VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

How is the sailcloth behaving after so much tape?? I ask because I use similar tape to mend trousers and some materials become quite stiff (put the dirty thoughts away ROTF)
It's getting a bit stiff. Not much. The tape is thin, very thin. It's Japanse paper with a film of glue. You can't work with it when a fan or something is in the room. Then when you done, you can form it in every way you want. Just heat it up.
This paper is just 9 g/m² transparant. Normal paper for your printer is 80-90 g/m² the glue makes it stiff.

More info, need to make an account

@all thanks again for the input and likes

Stitching the bolt rope.
This is still a test, that's why I use hemp rope and not rope I produce myself. I got this in my stock an perfect for the job.
I think the pictures tell the story

IMG_2766.JPGIMG_2767.JPGIMG_2768.JPGIMG_2769.JPGIMG_2770.JPG

note: objects in picture looking bigger then they are in real. The serafil is as thick as a hair.

Hi Stephan. Yesterday I saw your Prins Willem in real life and what a rigging your made ….. :D:) The photos did not give half the impression. Time was to short to talk about more items, such as the making sails. My intention is to set some furled sails on my BN, so for sure I will contact you for more information about your tests. Maybe I start the engine of my K1 when the weather is nice and make a visit. Because meeting each other face to face and talk about models is the best there is.
Regards, Peter

Hi Stephan,

Your Prins Wllem is certainly very beautiful when fully enjoying in real.
I am also very interested in your sail making journey as I need to make sails for my RC in the coming year. So hope you clear the pathway here for us.

Allthough I don t have a K1 but have to take 2 wheels more with me, it would be a joy to discuss it somewhere in the near future. :-)

Hi Stephan. Yesterday I saw your Prins Willem in real life and what a rigging your made ….. :D:) The photos did not give half the impression. Time was to short to talk about more items, such as the making sails. My intention is to set some furled sails on my BN, so for sure I will contact you for more information about your tests. Maybe I start the engine of my K1 when the weather is nice and make a visit. Because meeting each other face to face and talk about models is the best there is.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter, Yes you are always welcome for a visit. Everyone is welcome here to step by and talk about our hobby. Also give you a demonstration in making rope.

Hi Stephan,

Your Prins Wllem is certainly very beautiful when fully enjoying in real.
I am also very interested in your sail making journey as I need to make sails for my RC in the coming year. So hope you clear the pathway here for us.

Allthough I don t have a K1 but have to take 2 wheels more with me, it would be a joy to discuss it somewhere in the near future. :)
Thanks Maarten, Yes for sure your welcome too. The sail making is a thing I like to share. Maybe we can experience things together under a cup of coffee or something stronger. You both are welcome. to come over. Let me know.

The latest update about the sails.

I experience with colour, Ecoline. But that's something you need to do first. before taping. The water loosing up the glue of the tape.
And there is a problem with the cotton I used. It is not the best product to use in this way. I gonna start it over with shoebox paper.

IMG_2810.JPG

Today I went to an old lady nearby, she have a sewing studio for bridal clothing. I buy some leftovers from her to experiment with. The Voile Cotton was already in my possession.

Silk Crêpe de Chine
IMG_2852.JPG

I love this one, very thin and very flexible

Bourette silk
IMG_2853.JPG

cotton with a little bit of polyester, don't know the exact name of it. She told me, but she also told me a lot of other things :cool:

IMG_2854.JPG

This one I already had in my possession, it is also okay, soft and flexible and thin. The above is more thin but less flexible.

Voile Cotton
IMG_2857.JPG

A lot of fabrics to test with.

Last edited:
Today I went to an old lady nearby, she have a sewing studio for bridal clothing. I buy some leftovers from her to experiment with. The Voile Cotton was already in my possession.

Silk Crêpe de Chine
View attachment 330716

I love this one, very thin and very flexible

Bourette silk
View attachment 330717

cotton with a little bit of polyester, don't know the exact name of it. She told me, but she also told me a lot of other things :cool:

View attachment 330718

This one I already had in my possession, it is also okay, soft and flexible and thin. The above is more thin but less flexible.

Voile Cotton
View attachment 330719

A lot of fabrics to test with.
Hi Stephan. I have ordered 4 different samples from the company in England who also sold the Navara Fine lawn.
When the are arrived I show them. The Navara is 70 grams per m2 (gsm). By the samples also some from 60 and 50 gsm.
Regards, Peter

Hi Stephan. I have ordered 4 different samples from the company in England who also sold the Navara Fine lawn.
When the are arrived I show them. The Navara is 70 grams per m2 (gsm). By the samples also some from 60 and 50 gsm.
Regards, Peter
I believe Ab Hoving is using this one. It could be the third picture where I dont know the name of. It is very thin and cotton too.
For the look I would go by the 4 samples I have for the Voile cotton. Very fine woven and flexible. The bourette silk is the most flexible of these 4.
The problem using these fabrics for sails is, when fabrics are hemmed, the hem actually provides the stiffness.

When do we plan the meeting?

I believe Ab Hoving is using this one. It could be the third picture where I dont know the name of. It is very thin and cotton too.
For the look I would go by the 4 samples I have for the Voile cotton. Very fine woven and flexible. The bourette silk is the most flexible of these 4.
The problem using these fabrics for sails is, when fabrics are hemmed, the hem actually provides the stiffness.

When do we plan the meeting?
I am on holiday the first 2 weeks of October. After that: plan via PM?
Regards, Peter

when fabrics are hemmed, the hem actually provides the stiffness
Indeed. And so does the bolt rope. Neither of which is really helpful because both the hem and the bolt rope are necessarily out of scale because the fabric is out of scale.

Still, in the hands of gifted modelers like you two, I believe it can be done convincingly.

Indeed. And so does the bolt rope. Neither of which is really helpful because both the hem and the bolt rope are necessarily out of scale because the fabric is out of scale.

Still, in the hands of gifted modelers like you two, I believe it can be done convincingly.
Thanks, yes and that's why we want to give it a try to find the right fabrics, ropes and how too fit them to keep it all flexible. Something we want to discover and share. The look of Ab's models are great, but still missing the reality factor.

Mistakes I made that might be helpful:

I tried to sew the hem but it was so out of scale (size of the stitches as well as the width of the fold necessary for sewing) that I ended up gluing it with a speciality fabric glue rather than stitching it. It remained very flexible but not as flexible as the fabric itself.
I also didn't like the look of the 'stitched on' bolt rope so I glued that on as well. Same comment as above.
I used my baked polyester ropes for the bolt rope. Perhaps you have noticed that baked poly ropes get a little stiff compared to unbaked ropes. While this allows them to 'hang' very smoothly when used as a rigged line this additional stiffness did not help on the sails. I would try either unbaked poly or cotton bolt ropes.
I rather like the Navara Fine Lawn but it too is ultimately too thick.

I hope these notes are helpful...

Back