 mm. but when using this on the dust makes it almost impossible to see what you do. The dust don't fly away but stays on the spot where you drill.

See the result of both.

IMG_2936.JPGIMG_2937.JPGIMG_2938.JPGIMG_2940.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2942.JPG

Because all the other ornaments are painted, these need to be painted too. My next ship, when my carving skills are better so I don't have to correct with polymer, I leave them in the wood colour. But this time I can train also my painting skills.
So enjoy the pictures of the finished Roman warriors.

View attachment 337085View attachment 337086View attachment 337087View attachment 337088View attachment 337089View attachment 337090View attachment 337091

On problem when you reshape the old ornaments, the rest will look real ugly and asking to go through the same treatment.

View attachment 337093

The reason I didn't choose for the Phrygian cap but for a helmet is, that in my research I didn't found any Roman Warriors with this cap, just slaves and freedom warriors against the Romans.
Thanks to following and watch my work, what comes next.... we will see
@All Thanks again for visiting my thread.

Thanks Jim, very kind words you say. You know I didn't make the first version? These where made by Jan. He started the build of the ship back in 2009, he didn't finish the build and asked on modelbouwforum if someone liked to go further on the build. I decided to volunteer and to redo a lot of parts. Most of the carvings I already did. But there where also a lot to make.

Back to this set of Romans
The second one is ready to paint to. More difficult? Yes in one way it was, but less time I put in it. It goes on some way faster. I think I do know better how to use the drills and when I have to change to a sphere, triangle or straight one. But the cutters I use are very small, but sometime still to big. The smallest sphere is 0,3 mm. but when using this on the dust makes it almost impossible to see what you do. The dust don't fly away but stays on the spot where you drill.

See the result of both.

View attachment 337574View attachment 337575View attachment 337576View attachment 337577View attachment 337578View attachment 337579
They are looking much much much much better and better. especially with the paint, Stephan. And the latest are even more better.
Regards, Peter

Wow Stephan,

You know what you did: you changed a set of minions into a pair of roman warriors.
Just wonderfull work, changing you from a shipmodeller into an artist.

They are looking much much much much better and better. especially with the paint, Stephan. And the latest are even more better.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. The paint gives indeed an extra because it's so tiny. With bare eyes hardly to see.

Wow Stephan,

You know what you did: you changed a set of minions into a pair of roman warriors.
Just wonderfull work, changing you from a shipmodeller into an artist.
That is a real nice compliment Maarten. There where moments I was thinking "That chissel, the tiny one Maarten showen me. That would be welcome right in this moment."

A skilled artist! Excellent carvings. Well done Stephan.
Thanks Herman, kind words

Faces are the most challenging (complex) in carving... you must took classes, Stephan.
Thanks Jim. No classes, just watching YouTube movies how to draw faces and how to sculp/cut heads by artist. There are a lot to find. But you're right about faces, they are complex, but there are some rules to keep in mind to let it look real. These movies give you inside what the rules are of making a face.

Back