VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

Thanks Peter. I was just thinking about the helmet. Did these Romans got a helmet or a freedom cap like the smurf's (smurven)

The Romans wore a gallus after Marius's reforms of the military equipment standards. It originated in Gaul (France). The soldier on the right below is me at a reenactment. I made Roman and medieval armor and weapons for years. @Steef66, your carving is excellent! Did the heads on the ship model even have helmets?

Cornelius&Julian.jpg

Last edited:
That is one mean-looking warrior Stephan. Excellent carving work again!
Thanks my friend

Very good carving - looking very good
Maybe you should make the roman soldiers during a break without wearing the helmet
it is looking very complicated to make in carving
View attachment 336593
View attachment 336594
Thanks Uwe

The Romans wore a gallus after Mario's reforms of the military equipment standards. It originated in Gaul (France). The soldier on the right below is me at a reenactment. I made Roman and medieval armor and weapons for years. @Steef66, your carving is excellent! Did the heads on the ship model even have helmets?

View attachment 336598
Thanks Kurt

The problem on Dutch ships are these Roman warriors, mostly they show not a standaard Roman Warrior like you both show. But more like the freedom warriors of the 16th century. With a Phrygian Cap (Smurfs cap)
Or like the warrior found in the Waddenzee near the Dutch coast. I think that it should be like that. Maybe @Ab Hoving knows the answer.
Below the link about these caps

Hello Stephan the carving result is super I envy you for this art.
Thanks Tobias, I envy your skills in shipbuilding. I hope to reach your level once. And carving isn't difficult, just patience and a good drill with cutters

You make me blush Stephan, I am a complete beginner, thank you very much. Despite all this, I have the utmost respect for the carvings.

@Jimsky @Herman many thanks for your compliments.

@Maarten also thanks..
The replica have helmets but the museummodel looks a little like a Phrygian Cap. I'm gonna sleep a night over it and try something how that looks

Thanks my friend

Thanks Uwe

Thanks Kurt

The problem on Dutch ships are these Roman warriors, mostly they show not a standaard Roman Warrior like you both show. But more like the freedom warriors of the 16th century. With a Phrygian Cap (Smurfs cap)
Or like the warrior found in the Waddenzee near the Dutch coast. I think that it should be like that. Maybe @Ab Hoving knows the answer.
Below the link about these caps
That's very interesting!

@All thanks for the input and all the likes, they are appreciated.
I found these 2 pictures

IMG_7592.JPG.942730c4ec60142a52431893a8595a41.JPG
it looks like a .....

IMG_7578.JPG.493c051c75d4988d0933d0077198eaeb.JPG

Is it a helmet?

In my search of the Phrygian cap, you see a lot of strange pictures. But sometimes you think: "poor women in Pompeii" ROTFROTF

Pompeya_erótica6.jpg

This morning I started with the looks of the eyes and tried something with the cap. (Don't worry, needed to bring some relief in the head to get some Fimo clay in it to get a better helmet, the original is to small )

IMG_2898.JPGIMG_2899.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2901.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2905.JPG

Not bad, but......

Update later

Thanks again for the likes and comments to my log.

The helmets are ready and I did a dry fit of the 2 heads. Now I have to clean the mounting surface of old glue and paint the heads. Still a lot of work to do.

When the old glue is gone they fit better in their place like before.

IMG_2913.JPGIMG_2914.JPGIMG_2915.JPGIMG_2916.JPGIMG_2917.JPGIMG_2918.JPG

Because all the other ornaments are painted, these need to be painted too. My next ship, when my carving skills are better so I don't have to correct with polymer, I leave them in the wood colour. But this time I can train also my painting skills.
So enjoy the pictures of the finished Roman warriors.

IMG_2919.JPGIMG_2921.JPGIMG_2922.JPGIMG_2924.JPGIMG_2925.JPGIMG_2926.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

On problem when you reshape the old ornaments, the rest will look real ugly and asking to go through the same treatment.

IMG_2929.JPG

The reason I didn't choose for the Phrygian cap but for a helmet is, that in my research I didn't found any Roman Warriors with this cap, just slaves and freedom warriors against the Romans.
Thanks to following and watch my work, what comes next.... we will see

Back